Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can klonopin cause flushing?

Default Can klonopin cause flushing?

I'm about two weeks out from 5 treatments at Darms' office under their condenced protocol. I'm having a very ruff time, and seem to be in a constant flush, which is very discouraging as I only had mild rosacea when I entered his office. Well anyway, they have me on a bunch of meds, including clonodine, inderal and oral steroids. Several days ago I requested an anti-anxiety med and they put me one klonopin. The last two days since taking this med I've woken with a brick red face. Well, it seems to me that I'm either getting worse, or maybe klonopin is the culprit.

Has anyone experienced any increased flusing with klonopin?

I think you need to be careful with Klonopin - it is something many with rosacea use on an occasional basis to typically reduce flushing to heat (I have found it works for me). My understanding is you should not take more than 8 in a month, an absolutely no more than 3 days in a row or it can cause a rebound reaction. Dr Nase once gave a good description of how Klonopin worked to increase the heat threshold but I dont' have it handy right now.
    Diane
    Vancouver Island, BC

How much klonopin do you take? If it's a high dosage, or if you're taking any other meds or herbs that cause interactions, my guess is that your breathing becomes shallower (hypoventilation) at night and you're more red because of lack of oxygen.

How do you feel in the morning? If you're really heavy and have extra crust around your eyes, then that would tend to confirm my guess.

Default Re: Can klonopin cause flushing?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveYork
    I'm about two weeks out from 5 treatments at Darms' office under their condenced protocol. I'm having a very ruff time, and seem to be in a constant flush, which is very discouraging as I only had mild rosacea when I entered his office. Well anyway, they have me on a bunch of meds, including clonodine, inderal and oral steroids. Several days ago I requested an anti-anxiety med and they put me one klonopin. The last two days since taking this med I've woken with a brick red face. Well, it seems to me that I'm either getting worse, or maybe klonopin is the culprit.

Has anyone experienced any increased flusing with klonopin?

Yeah...were you taking it regularly?

The only reason I could see klonopin causing flushing would be if it knocked you out and you slept funny on your face, causing the flushing.

Hang in there, man. It's not unusual to be flushed/red/waking to odd flushing a week or two or even three after a treatment. Flushing isn't necessarily a killer post-laser--your body dose have to heal by getting blood to the wounded areas; but you have rosacea, so it may seem a bit excessive at times, given your facial vasculature and trigger response.

Hang in there. A week or two of bad flushing isn't terrible after laser...look to view progress over several weeks, several months.

One thing I've found that helps is if you position a box fan toward your exposed calves (they're not covered by a blanket) and run that so you don't get any mechanical irritation from the airflow over your recovering face. Your feet are full of blood vessels and can help you cool off without direct application of fan air to your face (which has set me back, at times, in the past).

Good luck, man. It's hard to have patience all the time, but rushing/forcing things generally makes you worse off.

David
    35 year-old male
    Erythmatotelangiectatic rosacea & Ocular
    20 + laser treatments.
    Toleraine Soothing Light Facial Fluid for moisturizer. I don't use a special cleanser. Clonidine daily; klonopin sometimes.
    BEST and CURRENT TREATMENT I use: Low-Level Red Light Therapy LED array.
    Please feel free to PM me with your low-level red light therapy (LLRLT) questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

I've been taking it now for a couple of days to cool my nerves following a bad post treatment flare. It doesn't seem to cause flusing. So there, I answered my own question.

Well, let me take that back. I've taken 14 klonopin this week out of a prescribed dose of 21 (3 a day) to help smooth my nerves to allow me to get through a very bad post treatment flare period. The last two days that I've taken klonopin, I've gone into a major flush. They were also days when I ended the topical steroids and started on Elidel. So something is going on here, and I don't know what. I even read Nase's post to my doc and he said it was o'kay to take the klonodin. I'm going to discontinue the klonodin, and see what happens. Maybe it is the Elidel?

This post treatment flare is very frustrating. These set backs are tremendously discouraging.

I'd look at the Elidel before the klonopin. I have no experience with with Elidel, but if you do a search on here or the r-s site you may get some experiences.

Using topicals post-laser that are mildly irritating can exacerbate your post-treatment flair. I think this was, in part, what pushed me to a state of extreme intolerance after a laser treatment about 2 years ago.

My inclination would be to say that the problem would be topical-related over klonopin-related.

