Thread: Head and shoulders - face wash

Default Head and shoulders - face wash

I've read a bit online about the benefits using this as a face wash to combat seb derm.

It's the only shampoo that 100% works on my hair so decided to give it a go.

I'm on day 2 and it's really making my skin quite red after it. Is this a sign that it's fighting the fungus? Think I read on here a few years back that might be true.

Anyone else have experience using head and shoulders as a face wash?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dpw28 View Post
    I've read a bit online about the benefits using this as a face wash to combat seb derm.

It's the only shampoo that 100% works on my hair so decided to give it a go.

I'm on day 2 and it's really making my skin quite red after it. Is this a sign that it's fighting the fungus? Think I read on here a few years back that might be true.

Anyone else have experience using head and shoulders as a face wash?

Thanks
    I stopped using Head and Shoulders as I found it very irritating to my rosacea when it touched my face, so I don't think it would be helpful. If you have rosacea at all, I would definitely not use H&S on your face. Tea Tree Oil Shampoo may be more helpful for the hair. But if you have sensitive skin on your face at all, you'd be better off finding products more suited to the face for seb derm, as well as incorporating dietary changes such as reducing sugar that will help. I appreciate that shampoos are sometimes used in seb derm, but I don't think it's very compatible advice for people who also have rosacea.

I generally advise against using shampoos as a face wash for the simple reason that they're designed for the scalp, which has thicker skin that can tolerate surfactants much better than the thin skin on the face. So your face getting redder could just as well be from irritation and not a fungal reaction to the zinc pyrithione.

There might be a few shampoos that are formulated to be gentle enough that they could theoretically be used on the face (Sebamed Anti Dandruff comes to mind), but H&S really isn't one of them.

There are some face washes designed for seb derm that employ piroctone olamine (mostly from French brands like the Ducray Kelual range, for example). The Noble Zinc bar soap has a lot of good reviews for treating seb derm, and uses zinc pyrithione like the H&S shampoo, but I'm not a fan of bar soaps because they have a very alkaline pH which disrupts the naturally acidic pH of skin (the skin's acidity is actually very important for its barrier function and defence against microbes).

Quote Originally Posted by sejon View Post
    I generally advise against using shampoos as a face wash for the simple reason that they're designed for the scalp, which has thicker skin that can tolerate surfactants much better than the thin skin on the face. So your face getting redder could just as well be from irritation and not a fungal reaction to the zinc pyrithione.

There might be a few shampoos that are formulated to be gentle enough that they could theoretically be used on the face (Sebamed Anti Dandruff comes to mind), but H&S really isn't one of them.

There are some face washes designed for seb derm that employ piroctone olamine (mostly from French brands like the Ducray Kelual range, for example). The Noble Zinc bar soap has a lot of good reviews for treating seb derm, and uses zinc pyrithione like the H&S shampoo, but I'm not a fan of bar soaps because they have a very alkaline pH which disrupts the naturally acidic pH of skin (the skin's acidity is actually very important for its barrier function and defence against microbes).
    Try Sebclair Cream. Any Doctor that suggests washing your face with harsh dandruff shampoo when you have rosacea obviously knows nothing about the condition. Ask them to wash their face with head and shoulders. Really annoys me that there is not more gentle creams to treat this condition other than unsung athletes foot cream and harsh shampoo. More research needs to be done .