Thread: Can you have phymatous rosacea with smooth skin/no redness?

Default Can you have phymatous rosacea with smooth skin/no redness?

Over the past two weeks my nose has been growing at an appalling rate. Every night I have serious congestion going to bed, I donít have nose congestion during the day, maybe the first few hours after I wake up. And now every night after I woke up I found my nose have grown a little bit over night. The nose tip is becoming fatter and fuller every day. And that is not swelling that of a nose congestion. I have observed the nose size at the time where my congestion cleared up itself.

So, could it be phymatous rosacea? coz I always have smooth skin(people have praised me about it) and I only have few pimples and my forehead and my T-area is not at all over oily.

I have seen a derm and he said he was ambiguous about whether I have phymatous rosacea and I don't think he knows. I have my thyroid checked and itís all in normal range.

Trust me I donít have dysmorphia, I have always noticed my nose growing in the past but it was in an acceptable rate.

Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by findsens View Post
    Over the past two weeks my nose has been growing at an appalling rate. Every night I have serious congestion going to bed, I donít have nose congestion during the day, maybe the first few hours after I wake up. And now every night after I woke up I found my nose have grown a little bit over night. The nose tip is becoming fatter and fuller every day. And that is not swelling that of a nose congestion. I have observed the nose size at the time where my congestion cleared up itself.

So, could it be phymatous rosacea? coz I always have smooth skin(people have praised me about it) and I only have few pimples and my forehead and my T-area is not at all over oily.

I have seen a derm and he said he was ambiguous about whether I have phymatous rosacea and I don't think he knows. I have my thyroid checked and itís all in normal range.

Trust me I donít have dysmorphia, I have always noticed my nose growing in the past but it was in an acceptable rate.

Thanks for your help
    I've been dealing with nose swelling lately that could be similar to what you're dealing with. For me it began fairly suddenly a few months ago and my cheeks are affected as well; sometimes my chin to a lesser extent. Sounds like yours is worse when you lie down? That seems to be common with nose swelling- you'll find some similar posts on here.

I also have flushing that started the same time as the swelling- do you have any issues with flushing?

For my own personal case, I really don't think it is phymatous rosacea as there are now new growths or texture changes on my skin, and when the swelling/flushing goes down it looks normal- in fact my skin is pretty smooth lately. Also, being female and fairly young it would be unlikely for me to get it.

A user on here "redtere" found relief from flushing/swelling of the nose by using Nasalcrom- a mast cell stabilizer nasal spray. I am currently trying it myself. Mast cells and histamine could certainly play a role in this. I'm currently waiting to see an allergist as well.

Hope that is helpful in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamoverton View Post
    I've been dealing with nose swelling lately that could be similar to what you're dealing with. For me it began fairly suddenly a few months ago and my cheeks are affected as well; sometimes my chin to a lesser extent. Sounds like yours is worse when you lie down? That seems to be common with nose swelling- you'll find some similar posts on here.

I also have flushing that started the same time as the swelling- do you have any issues with flushing?

For my own personal case, I really don't think it is phymatous rosacea as there are now new growths or texture changes on my skin, and when the swelling/flushing goes down it looks normal- in fact my skin is pretty smooth lately. Also, being female and fairly young it would be unlikely for me to get it.

A user on here "redtere" found relief from flushing/swelling of the nose by using Nasalcrom- a mast cell stabilizer nasal spray. I am currently trying it myself. Mast cells and histamine could certainly play a role in this. I'm currently waiting to see an allergist as well.

Hope that is helpful in some way.
    I don't have any rosacea symptoms at all, just the growth(not swelling) on my nose. I don't notice there is any texture change on my nose, let alone other facial area. My nose just get bigger every day, I am thinking maybe its the cartilage inside. Is it safe to say if there is no noticeable texture change there is very little chance that it is phymatous rosacea?

The congestion is disturbing, and i gonna see an ENT and hopefully do a nose scope just to make sure there is no issues with my nose. I will check out the nasalcrom , hope i can get my hands on these in my country.

Thanks

findsends,
    You state, "I have seen a derm and he said he was ambiguous about whether I have phymatous rosacea" and also "I don't have any rosacea symptoms at all" so you should understand that phenotype 5 is: ""Phymatous rosacea is most commonly associated with rhinophyma, an enlargement of the nose. Signs include thickening skin, irregular surface nodularities, and enlargement."

So until you have a definite diagnosis, you may have something else. Recommend you get a second opinion from another dermatologist. When you see another dermatologist recommend you ask these questions.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi