Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Willing to try anything

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    Have you tried the ZZ Cream?
    No, I havenít. Is it supposed to help with flushing?

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    No, I havenít. Is it supposed to help with flushing?
    No. It is supposed to help with acne/rosacea. Just search throughout RF in the search box about zz cream (lots of threads on this subject). If you want a list of flushing avoidance treatments.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

I have found that Zhongzhou cream helps a little with the flushing but only in addition to medications (but it definitely does help stop flushing during sleeping for example). Prof Powell and colleagues do say now that redness and flushing are also associated with demodex mites.

I'd say it helps more with the redness than the flushing, but on areas such as the ears where I have never had pustules or papules.

Chai - I think trying to get hold of moxonodine and trying Zhongzhou cream as I know you're trying to do would really help, at least from my experience. It's the combination that will help.

I'll also mention again Periactin, as an anti-histamine option which is available over the counter and has also really helped blunt flushing for me - maybe that will give some relief while you try to get the moxonodine.
    Last edited by antwantsclear; 29th December 2019 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    I have found that Zhongzhou cream helps a little with the flushing but only in addition to medications (but it definitely does help stop flushing during sleeping for example). Prof Powell and colleagues do say now that redness and flushing are also associated with demodex mites.

I'd say it helps more with the redness than the flushing, but on areas such as the ears where I have never had pustules or papules.

Chai - I think trying to get hold of moxonodine and trying Zhongzhou cream as I know you're trying to do would really help, at least from my experience. It's the combination that will help.

I'll also mention again Periactin, as an anti-histamine option which is available over the counter and has also really helped blunt flushing for me - maybe that will give some relief while you try to get the moxonodine.
    Thank you for the feedback! Iím not seeing periactin - maybe itís also not available here in the US? I do find Benadryl helps some unless Iím in a really bad flare. I go tomorrow for a Botox treatment and am going to ask about moxonidine and other oral options. My guess is she hasnít used it before because she always emphasizes that Iím already on the ďbig gunĒ medication with Clonidine.

Thank you for the feedback! I’m not seeing periactin - maybe it’s also not available here in the US? I do find Benadryl helps some unless I’m in a really bad flare. I go tomorrow for a Botox treatment and am going to ask about moxonidine and other oral options. My guess is she hasn’t used it before because she always emphasizes that I’m already on the “big gun” medication with Clonidine.
    You could tell her that the UK dermatologist and rosacea expert, Prof Tony Chu, recommended moxonodine, especially when clonidine didn't work. She'll be able to see it's a alpha blocker drug like clonidine - it's a newer drug that works better than clonidine though. You may well need the prescription to be filled in Canada through one of the regulated online pharmacies, Laser Cat suggests. I've been on it for about 9 years now - it seems pretty safe.

Iím not seeing periactin - maybe itís also not available here in the US? .
    periactin / cyproheptadine is prescription here in US.

Daily aspirin is something else I'm not sure you've tried. There are 2 case reports I can think of, pairing paxil with aspirin (but they prob needed paxil too)

Thank you for the feedback! I’m not seeing periactin - maybe it’s also not available here in the US? I do find Benadryl helps some unless I’m in a really bad flare. I go tomorrow for a Botox treatment and am going to ask about moxonidine and other oral options. My guess is she hasn’t used it before because she always emphasizes that I’m already on the “big gun” medication with Clonidine.
    Clonidine is not very effective, although I know a lot of dermatologists still prescribe it for rosacea. The problem is, even when it does work, it tends to reduce in effectiveness over time (see posts on this forum through the search function in the right hand corner). Moxonodine doesn't seem to reduce in effectiveness over years, whereas with clonidine people usually have to keep taking more and more and it still doesn't work eventually.
    Last edited by antwantsclear; 30th December 2019 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    Clonidine is not very effective, although I know a lot of dermatologists still prescribe it for rosacea. The problem is, even when it does work, it tends to reduce in effectiveness over time (see posts on this forum through the search function in the right hand corner). Moxonodine doesn't seem to reduce in effectiveness over years, whereas with clonidine people usually have to keep taking more and more and it still doesn't work eventually.
    What is the standard dose people take of Moxonidine?

My dermatologist was willing to prescribe but when she discovered itís not approved in the US, she said she cannot.

I have tried increasing the clonidine some and maybe it helps a little, and I went up on my Celexa dose. But overall not much seems to help.

200mcg 2 or 3 times per day. You can send the prescription to a Canadian pharmacy if you can find a doctor to prescribe it to you in the US.