Thread: Beta Blocker Tolerance? Please help!!

Default Beta Blocker Tolerance? Please help!!

I typically take 20mg of propranolol 2-3 days a week. I've had a few instances recently where it hasn't been as effective.

A few weeks ago I had an extremely important presentation and hours before I was almost shaking because I was so nervous. I took 20mg 4 hours before, 2 hours before I'm still shaking, so I take another 20mg 1 hour later which still didn't help. I took another 20mg, went on a walk, and came back calm as a bird.

Then today I took 20mg for just a simple meeting with some people and also took 20mg. My heart rate was totally fine, but my body still had a ton of anxiety and I could feel myself shaking a bit.

What's going on? Has anyone experienced this? Is this a tolerance issue? No flushing by the way, just tremors / anxiety..
    Last edited by beherenow; 9th November 2019 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beherenow View Post
    I typically take 20mg of propranolol 2-3 days a week. I've had a few instances recently where it hasn't been as effective.

A few weeks ago I had an extremely important presentation and hours before I was almost shaking because I was so nervous. I took 20mg 4 hours before, 2 hours before I'm still shaking, so I take another 20mg 1 hour later which still didn't help. I took another 20mg, went on a walk, and came back calm as a bird.

Then today I took 20mg for just a simple meeting with some people and also took 20mg. My heart rate was totally fine, but my body still had a ton of anxiety and I could feel myself shaking a bit.

What's going on? Has anyone experienced this? Is this a tolerance issue? No flushing by the way, just tremors / anxiety..
    hard question to answer this as everyones tolerance to drugs is different , but if you dont take it daily its highly unlikely you have built up any tolerance , and 20 mg is a low level - the prop i have is 40mg and the doc said take 2 in the morning , so thats 4 times as much as you expect to work ...

i also have to do meetings in the morning and find that between 40 and 80 mg works fine for me ... you need to stop trying to drip feed it into your system at 20 mg a time , its too low - start on 40 or 60 mg in one go and im sure you will see a difference ...

good luck !