Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Social Anxiety and Rosacea

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    16
    Country: United States

    Default Social Anxiety and Rosacea

    This may be a different question than what many of you guys are used to. But has anyone here developed social anxiety disorder because of the severe self-esteem issues that rosacea has caused. I want to know how has rosacea affected your life psychologically? Me personally it's ruined my life and has left me on this journey to rid myself of it. Almost as if all my energy and thoughts are geared towards this fight.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    41
    Country: United States

    Default

    I refuse to let it affect my mental health or outlook on life. To me, it's not a big deal and I try to look into solutions but don't let it get me down. In any case, I have subtype 1 so it's just some general redness and occasional flushing. Seems very minor in comparison to some people's health problems.

    In the past (early days of rosacea), it made me depressed everytime my symptoms were more prominent. But life is short and there's too many things I want to achieve to let some minor skin issue get in the way. Besides, quite a few people have type 1 or rosy cheeks (diagnosed or undiagnosed).
    Last edited by beherenow; 11th September 2019 at 10:28 PM.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    16
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beherenow View Post
    I refuse to let it affect my mental health or outlook on life. To me, it's not a big deal and I try to look into solutions but don't let it get me down. In any case, I have subtype 1 so it's just some general redness and occasional flushing. Seems very minor in comparison to some people's health problems.

    In the past (early days of rosacea), it made me depressed everytime my symptoms were more prominent. But life is short and there's too many things I want to achieve to let some minor skin issue get in the way. Besides, quite a few people have type 1 or rosy cheeks (diagnosed or undiagnosed).
    That's a good outlook to have man and i congratulate you for it. Mine was super severe so let's just say my mental health was infused in this, I'm glad others can say differently.

  4. #4
    Senior Member laser_cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    653
    Country: United States

    Default

    Not social anxiety but general depression. I have a severe case of rosacea. I take antidepressants which help mental health for me a lot. I've also tried ketamine which for was the best out of anything but side effects and $. There might be some natural supp's to help with mood like vitamin D3, fish oil

    Focus on developing inner resources and view this as an opportunity to build resilience + strength. Have a plan of what to do or say to yourself when your thoughts get stuck on appearance

    Something you can do as well is build physical strength and get in as much shape as you want. Which might help you feel more comfortable in your skin. I have extreme flushing but I find ways to move + exercise that I tolerate
    Last edited by laser_cat; 30th September 2019 at 10:36 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Brady Barrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Centre, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    5,280

    Default Keep searching, keep positive you will find a way to control your rosacea

    These are the posts on this subject that I have collected over the years. It makes sense to me to logically put such posts in one category so that other rosacea sufferers can find this subject, as well as the other logically categorized subjects on rosacea, and hopefully find insight and help at the right time. If others would come together and volunteer and organize such posts, not only would this be helpful to other rosacea sufferers, posting your experience with rosacea does something psychologically to improve your mental health as well. Helping others is a positive upbuilding experience. While RF has a huge collection of helpful posts, it is often very difficult to find a post I know I read before since it is often not in a logical category in the RF forum. Moderators are supposed to move posts from illogical categories to logical ones but alas, the days of volunteer moderators have past. Also it appears that most Rosaceans have gone on to social media private groups and if you join such groups, the lack of basic rosacea knowledge is appalling, and totally impossible to to find a logical way to organize such posts that are in a maze of social disarray.

    The article, Placebo/Nocebo Effect in Rosacea, may be a real help to you knowing how important it is to keep a positive attitude towards finding a treatment to control your rosacea. Rosacea remission, while some report it happens, is rare, so the goal is controlling your rosacea. Many, many have found ways to control rosacea. As you point out at the start of your other thread you started yesterday, "My rosacea is very specific because it's not related to my immune system," you may think your rosacea is unique, but many, many other rosaceans have just as unique a rosacea experience since rosacea covers such a huge gamut that figuring out what to do for rosacea has become confusing and difficult to say the least for a significant number of rosacea sufferers. Some seem to have rosacea all neatly wrapped up into a treatment protocol that works for them (we dubbed this the Rosacea X factor years ago), however, there are others who find their rosacea experience poorly understood.

