Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: This Is So Bizarre Blushing less Intense After Stopping Propranolol

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    85
    Country: UK

    Default This Is So Bizarre Blushing less Intense After Stopping Propranolol

    Hey all

    So I just came off propranolol after taking it for over 15 years, it just didnt seem to be effective anymore and my baseline seemed redder and it didnt seem to stop me flushing.

    But heres the thing my face colour seems to be a lot more pale, and I dont seem to feel as hot in the face or get as red.

    Early days but was the medicine making me worse?

    was I getting constant rebound flushing?

    I just dont know, all I know is I seem to be better without any meds, so the meds were just making me worse?

    Thoughts please

    :-)

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    128

    Default

    I tried propranolol several times. Every time, it made me flush more in this kind of patchy redness. I felt calmer but the redness was definitely worse. I feel I have tried it enough times (maybe 5?) to be sure itís the medication.

    If it was for you, then maybe you will get some improvement for awhile!

  3. #3
    Senior Member laser_cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    593
    Country: United States

    Default

    I might have had a similar experience with clonidine.. I did get rebound coming off of it, but I'm better off without it in regards to my flushing.

    I think sometimes people can't handle peripheral vasoconstrictors / vaso-stabilizers like clonidine / propranolol, although most can. When I trialled propranolol, I noticed less social flushing but my night flushing was as bad as ever and the post-exertion flaring was terribly painful / worse (eg if I went on a 20 min walk .. 3 hrs after, I'd be rocking back and forth in pain/flushing)

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    I might have had a similar experience with clonidine.. I did get rebound coming off of it, but I'm better off without it in regards to my flushing.

    I think sometimes people can't handle peripheral vasoconstrictors / vaso-stabilizers like clonidine / propranolol, although most can. When I trialled propranolol, I noticed less social flushing but my night flushing was as bad as ever and the post-exertion flaring was terribly painful / worse (eg if I went on a 20 min walk .. 3 hrs after, I'd be rocking back and forth in pain/flushing)
    I wonder about this with regard to clonidine- if maybe I would be better without it. I went off for a couple of days and had INSANE rebound flushing, so Iím back on. But I wonder if things could stabilize more if I was totally off.

  5. #5
    Senior Member laser_cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    593
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    I wonder about this with regard to clonidine- if maybe I would be better without it. I went off for a couple of days and had INSANE rebound flushing, so Iím back on. But I wonder if things could stabilize more if I was totally off.
    Are you on pills? I did a very slow taper where I was shaving off a little bit each decrement. Took maybe 2 months? I rebounded a little with some decrements and didn't move down until i was sure the current rebounding was gone. If you are on the patch, i wonder if you could switch to pills for a slower taper, if that is something you want to try at some point.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    85
    Country: UK

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    I might have had a similar experience with clonidine.. I did get rebound coming off of it, but I'm better off without it in regards to my flushing.

    I think sometimes people can't handle peripheral vasoconstrictors / vaso-stabilizers like clonidine / propranolol, although most can. When I trialled propranolol, I noticed less social flushing but my night flushing was as bad as ever and the post-exertion flaring was terribly painful / worse (eg if I went on a 20 min walk .. 3 hrs after, I'd be rocking back and forth in pain/flushing)
    maybe im better off without it, but now im on no medication whatsoever but maybe its what I need maybe all these pills played havoc with my system. It does seem like I was on some constant rebound flushing though

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redattack View Post
    maybe im better off without it, but now im on no medication whatsoever but maybe its what I need maybe all these pills played havoc with my system. It does seem like I was on some constant rebound flushing though
    If things are better and you are med- free, sounds the best of all worlds!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    Are you on pills? I did a very slow taper where I was shaving off a little bit each decrement. Took maybe 2 months? I rebounded a little with some decrements and didn't move down until i was sure the current rebounding was gone. If you are on the patch, i wonder if you could switch to pills for a slower taper, if that is something you want to try at some point.
    Iím on the patch but I do have pills so could try that approach. It scares me so much after the insane redness of cold turkey going off them, but it could work if I was verrrry slow.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    151
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redattack View Post
    Hey all

    So I just came off propranolol after taking it for over 15 years, it just didnt seem to be effective anymore and my baseline seemed redder and it didnt seem to stop me flushing.

    But heres the thing my face colour seems to be a lot more pale, and I dont seem to feel as hot in the face or get as red.

    Early days but was the medicine making me worse?

    was I getting constant rebound flushing?

    I just dont know, all I know is I seem to be better without any meds, so the meds were just making me worse?

    Thoughts please

    :-)
    I have severe heat and flushing. I am on both clonidine .2 three times a day and propranolol 40 mg three times a day. How did you taper off the propranolol? My facial heat sensitivity is my main trigger along with touch.

    Thank you.
    Angela

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    85
    Country: UK

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ange4 View Post
    I have severe heat and flushing. I am on both clonidine .2 three times a day and propranolol 40 mg three times a day. How did you taper off the propranolol? My facial heat sensitivity is my main trigger along with touch.

    Thank you.
    Angela
    Hi Angela

    I was naughty and just stopped as I was having tests at queens hospital in London. I felt the propranolol wasnt doing anything for me anyway anymore. I just had a curry and under stress today and the red face is back. :-(

Similar Threads

  1. This redness is just bizarre.....
    By redattack in forum Similar and co-existing conditions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 18th March 2018, 09:30 PM
  2. Propranolol? For anxeity flushing and blushing?
    By HelloH. in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14th October 2016, 12:31 PM
  3. Normal Physiological Blushing/Flushing Vs Rosacea Blushing/Flushing
    By bball1028 in forum Newbie questions / Introduction
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 9th December 2015, 10:17 PM
  4. stopping oracea?
    By bbillcee in forum Prescription medications
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 19th August 2011, 04:48 PM
  5. bizarre disappearence of my rosacea..medical mystery indeed.
    By Ladonna in forum Similar and co-existing conditions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 18th June 2011, 09:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •