Thread: Questions about IPL [21 Year Old]

Default Questions about IPL [21 Year Old]

Hi all, I've posted here before but I feel I should begin with a bit of a backstory. Until I was 18, my skin was perfectly fine; slightly red and prone to flushing, but nothing out of the ordinary. Then, when I started using hairspray in 2015, my skin developed a bad reaction and I was left with seborrheic dermatitis on my face and scalp. I stopped using the hairspray, started to wash my hair with T-Gel, and was recommended by my GP to use a non-steroid emollient cream, Dermol, on my face. Over time, the Dermol was able to remove the oily, flaky patches of skin on my face, however it left me with some broken capillaries: one on the side of my nose, several on either side of my nasal folds and, worst of all, a large one on my cheek. It didn't appear to be a single thread vein, but an assortment of broken capillaries, emanating from a darker central nevus. This gave it a very blotchy and irregular appearance.

After much deliberating, I eventually decided to have it removed via IPL. The treatment was a success, and within 3 weeks of the operation the broken capillaries on my cheek had cleared entirely. Fast forward 18 months, however, and a similar, albeit smaller, cluster of red veins has appeared in almost exactly the same place as the previous one. I'm not entirely sure what caused this: I had suffered from another seb derm flareup on my face over previous months, and I had been forced to apply Dermol onto it, as that is the only cream that works and the product leaflet says nothing about it causing thread veins. However, I had not been using Dermol on it in the days leading up to its appearance, nor had I, as far as I'm aware, scratched or rubbed the skin there, got a sunburn, or aggravated it in any other way.

My first question is, was it possible that the broken capillary returned naturally, 18 months after it was removed via IPL?

My second question is, is it worth having it removed via IPL a second time? I've read a lot about V-Beam on here but it seems a little drastic for me, as I am only 21 years old and, apart from this particular thread vein on my cheek, not overly concerned about the rest of my face.

Thanks for your time, and I'd greatly appreciate any advice.
    Last edited by chelseafan12; 4th September 2019 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chelseafan12 View Post
    Hi all, I've posted here before but I feel I should begin with a bit of a backstory. Until I was 18, my skin was perfectly fine; slightly red and prone to flushing, but nothing out of the ordinary. Then, when I started using hairspray in 2015, my skin developed a bad reaction and I was left with seborrheic dermatitis on my face and scalp. I stopped using the hairspray, started to wash my hair with T-Gel, and was recommended by my GP to use a non-steroid emollient cream, Dermol, on my face. Over time, the Dermol was able to remove the oily, flaky patches of skin on my face, however it left me with some broken capillaries: one on the side of my nose, several on either side of my nasal folds and, worst of all, a large one on my cheek. It didn't appear to be a single thread vein, but an assortment of broken capillaries, emanating from a darker central nevus. This gave it a very blotchy and irregular appearance.

After much deliberating, I eventually decided to have it removed via IPL. The treatment was a success, and within 3 weeks of the operation the broken capillaries on my cheek had cleared entirely. Fast forward 18 months, however, and a similar, albeit smaller, cluster of red veins has appeared in almost exactly the same place as the previous one. I'm not entirely sure what caused this: I had suffered from another seb derm flareup on my face over previous months, and I had been forced to apply Dermol onto it, as that is the only cream that works and the product leaflet says nothing about it causing thread veins. However, I had not been using Dermol on it in the days leading up to its appearance, nor had I, as far as I'm aware, scratched or rubbed the skin there, got a sunburn, or aggravated it in any other way.

My first question is, was it possible that the broken capillary returned naturally, 18 months after it was removed via IPL?

My second question is, is it worth having it removed via IPL a second time? I've read a lot about V-Beam on here but it seems a little drastic for me, as I am only 21 years old and, apart from this particular thread vein on my cheek, not overly concerned about the rest of my face.

Thanks for your time, and I'd greatly appreciate any advice.
    Most people need yearly treatments of IPL to keep the redness away, sometimes more. Unfortunately the results aren't permanent.