Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Willing to try anything

Default Willing to try anything

Other than the Type 2 symptoms I had at the beginning, everything is probably worse than it was 2 years ago. Well. Maybe at baseline itís better but the problem is Iím rarely at baseline. Iím flushing and/or in pain for large portions of the day.

So I have time coming up where I will be off work and would be willing to try anything. Iím sick of being controlled by this- what I eat, drink, lack of exercise, socializing, etc. is all affected and if I canít get some kind of handle on it I might just be at the point I quit working (a job I used to love).

So throw your weirdest or most drastic ideas at me to investigate... I have tried all the standard medications.

one idea is

low dose accutane. You mention you had bumps (?) and sometimes low dose helps flushing/burning - though I've only found testimonials from people who have bumps

https://rosacea-support.org/low-dose-accutane.html

try LDN to up skins tolerance and shorten the length of flushes... if that is an issue

Thanks! The Type 2 seems to be totally under control with spironolactone. Iím scared to try Accutane for flushing since so many people got here in the first place from it, but itís on my list... I think I should give LDN a real try. Iím going to call and fill my script today.

What about skin texture? I assume LDN doesnít help with that. I have tried micro Botox and IPL and PDL. Anything that might just overall improve the look of my skin, irrespective of the redness and flushing?

Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    one idea is

low dose accutane. You mention you had bumps (?) and sometimes low dose helps flushing/burning - though I've only found testimonials from people who have bumps

https://rosacea-support.org/low-dose-accutane.html
    Laser_cat, I did take your earlier suggestion and added another antidepressant. So far no real change but itís early yet. I would love to get off mirtazapine and just stick with Celexa but Iím scared it might get worse. I just have gained at least 10 lbs over what is acceptable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Laser_cat, I did take your earlier suggestion and added another antidepressant. So far no real change but it’s early yet. I would love to get off mirtazapine and just stick with Celexa but I’m scared it might get worse. I just have gained at least 10 lbs over what is acceptable to me.
    I hope it is of some benefit for you - even just the depression part.

yeah, i don't really like the mirtaz. either, but in my experience things get unpredictable if I try to taper (antidepressants generally). One day you/I could probably try a reaaal slow taper, I imagine (even if 1 mg at a time with liquid formulation)

I hope the LDN helps you

I might try the low dose accutane myself. 2 different derms brought it up in the past (I have no bumps). I'll discuss it more with them. I think it would help flares if they are inflammation-based, but not if they aren't. I have a friend in real life (lol) who takes low dose for acne - her derm said she could be on it forever. When she forgot to pickup at the pharmacy, she noticed her flushing/burning worsened / went back to baseline. But I agree, it seems a bit of a wild card. I imagine that would help with any swelling + skin texture, though

low dose birth control might be another thing.
    Last edited by laser_cat; 29th October 2019 at 06:38 PM.

Hi Chai, skin texture improves by using an oil-based lotion with Vitamin A (0.05%), Vitamin D (0.005%), and High Molecular Weight Sodium Hyaluronate (0.3%). The percent of Sodium Hyaluronate isn't so important, but the percent of the Vitamins is. It's also important to use only High Molecular Weight for the Sodium Hyaluronate, but manufacturers don't usually disclose this information.

These ingredients will visibly improve overall skin health and texture, but of course don't treat the underlying condition, so they should be added to whatever you're finding useful for the underlying condition -- you will see an improvement though.

Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    I hope it is of some benefit for you - even just the depression part.

yeah, i don't really like the mirtaz. either, but in my experience things get unpredictable if I try to taper (antidepressants generally). One day you/I could probably try a reaaal slow taper, I imagine (even if 1 mg at a time with liquid formulation)

I hope the LDN helps you

I might try the low dose accutane myself. 2 different derms brought it up in the past (I have no bumps). I'll discuss it more with them. I think it would help flares if they are inflammation-based, but not if they aren't. I have a friend in real life (lol) who takes low dose for acne - her derm said she could be on it forever. When she forgot to pickup at the pharmacy, she noticed her flushing/burning worsened / went back to baseline. But I agree, it seems a bit of a wild card. I imagine that would help with any swelling + skin texture, though

low dose birth control might be another thing.
    I actually also had a derm suggest low dose Accutane and I started the application process and then got scared. Maybe I should consider it more seriously though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Busby View Post
    Hi Chai, skin texture improves by using an oil-based lotion with Vitamin A (0.05%), Vitamin D (0.005%), and High Molecular Weight Sodium Hyaluronate (0.3%). The percent of Sodium Hyaluronate isn't so important, but the percent of the Vitamins is. It's also important to use only High Molecular Weight for the Sodium Hyaluronate, but manufacturers don't usually disclose this information.

These ingredients will visibly improve overall skin health and texture, but of course don't treat the underlying condition, so they should be added to whatever you're finding useful for the underlying condition -- you will see an improvement though.
    Thanks, Tom! Do you make this yourself or is there a good product or two with this configuration?