Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swelling/puffy face anyone?

Default Swelling/puffy face anyone?

I'm wondering if anyone else experiences lots of swelling of the face that is constantly there. I had a sudden increase in flushing a couple of months ago, which is still an issue sometimes, but it's like the flushing has calmed down now and has been replaced by this constant swelling. I wonder if mirtazapine, which I started about 6 weeks ago, is adding to the edema too.

Anyway, I know that rosacea flushing can come with swelling, but this has been pretty constant. My skin is pale and calm, but always puffy, especially when I wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamoverton View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone else experiences lots of swelling of the face that is constantly there. I had a sudden increase in flushing a couple of months ago, which is still an issue sometimes, but it's like the flushing has calmed down now and has been replaced by this constant swelling. I wonder if mirtazapine, which I started about 6 weeks ago, is adding to the edema too.

Anyway, I know that rosacea flushing can come with swelling, but this has been pretty constant. My skin is pale and calm, but always puffy, especially when I wake up.
    Yes, I do.

My rosacea is concentrated around my nose, and I have an enlarged, swollen nose. I notice it because it does come and go week on week (some weeks better, some weeks worse). Oddly, if I drink certain alcohol the swelling goes down and I feel like I have my old nose again -- but generally this causes a flare the next morning.

I also feel like I have some facial swelling, but it is relatively minor. At certain times I notice pressure on my sinuses in my cheeks and above my eyebrows, which I attribute to this swelling. Like you, this is always worse in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch1 View Post
    Yes, I do.

My rosacea is concentrated around my nose, and I have an enlarged, swollen nose. I notice it because it does come and go week on week (some weeks better, some weeks worse). Oddly, if I drink certain alcohol the swelling goes down and I feel like I have my old nose again -- but generally this causes a flare the next morning.

I also feel like I have some facial swelling, but it is relatively minor. At certain times I notice pressure on my sinuses in my cheeks and above my eyebrows, which I attribute to this swelling. Like you, this is always worse in the morning.
    That's interesting, I sometimes feel that pressure too, especially when I lay down. And my nose seems to fluctuate in swelling too, throughout the day and from week to week. My cheeks are definitely involved as well. Have you tried anything to alleviate it?

Also, that's interesting about the alcohol taking swelling down- do you think it's because it's a blood thinner? In which case I wonder if aspirin helps you as well?
    Last edited by Jamoverton; 19th August 2019 at 06:18 PM.

That's interesting, I sometimes feel that pressure too, especially when I lay down. And my nose seems to fluctuate in swelling too, throughout the day and from week to week. My cheeks are definitely involved as well. Have you tried anything to alleviate it?

Also, that's interesting about the alcohol taking swelling down- do you think it's because it's a blood thinner? In which case I wonder if aspirin helps you as well?
    I've never actually consistently tried aspirin - I will add it to my experiment list.

I've tried a range of things for the swelling in the past (quercetin, bromelain, antihistamines, restriction diets, antibiotics, topicals) without much luck. But I'm actually currently experimenting with Chinese herbal medicine... A few years ago I had glandular fever and I saw a Chinese herablist who really helped me beat the fatigue symptoms and bounce back, so I thought - why not see if they can help with some of the stubborn components of my rosacea?

Unfortunately not every Chinese herbalist is born equal and it's not one-size-fits-all in Chinese medicine, so there has been a process of finding the right practitioner for rosacea and of refining my herbs and treatment, but I am seeing some really good results with the swelling and my flushing. I still have a while to go before I would recommend it to others, but if my symptoms continue to improve in this manner I will write a post and share my experiences with everyone

I've never actually consistently tried aspirin - I will add it to my experiment list.

I've tried a range of things for the swelling in the past (quercetin, bromelain, antihistamines, restriction diets, antibiotics, topicals) without much luck. But I'm actually currently experimenting with Chinese herbal medicine... A few years ago I had glandular fever and I saw a Chinese herablist who really helped me beat the fatigue symptoms and bounce back, so I thought - why not see if they can help with some of the stubborn components of my rosacea?

Unfortunately not every Chinese herbalist is born equal and it's not one-size-fits-all in Chinese medicine, so there has been a process of finding the right practitioner for rosacea and of refining my herbs and treatment, but I am seeing some really good results with the swelling and my flushing. I still have a while to go before I would recommend it to others, but if my symptoms continue to improve in this manner I will write a post and share my experiences with everyone
    That's great to hear you're seeing good results, yes, please share your results if you keep improving!

