Thread: What if Doxycycline 100mg daily isn't helping?

Default What if Doxycycline 100mg daily isn't helping?

I've been taking Doxycycline 100mg (50mg morning, 50mg evening) for 1 full week now.

There is no change in my butterfly-shape redness below the eyes, it's exactly the same. I've been trying to identify at least some hint of lightening but it's not there.

What does that tell us? Do I need to wait longer?

Definitely give it more of a chance as it takes a bit to kick in.
    Good luck.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk

Thank you but when does it start working for rosacea on average? Does nobody see any difference whatsoever (none) within 1 week?

The answer is that it depends on the person and their rosacea. My derm says that the rule of thumb for trialling these types of medications is that you should start seeing results within 6-8 weeks, but you often need to wait up to 12 weeks to see proper results. Personally, when I used doxy I probably started noticing some results after about 4 weeks.

However, having said that, as far as I am aware (and others feel free to correct me if I am wrong) doxy will not help general rosacea redness (except for ocular symptoms), which it sounds from what you have written above is the reason you are taking it. Doxy is generally prescribed to tackle the pustules and papules and inflammatory symptoms associated with rosacea.

Quote Originally Posted by ukw View Post
    I've been taking Doxycycline 100mg (50mg morning, 50mg evening) for 1 full week now.

There is no change in my butterfly-shape redness below the eyes, it's exactly the same. I've been trying to identify at least some hint of lightening but it's not there.

UKW- Do you have bumps/acne or just redness? Doxycycline really only improves bumps, it likely will not help redness, but everyone is different.

Have you been checked for Lupus? It presents itself in the butterfly pattern you describe. I would recommend getting checked, as doxycycline could exacerbate lupus.

Quote Originally Posted by ukw View Post
    Antibiotics have a very long history of being used to treat rosacea. Recommend you read this post to understand.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi