Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oral and topical Ivermectin trial

Default Oral and topical Ivermectin trial

Ive posted on here several times before but finally feel like Im getting somewhere after 6 years with my skin condition. Saw my derm again today who suspects demodex folliculorum due to tons of hyperkeratosis like spicules in my facial pores, outbreaks of tiny itchy pustules in the perioral and ocular regions of my face, my lack of good facial hygiene :/, sandpaper like texture, and the gradual loss of the ďpeach fuzzĒ on my face. I also had a punch biopsy which showed inflammation surrounding demodex mites in the follicle. Im currently taking Ivermectin 12mg by mouth twice (1 week apart). Im going to try and document my experience on here. I took the first dose one week ago. Didn't notice much except a small improvement in flaking. Just took the last dose yesterday. Literature seems to point to improvement within about a month after the first dose. Other studies suggest combination therapy. I have a tube of soolantra that Im debating on trying on an area of my face. It did expire 5/18 soooo not sure if its really still effective. I did apply some for the first time on my nose and chin to see what my reaction is. Im also going to add some pics of demodex that I was able to observe from some follicles of mine under a microscope I had at home later. Pretty crazy! You could actually see them moving!! They were from today. Has anybody else taken oral ivermectin out there by itself or with topical Soolantra?

Quote Originally Posted by Capture531 View Post
    Ive posted on here several times before but finally feel like Im getting somewhere after 6 years with my skin condition. Saw my derm again today who suspects demodex folliculorum due to tons of hyperkeratosis like spicules in my facial pores, outbreaks of tiny itchy pustules in the perioral and ocular regions of my face, my lack of good facial hygiene :/, sandpaper like texture, and the gradual loss of the ďpeach fuzzĒ on my face. I also had a punch biopsy which showed inflammation surrounding demodex mites in the follicle. Im currently taking Ivermectin 12mg by mouth twice (1 week apart). Im going to try and document my experience on here. I took the first dose one week ago. Didn't notice much except a small improvement in flaking. Just took the last dose yesterday. Literature seems to point to improvement within about a month after the first dose. Other studies suggest combination therapy. I have a tube of soolantra that Im debating on trying on an area of my face. It did expire 5/18 soooo not sure if its really still effective. I did apply some for the first time on my nose and chin to see what my reaction is. Im also going to add some pics of demodex that I was able to observe from some follicles of mine under a microscope I had at home later. Pretty crazy! You could actually see them moving!! They were from today. Has anybody else taken oral ivermectin out there by itself or with topical Soolantra?
    Iím just doing Soolantra but if I didnít have Gastritis Iíd take oral aswell . Iím on week six so I canít really say my skin is very sore at the moment. But some say it gets worse before it gets better but depends on which site you look at .

Quote Originally Posted by Rubydo1 View Post
    Iím just doing Soolantra but if I didnít have Gastritis Iíd take oral aswell . Iím on week six so I canít really say my skin is very sore at the moment. But some say it gets worse before it gets better but depends on which site you look at .
    Ughh I hate that it supposedly gets worse before better. Cause how do you know for sure lol? Do you also have seb derm? Apparently tom busby makes his own products that work for both. Not sure if you have looked at his posts.

Ughh I hate that it supposedly gets worse before better. Cause how do you know for sure lol? Do you also have seb derm? Apparently tom busby makes his own products that work for both. Not sure if you have looked at his posts.
    The large spots have stopped but I can see inflammation in all my pores. Yes I do have SD aswell do you ?
    I have sent my email to Tom but didnít here anything. But email has changed now.
    Docs all want to put me on antibiotics but it was a course of antibiotics that triggered my Gastritis followed by rosacea. So I really canít see how antibiotics will help Iíve already lost 4 stone in weight with Gastritis.
    But thatís all they offered that and metrogel which did nothing. I had to ask Doc for soolantra.
    Funny enough me and my husband both went down with blepharitis first followed by rosacea.
    So Iíve got him using it too my eyes feel better better since starting soolantra but Iím also washing face with Cerave Smoothing face wash which is gentle enough to use around eyes so whether that is helping I donít know.

I did the 2 week combined oral treatment with Oral Ivermectin and Oral Metronidazole. It worked. I'm still clear at 20+ months post treatment. I was misdiagnosed for years as having bacterial acne and allergic conjunctivitis. The acne meds including a wide variety of antibiotics, retinoids and prescription benzoyl peroxide did not help much at all. What I really had was demodex folliculorum (aka demodicosis), perioral , ocular rosacea, etc.

The combined treatment uses the once weekly dose of oral Ivermectin for 2 weeks. The Oral Metronidazole is given daily, 250 mg 3 times per day during the same 2 week period. The medical study was published in the May 2013 issue of The International Journal of Infectious Diseases. The article is here: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...0197121201315X

As the article shows some people were indeed helped by just taking the oral ivermectin. But more people were helped with the combined therapy.

Please do post your progress. It really helps other people and maybe some of the dermatologists reading the posts to understand what really works and the success rate of different treatments.

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineA View Post
    I did the 2 week combined oral treatment with Oral Ivermectin and Oral Metronidazole. It worked. I'm still clear at 20+ months post treatment. I was misdiagnosed for years as having bacterial acne and allergic conjunctivitis. The acne meds including a wide variety of antibiotics, retinoids and prescription benzoyl peroxide did not help much at all. What I really had was demodex folliculorum (aka demodicosis), perioral , ocular rosacea, etc.

The combined treatment uses the once weekly dose of oral Ivermectin for 2 weeks. The Oral Metronidazole is given daily, 250 mg 3 times per day during the same 2 week period. The medical study was published in the May 2013 issue of The International Journal of Infectious Diseases. The article is here: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...0197121201315X

As the article shows some people were indeed helped by just taking the oral ivermectin. But more people were helped with the combined therapy.

Please do post your progress. It really helps other people and maybe some of the dermatologists reading the posts to understand what really works and the success rate of different treatments.
    I asked my derm about adding the soolantra and at first he said it could help but then he actually suggested oral flucanazole for the next two weeks for my tinea versicolor instead because I also have pretty bad tinea which could also be affecting my face... ugh this is confusing. I guess I have yeast and mite issues...Im not trying to kill my liver but I guess its worth a shot. I was just going to purchase tom busbys products because he states that they are both antifungal and antidemodex.

I asked my derm about adding the soolantra and at first he said it could help but then he actually suggested oral flucanazole for the next two weeks for my tinea versicolor instead because I also have pretty bad tinea which could also be affecting my face... ugh this is confusing. I guess I have yeast and mite issues...Im not trying to kill my liver but I guess its worth a shot. I was just going to purchase tom busbys products because he states that they are both antifungal and antidemodex.
    The oral flucanazole (Brand name Difflucan) has been show to be highly effective against fungal/yeast infections. Its definitely worth trying especially if the tinea is serious. Yeast/Fungus and mites can coexist. Some researchers believe that the mites actually make fungal and bacterial infections worse. The mites get the microbes on their bodies when they come out at night to mate. Then, the mites take the microbes back down into the pores. Getting both conditions under control at the same time is really important. It also sounds like your dermatologist is knowledgeable.

The oral flucanazole (Brand name Difflucan) has been show to be highly effective against fungal/yeast infections. Its definitely worth trying especially if the tinea is serious. Yeast/Fungus and mites can coexist. Some researchers believe that the mites actually make fungal and bacterial infections worse. The mites get the microbes on their bodies when they come out at night to mate. Then, the mites take the microbes back down into the pores. Getting both conditions under control at the same time is really important. It also sounds like your dermatologist is knowledgeable.
    I tried the difflucan but it did upset my guts again.
    Selsun or head n shoulders clinical kills tinea but itís so hard when you have rosacea at the same time .
    As yor skin is so sensitive.

Im just nervous to take all these pills. How long did it take for your face to get better on your treatment? Were you using any topicals?

Quote Originally Posted by Rubydo1 View Post
    I tried the difflucan but it did upset my guts again.
    Selsun or head n shoulders clinical kills tinea but itís so hard when you have rosacea at the same time .
    As yor skin is so sensitive.
    How long did you take the diflucan?