There were times after laser treatments where I would be very sensitive, waking up in the middle of the night flushed, pained, extremely annoyed, disheartened, etc--this could last for a couple weeks sometimes. I know it's hard but giving yourself some time to recover may be the only thing to do right now. You might consider giving up topical applications to make sure you're not compounding the problem through irritation. I'm sure you know more about your topicals than I do, though. Good luck.

P.S.--Are you sleeping with a fan on you?

David
    35 year-old male
    20 + laser treatments.
    Toleraine Soothing Light Facial Fluid for moisturizer. I don't use a special cleanser. Clonidine daily; klonopin sometimes.
    Please feel free to PM me with your low-level red light therapy (LLRLT) questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

David -- A fan is on my list for tomorrow.

It could be the Elidel, but I'm inclined to think that it is the klonopin, just given the timeing of the meds.

On Friday, I used a little Elidel on my cheeks at 9AM I just wanted to see if there was an adverse reaction. At 10AM, I took a klonopin, and it was later in the afternoon that I had this massive flare. I didn't record the time. My second Elidel application, which I believe was a full face application, was at 5pm, and I don't recall flaring that evening before going to sleep.

Today, my first Elidel application was at 6:45 AM. I then took a 1/2 klonopin at 10:30 AM and a second half at 11:30 AM. And it was at about 1pm that my armpits start sweating, the red face appears, and I have a pretty good flare going. And then my second Elidel application was at 10:30 pm (a full face). I was very red at 11:30 pm when i was on the computer, but by 12:30 AM I was back to a non-flare status.

The real test will be later today when I use only Elidel and not klonopin, and see what happens. That's not to say that Elidel does not cause some transient redness and stinging -- it does.

I may have been using just too much klonopin. It was unusual for me to take it during the day, because my anxiety levels are now down, and I was just using it as a sleep aid for these night time flushes. The last two days were just an unusual exception.

But you may be right. I may just have to discontinue these types of topicals for awhile.

It may be the Elidel. I should know tomorrow, right?

I was just asking about the fan because it can be seductive to fall into using a fan to cool one's face when in fact the mechanical irritation of the fan's airflow on your face can make you more sensitive the next day. Be careful with fans--blow it across your body or legs--try to avoid direct application of a fan's airflow to your face--that's proven problematic for me, on repeated occasions.

I can imagine an afternoon flare/flushing episode if you're very sensitive.
    When I was very bad off, at the tail end of my clonidine dose, I'd begin to get flushed much more easily. I'd wake up around 7-8am, take a clonidine, take another dose around 2 pm or so. Then, around 5 or 6pm I'd begin to really get spontaneously flushed. It was just a cyclic thing and that I was hyper-sensitive.

I've done this before--trying to pin down a single reason that explains my flushing, but that tends not to work.

I really don't understand why klonopin would cause flushing. I'm not a pharmacist, though. The only thing klonopin has done for me is allowing me to tolerate social situations or mild physical activity better. Clonidine is more "acutely" effective for me--it has a more recognizeable effect on my face than klonopin. The two drugs act differently, though.

Anyway--good luck. I'm just saying that klonopin, unless you've built up a tolerance and your dose is wearing off, shouldn't, as far as I understand, cause any sort of flush response.

It's so difficult to juggle all the potential triggers and sort them out....

Good luck.
    35 year-old male
    20 + laser treatments.

Hi Steve,

I honestly have never questioned it and just thought that I was sensitive to klonopin but I too flush in the way that you describe when I have taken it in the past. I no longer take these types of meds but remember at the beginning when things were tough, I would very very occasionally take a small amount of xanax but never for more than a total of 6 days a month. It always calmed my anxiety much more efficiently than the klonopin and with no flushing. It is interesting to hear of another person who may have a sensitivity to it like yourself. I've always been of the mentality that nothing should ever be ruled out and just because the majority of people respond favourably, doesn't mean I will.

As for the fan, this is just my personal preference but I find it very uncomfortable to sleep with air blowing on my body and legs. When it gets very hot here, I find it much more soothing and comforting to have a gentle oscillating fan directed towards my face a couple of meters away. Like anything, this is just my personal preference and although I rarely flush anymore, I never noticed an increase in flushing when I was using the fan more regularly in the past. I think for me it was of a great psychological benefit knowing that I was cool and comfortable during my sleeping hours.

As for your post IPL flare, I can't recall if you mentioned the use of pulse dosing with macrolide antibiotics with your doctor. Thanks to Clarithromycin, I rarely have any problems post treatment. Might be worth discussing.

Don't worry, things will calm down.