Thread: Niacinamide and some SD questions

Default Niacinamide and some SD questions

Hello, I don't post here often but I've read a lot of the threads and Tom's papers regarding SD. Hopefully Tom or other knowledgeable posters here can chime in on this. I frequently read the SebDerm reddit too, which brings me to my first question about niacinamide.

I found instances of people posting there that their SebDerm cleared and continues to be clear just by using Cerave PM lotion a few times a week. I'm assuming the 4% Niacinamide is doing the heavy lifting but how can this be? I'm perplexed because there's nothing anti-fungal about the lotion and the ceramides are in such low quantity that I doubt they are doing anything. One particular post had outstanding before and after picturse with pretty bad SD in the T-zone area that completely cleared with this lotion. Is there any science correlating niacinamide helping SD?

I've been trying to find a decent product with Climbazole and piroctone olamine to combat biofilms but I'm in the US and there's no such thing here, so I have to rely on European products for this. I found a product called Ceramol DS lotion with this ingredients :

Aqua, Alcohol denat., Laureth-9, PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil, Allantoin, Bisabolol, Inositol, Niacinamide, Panthenol, Piroctone olamine, Climbazole, Sodium hyaluronate, Citric acid, Dehydroxanthan gum, Disodium EDTA, Glycerin, Hydroxyethylcellulose

As you can see, it has the two aforementioned antifungals and other beneficial ingredients, however it also contains hydrogenated castor oil which will feed malassezia. My question is: Are the antifungals enough to outweigh the cons of having hydrogenated castor oil?
    It's infuriating to me that companies keep making SD products with malassezia food-grade ingredients . I've spent hundreds of hours searching for a clean anti-fungal topical I can use but I'm starting to give up hope. I think no such thing exists and I'm afraid I'm gonna have to formulate my own just like Tom does but it sounds daunting to me.

There is also an interesting shampoo: Dermo Shampoo DS with the following ingredients:

Aqua, Sodium myreth sulfate,Sodium cocoamphoacetate, Laureth-6 carboxylic acid, Sodium chloride, Ceramide 3, Climbazole, Niacinamide, Piroctone olamine, PEG-55 propylene glycol oleate, Lauryl glucoside, Sodium Phytate, Polyquaternium-10, Capryloyl glycine, Propylene Glycol, Citric Acid, Parfum, Undecylenoyl Glycine

Ingredient-wise this is the cleanest shampoo I've seen so far for treating SD and I'm thinking of ordering but since it's overseas it will take a few weeks to get here.
    Last edited by juanh; 18th October 2019 at 11:49 PM.

Interesting about cerave pm, I found a thread on Reddit the other day about this and ordered some, it's arriving today, quite expensive as I don't think they sell it in UK stores (the PM version)

I think it's going down the path of fixing the skin barrier, rather than killing the yeast, which of course will come back , similar to dermadexin.

Have you found it to be beneficial?

Quote Originally Posted by dpw28 View Post
    Interesting about cerave pm, I found a thread on Reddit the other day about this and ordered some, it's arriving today, quite expensive as I don't think they sell it in UK stores (the PM version)

I think it's going down the path of fixing the skin barrier, rather than killing the yeast, which of course will come back , similar to dermadexin.

Have you found it to be beneficial?
    I have found it beneficial but there are two spots where it's been difficult to clear so i'm inclined to try a climbazole topical but all the products I've seen with it contain oils that feed malassezia

Quote Originally Posted by juanh View Post
    I have found it beneficial but there are two spots where it's been difficult to clear so i'm inclined to try a climbazole topical but all the products I've seen with it contain oils that feed malassezia
    Mine arrived yesterday. It's gone on well and soaked right in.

How long did it take for you to see it working?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The Noreva Sebodiane DS Microemulsion also lists niacinamide as one of its active ingredients and is designed to treat SD. I can share the ingredients if you're interested:

Aqua, Niacinamide, Cyclopentasiloxane, Caprilic/Capric Triglyceride, Arachidyl Propionate, Glycerin, Peg-15 Stearyl Ether, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Glycereth-26, Glyceryl Stearate, Peg-100 Stearate, Ptfe, Polyquaternium-7, Butylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Glyceryl Caprylate, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Lecithin, Cetyl Dimethicone, Dimethiconol, Phytosphingosine, Perfluoropolymethylisopropyl Ether, Phenyl Propanol, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate

Quote Originally Posted by dpw28 View Post
    Mine arrived yesterday. It's gone on well and soaked right in.

How long did it take for you to see it working?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    About 3 to 5 days.

That looks really interesting Sejon, thanks for sharing