Also, I can't believe I forgot to mention this - lymph massage!! My facial swelling doesn't bother me much (compared to my nasal swelling) so this completely slipped my mind as I wrote my response with my nose in mind, but I encourage you to do some research into lymph facial massage.

My understanding of our 'general' facial/nasal swelling is that it is caused by fluid or edema buildup, not from blood flow (such as might be seen in more acute swelling accompanying flushing). You might find some relief from this through lymph massage, which encourages this fluid to drain.

If you are not familiar with it already, there are one thousand and one ways to do lymph massage on the internet. Just Google it and check out some YouTube video tutorials until you get the idea. There is no real 'wrong' way to do it, so long as you are doing it with the right amount of pressure (a light, gentle touch) and in the correct order (starting at the neck, moving up the face, then back down to end at the neck). If done correctly, you can generally tell it is working when you feel fluid moving in your throat (you will feel like you have to swallow or maybe cough, like you have phlegm in your throat).

If my facial swelling is bothering me (usually in the morning), I do 5 minutes of lymph facial massage while I am in the shower and I generally feel improvement within 20 minutes.

On the downside, it's only a short term fix. It's something you have to do every day. On the upside, it's free and only takes 5 minutes to try out.

Also, I can't believe I forgot to mention this - lymph massage!! My facial swelling doesn't bother me much (compared to my nasal swelling) so this completely slipped my mind as I wrote my response with my nose in mind, but I encourage you to do some research into lymph facial massage.

My understanding of our 'general' facial/nasal swelling is that it is caused by fluid or edema buildup, not from blood flow (such as might be seen in more acute swelling accompanying flushing). You might find some relief from this through lymph massage, which encourages this fluid to drain.

If you are not familiar with it already, there are one thousand and one ways to do lymph massage on the internet. Just Google it and check out some YouTube video tutorials until you get the idea. There is no real 'wrong' way to do it, so long as you are doing it with the right amount of pressure (a light, gentle touch) and in the correct order (starting at the neck, moving up the face, then back down to end at the neck). If done correctly, you can generally tell it is working when you feel fluid moving in your throat (you will feel like you have to swallow or maybe cough, like you have phlegm in your throat).

If my facial swelling is bothering me (usually in the morning), I do 5 minutes of lymph facial massage while I am in the shower and I generally feel improvement within 20 minutes.

On the downside, it's only a short term fix. It's something you have to do every day. On the upside, it's free and only takes 5 minutes to try out.
    I agree with the facial lymph massage. The best thing is to work up from the lymph glands around the neck then up the face, around the mouth and around the nose and the forehead, and then back down again. If you don't clear the lymph glands around the neck then the facial lymph glands will not clear effectively. This can work well for ear flushing and swelling, and is mentioned as a technique used by a patient with severe ear flushing and swelling in Professor Frank Powell's rosacea text book.

Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    I agree with the facial lymph massage. The best thing is to work up from the lymph glands around the neck then up the face, around the mouth and around the nose and the forehead, and then back down again. If you don't clear the lymph glands around the neck then the facial lymph glands will not clear effectively. This can work well for ear flushing and swelling, and is mentioned as a technique used by a patient with severe ear flushing and swelling in Professor Frank Powell's rosacea text book.
    Hi all, thanks for that info I'll definitely give it a try!
    Do you find it helps with swelling on the nose as well? Or mainly cheeks?

Hi all, thanks for that info I'll definitely give it a try!
    Do you find it helps with swelling on the nose as well? Or mainly cheeks?
    I find it works for all parts of the face. It can also clear bags under the eyes when tired if you do a circular motion around the eyes. I generally do it around the nose rather than on the nose and the nose looks paler afterwards. You use a very gentle touch, otherwise you are manipulating other deeper tissues, not the lymph glands.

Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    I find it works for all parts of the face. It can also clear bags under the eyes when tired if you do a circular motion around the eyes. I generally do it around the nose rather than on the nose and the nose looks paler afterwards. You use a very gentle touch, otherwise you are manipulating other deeper tissues, not the lymph glands.
    Excellent, thank you!