    Don't underestimate the negative impact of giving up and the positive effect of finding a way to control your rosacea. Keep searching, keep looking, don't give up and remain ever positive and in time, you will find a way to control your unique rosacea skin condition.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 12th September 2019 at 07:10 AM.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi



  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    16
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    Not social anxiety but general depression. I have a severe case. I take antidepressants which help mental health for me a lot. I've also tried ketamine which for was the best out of anything but side effects and $. There might be some natural supp's to help with mood like vitamin D3, fish oil

    Focus on developing inner resources and view this as an opportunity to build resilience + strength. Have a plan of what to do or say to yourself when your thoughts get stuck on appearance

    Something you can do as well is build physical strength and get in as much shape as you want. Which might help you feel more comfortable in your skin. I have extreme flushing but I find ways to move + exercise that I tolerate
    TBH i don't think i'll ever feel mentally comfortable with this condition that's why I need to get rid of this condition it's literally killing me dude

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedimaster2cool View Post
    TBH i don't think i'll ever feel mentally comfortable with this condition that's why I need to get rid of this condition it's literally killing me dude
    I think the combination of getting some control over the condition with medication and using a psychological therapy will be helpful to helping you feel in control. There are a lot of medical and psychological therapy options to try, so you shouldn't feel too disillusioned.

    There are really four ways to tackle rosacea: medicines; psychological therapies; topical treatments (creams, oils etc); diet and nutritional supplements. If you can make even a 5 or 10% improvement in any of these individual categories that can add up to a lot of improvement overall. However, you are limiting your chances if you only try one or two of these categories.

    Medicines that may help with the social anxiety and possibly the flushing include sertraline and gabapentin.

    What symptoms of rosacea are particularly causing you concern?
    Last edited by antwantsclear; 19th September 2019 at 08:36 AM.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    16
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    I think the combination of getting some control over the condition with medication and using a psychological therapy will be helpful to helping you feel in control. There are a lot of medical and psychological therapy options to try, so you shouldn't feel too disillusioned.

    There are really four ways to tackle rosacea: medicines; psychological therapies; topical treatments (creams, oils etc); diet and nutritional supplements. If you can make even a 5 or 10% improvement in any of these individual categories that can add up to a lot of improvement overall. However, you are limiting your chances if you only try one or two of these categories.

    Medicines that may help with the social anxiety and possibly the flushing include sertraline and gabapentin.

    What symptoms of rosacea are particularly causing you concern?
    My main concerns are erythema facial redness and what's it's doing to my skin. It's literally destroying my skin and making it become damaged. But I'm taking prp (platelet rich plasma, which heals the skin and inhibit inflammation) each time which is helping the redness so I'm not complaining at all just wish I had some money right now maybe 2000 worth so i could get prp's and finally end this thing. My skin overall is better than it was before hence why my other post about me using stem cells for rosacea and healing the skin. Right now I'm just asking people about their experiences with this condition and if they've developed social anxiety as a result.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedimaster2cool View Post
    This may be a different question than what many of you guys are used to. But has anyone here developed social anxiety disorder because of the severe self-esteem issues that rosacea has caused. I want to know how has rosacea affected your life psychologically? Me personally it's ruined my life and has left me on this journey to rid myself of it. Almost as if all my energy and thoughts are geared towards this fight.
    I've never been formally diagnosed with any specific disorder, but I can tell you that my skin condition has had an absolutely massive effect on my life in general, and particularly it's social/relationship aspects. I've been single for about three-quarters of the time since it's onset, to give one example - something that I attribute almost entirely to the problems I've had with my skin (and specifically the tendency to withdraw from social situations that it triggers in me). It hasn't been the only issue I've had to deal with in my life, but I suspect it is responsible for a very big chunk of the shortfall in how my life is, vs. how I would realistically like it to be...
    Last edited by davem81; 1st October 2019 at 03:40 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    150
    Country: Great Britain

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedimaster2cool View Post
    My main concerns are erythema facial redness and what's it's doing to my skin. It's literally destroying my skin and making it become damaged. But I'm taking prp (platelet rich plasma, which heals the skin and inhibit inflammation) each time which is helping the redness so I'm not complaining at all just wish I had some money right now maybe 2000 worth so i could get prp's and finally end this thing. My skin overall is better than it was before hence why my other post about me using stem cells for rosacea and healing the skin. Right now I'm just asking people about their experiences with this condition and if they've developed social anxiety as a result.
    Is PRP helping with the burning aspect as well? Or just with redness? Interested in looking into it for my redness and burning.

    Thanks,

Similar Threads

  1. Social Anxiety Flushing
    By tobyg in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22nd December 2018, 11:39 AM
  2. Social Anxiety from Rosacea ..
    By Steve Jensen in forum Newbie questions / Introduction
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 7th February 2017, 01:40 PM
  3. social anxiety
    By GracieTiger in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 17th November 2008, 10:10 PM
  4. 5htp and social anxiety associated with flushing.
    By zhenka11230 in forum Topical and oral products (non-prescription)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20th August 2008, 03:38 PM
  5. Overcoming Social Anxiety/Adrenaline Flushing?
    By flemmo in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 28th September 2007, 04:37 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •