Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This Is So Bizarre Blushing less Intense After Stopping Propranolol

Default This Is So Bizarre Blushing less Intense After Stopping Propranolol

Hey all

So I just came off propranolol after taking it for over 15 years, it just didnt seem to be effective anymore and my baseline seemed redder and it didnt seem to stop me flushing.

But heres the thing my face colour seems to be a lot more pale, and I dont seem to feel as hot in the face or get as red.

Early days but was the medicine making me worse?

was I getting constant rebound flushing?

I just dont know, all I know is I seem to be better without any meds, so the meds were just making me worse?

Thoughts please

:-)

I tried propranolol several times. Every time, it made me flush more in this kind of patchy redness. I felt calmer but the redness was definitely worse. I feel I have tried it enough times (maybe 5?) to be sure itís the medication.

If it was for you, then maybe you will get some improvement for awhile!

I might have had a similar experience with clonidine.. I did get rebound coming off of it, but I'm better off without it in regards to my flushing.

I think sometimes people can't handle peripheral vasoconstrictors / vaso-stabilizers like clonidine / propranolol, although most can. When I trialled propranolol, I noticed less social flushing but my night flushing was as bad as ever and the post-exertion flaring was terribly painful / worse (eg if I went on a 20 min walk .. 3 hrs after, I'd be rocking back and forth in pain/flushing)

Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    I might have had a similar experience with clonidine.. I did get rebound coming off of it, but I'm better off without it in regards to my flushing.

I think sometimes people can't handle peripheral vasoconstrictors / vaso-stabilizers like clonidine / propranolol, although most can. When I trialled propranolol, I noticed less social flushing but my night flushing was as bad as ever and the post-exertion flaring was terribly painful / worse (eg if I went on a 20 min walk .. 3 hrs after, I'd be rocking back and forth in pain/flushing)
    I wonder about this with regard to clonidine- if maybe I would be better without it. I went off for a couple of days and had INSANE rebound flushing, so Iím back on. But I wonder if things could stabilize more if I was totally off.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    I wonder about this with regard to clonidine- if maybe I would be better without it. I went off for a couple of days and had INSANE rebound flushing, so Iím back on. But I wonder if things could stabilize more if I was totally off.
    Are you on pills? I did a very slow taper where I was shaving off a little bit each decrement. Took maybe 2 months? I rebounded a little with some decrements and didn't move down until i was sure the current rebounding was gone. If you are on the patch, i wonder if you could switch to pills for a slower taper, if that is something you want to try at some point.

maybe im better off without it, but now im on no medication whatsoever but maybe its what I need maybe all these pills played havoc with my system. It does seem like I was on some constant rebound flushing though

Quote Originally Posted by redattack View Post
    maybe im better off without it, but now im on no medication whatsoever but maybe its what I need maybe all these pills played havoc with my system. It does seem like I was on some constant rebound flushing though
    If things are better and you are med- free, sounds the best of all worlds!

Are you on pills? I did a very slow taper where I was shaving off a little bit each decrement. Took maybe 2 months? I rebounded a little with some decrements and didn't move down until i was sure the current rebounding was gone. If you are on the patch, i wonder if you could switch to pills for a slower taper, if that is something you want to try at some point.
    Iím on the patch but I do have pills so could try that approach. It scares me so much after the insane redness of cold turkey going off them, but it could work if I was verrrry slow.

Quote Originally Posted by redattack View Post
    Hey all

So I just came off propranolol after taking it for over 15 years, it just didnt seem to be effective anymore and my baseline seemed redder and it didnt seem to stop me flushing.

But heres the thing my face colour seems to be a lot more pale, and I dont seem to feel as hot in the face or get as red.

Early days but was the medicine making me worse?

was I getting constant rebound flushing?

I just dont know, all I know is I seem to be better without any meds, so the meds were just making me worse?

Thoughts please

:-)
    I have severe heat and flushing. I am on both clonidine .2 three times a day and propranolol 40 mg three times a day. How did you taper off the propranolol? My facial heat sensitivity is my main trigger along with touch.

Thank you.
    Angela

Quote Originally Posted by Ange4 View Post
    I have severe heat and flushing. I am on both clonidine .2 three times a day and propranolol 40 mg three times a day. How did you taper off the propranolol? My facial heat sensitivity is my main trigger along with touch.

Thank you.
    Angela
    Hi Angela

I was naughty and just stopped as I was having tests at queens hospital in London. I felt the propranolol wasnt doing anything for me anyway anymore. I just had a curry and under stress today and the red face is back. :-(