Thread: Using Soolantra after expiration date...............can I?

Default Using Soolantra after expiration date...............can I?

I am a Canadian living in Mexico. When I was in Canada a little over a year ago I purchased my Soolantra (in Canada it is branded as "Rosiver"), and the expiration date on the boxes indicate that the product expires next month. Does anybody have any experience using this product beyond the expiration date?

I was hoping the product might still be useful for another 6 months which is when I plan on returning to Canada and can source it from my dermatologist, but I really cringe at the prospect that perhaps the product's efficacy becomes diminished and the rosacea returns.

I have read online that many medicines' efficacy will run well beyond the posted expiration date, but was hoping to hear from somebody on this forum what their personal experiences might be in a situation such as this.

As a side note, there does appear to be a branded version of this medicine in Mexico, though not where I live, so obtaining the Mexican branded version of Soolantra isn't an attractive option.

Thank you in advance.

In most cases, expiry dates are there to indicate that the full concentration of active material is not guaranteed after that given date.

It is not going to magically decompose on the date on the box so you would be quite safe using it for a reasonable time after the stated expiry.

Quote Originally Posted by johnabetts View Post
    In most cases, expiry dates are there to indicate that the full concentration of active material is not guaranteed after that given date.

It is not going to magically decompose on the date on the box so you would be quite safe using it for a reasonable time after the stated expiry.
    I understand why you would say that, and in most cases I believe you would be correct.

Yet, I am now beginning to notice the efficacy of my Soolantra (which has an expiry date of this month) is dropping substantially.

Has anybody else noticed the efficacy of their Soolantra dropping as the expiration date approaches?

Rather than the product losing its effect, have you considered that it may be you or your condition is becoming more resistant to its action. Tolerance is a very common effect with numerous drugs. This is demonstrated by a reduction in the perceived effect.