Thread: Mixing horse paste

Default Mixing horse paste

I definitely think demodex is the root of my rosacea no big pustules since using soolantra but I dont think the carrier cream is agreeing with my skin .
    I’ve looked on the forum but can’t find how you’d go about mixing horse paste with a moisturiser that agrees with your skin. Has anyone tried it if so what ratio and what brand of horse paste did you use ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rubydo1 View Post
    I definitely think demodex is the root of my rosacea no big pustules since using soolantra but I dont think the carrier cream is agreeing with my skin .
    Iíve looked on the forum but canít find how youíd go about mixing horse paste with a moisturiser that agrees with your skin. Has anyone tried it if so what ratio and what brand of horse paste did you use ?
    Dilution equation from Wikipedia:
    C1 * V1 = C2 * V2

Where:
    C1 = 1.87% = 0.0187 Percentage of Ivermectin in the Horse Paste
    C2 = 1.0% = 0.01 Percentage of Ivermectin in DIY Soolantra
    V1 = Weight of Horse Paste tube
    V2 = Weight of final mixture

Weight of Moisturizer to add = V2 - V1

The 0.21 oz tube of DuraMectin Ivermectin Horse Paste (Amazon US) is about 5.93 grams by weight.

To dilute the 1.87% Ivermectin horse paste with the cream down to a 1% solution would then work out as follows:
    Per 0.21 oz or 5.93 gm tube of horse paste:
    Ounces:
    0.0187 * 0.21 = 0.01 * V2
    V2 = (0.0187/0.01) * 0.21 = 0.3927 oz Total Volume of 1% Ivermectin completed mix.
    Amount of Moisturizer to add: 0.3927 - 0.21 = 0.1827 oz of moisturizer per tube.

Grams:
    0.0187 * 5.93 = 0.01 * V2
    V2 = (0.0187/0.01) * 5.93 = 11.089 gm Total Volume of completed mix.
    Amount of Moisturizer to add: 11.089 - 5.93 = 5.1591 gm of moisturizer per tube of horse paste.

I took the combined 2 drug oral treatment for 2 weeks and never used the topical Soolantra.
    I posted this about a year ago in the non-prescription forum here but no one ever responded that they had tried it.

https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea...ethrin-Creams)

Rubydo1,
    Most anecdotal reports use the horse paste (gel) topically without mixing it with anything. However, there are a few reports of mixing it with your favorite moisturizer 50/50 topically. There are scant few who have reported taking oral ivermectin, but without a doubt this number will continue to grow, since there are now physicians prescribing oral ivermectin along with oral metronidazole for rosacea, not to mention there are some who are taking the horse paste orally, but very few confirmed reports. From the anecdotal reports posted on private rosacea social media groups like Facebook and Reddit, there are way more positive reports on using horse paste than there are negative reports. As for the carrier cream for Soolantra, this has been discussed before, which Galderma calls the 'mechanism of action (MOA) and the basis for vehicle' using Cetaphil, which some report that using Cetaphil irritates their rosacea. That is one of the reasons why horse paste (gel) seems to work better than Soolantra in some cases because the inactive ingredients in horse paste are far less than in Soolantra. The fewer the inactive ingredients the less chance of irritation to sensitive skin. Without a doubt, Galderma is looking at this and will be releasing a Soolantra GEL with very few inactive ingredients to compete with the horse paste. Galderma knows what is going on with rosacea sufferers and without a doubt watched as Soolantra sales dropped with some significance and horse paste sales on Amazon spiked to all time highs.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 9th November 2019 at 05:44 PM.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    Rubydo1,
    Most anecdotal reports use the horse paste (gel) topically without mixing it with anything. However, there are a few reports of mixing it with your favorite moisturizer 50/50 topically. There are scant few who have reported taking oral ivermectin, but without a doubt this number will continue to grow, since there are now physicians prescribing oral ivermectin along with oral metronidazole for rosacea, not to mention there are some who are taking the horse paste orally, but very few confirmed reports. From the anecdotal reports posted on private rosacea social media groups like Facebook and Reddit, there are way more positive reports on using horse paste than there are negative reports. As for the carrier cream for Soolantra, this has been discussed before, which Galderma calls the 'mechanism of action (MOA) and the basis for vehicle' using Cetaphil, which some report that using Cetaphil irritates their rosacea. That is one of the reasons why horse paste (gel) seems to work better than Soolantra in some cases because the inactive ingredients in horse paste are far less than in Soolantra. The fewer the inactive ingredients the less chance of irritation to sensitive skin. Without a doubt, Galderma is looking at this and will be releasing a Soolantra GEL with very few inactive ingredients to compete with the horse paste. Galderma knows what is going on with rosacea sufferers and without a doubt watched as Soolantra sales dropped with some significance and horse paste sales on Amazon spiked to all time highs.
    Wow that would be really good. I tried cetaphill moisturiser and my skin didnít like it so I knew Iíd struggle with soolantra but it has helped kill the mites but my skin is angry but no big spots so itís doing the job but Iíve managed 10 weeks but I think Iím going to have to use the treatment for longer than the 12 weeks.
    Iím seeing the derm in December. I have to circles on my chin not sure if itís ezcema from using soolantra.
    Is there a good Uk horse paste brand ? A lot suggested on other sights seem to be American.

I think Brady has a good suggestion about just using the horse paste without mixing it with moisturizer. Given that you have had such a struggle with finding cleaning and moisturizing products that your skin can tolerate. The horse paste is a little stronger than the Soolantra 1% Ivermectin cream. But being a bit stronger, that might mean it actually works better.

Another option: On the RRDI recently, a forum member found on US Amazon, a 1% Ivermectin solution for animals. She was trying to figure out how to mix it with something to make a less expensive home made equivalent to Soolantra. But the solution was already at 1% Ivermectin - mixing it with anything would make it too weak. I suggested that she just pat a few drops of the solution on her face after cleaning. Use that one like a serum first. Let it dry. Then apply the moisturizer of her choice.

One on the UK Amazon site that might work is PHARMAQ Ivermectin Drops 1% 5ml - Mite Treatment for Small Furries. The version for birds and smaller animals is too weak at 0.1%. Soolantra is a 1% mix.

Some of the other animal products for mites also have insecticide in them - I would advise against using any of those as possibly toxic. Disclaimer: I have not tried any of these product, so I do not have any information as to whether or not they work on a human being or not. Proceed at your own risk - read the labels and be very careful!

Has anyone tried it if so what ratio and what brand of horse paste did you use ?
    That has been one of my bone of contentions that many who report success in using horse paste (gel) never mention what brand they are using. I tried to get a poll on this, but alas, RRDi members simply don't post or take polls (only 3 so far as of this date).
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 11th November 2019 at 09:00 PM.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Is there a good Uk horse paste brand ?
    The only UK brand I have heard about is Noromectin.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi