Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newly diagnosed very depressed

Default Newly diagnosed very depressed

Just diagnosed a few months ago. I feel extremely depressed and sad all the time. The burning stinging and constant watery burning eyes. On metro cream which has helped a bit. My world has been turned upside down. I feel like part of me has died. I cant deny the fact that suicide has not crossed my mind. I feel that I just cant cope! The constant anxiety is deteriarating my health. I hate u rosacea! I ask that God please give me the strength to move through this.

Psychology and Rosacea are a subject that most rosacea sufferers are familiar with. There are a number of studies that show the psychological effects of rosacea, i.e., emotional pain. So posting in a rosacea group is the first step of recognizing you need help. Isolation only makes it worse.

A good place to start to understand this subject better, is Pyschodermatology TED talk by Linda Papadopoulos. Another area that can help you see the impact of the stress you are under is the placebo effect. Another study "suggests that facilitating mindfulness may be helpful in reducing distress in dermatology patients, and the use of mindfulness techniques warrants further investigation." We need more understanding on this subject, and that is what volunteering is all about, sharing research you have discovered with other Rosaceans.

As for figuring out how to control your rosacea, you mention that you are using metronidazole. Are you aware that Ivermectin [is] More Effective Than Metronidazole? Your doctor probably isn't keeping up with rosacea and isn't aware of the gold standard treatment for rosacea. So you are in the right place, with a group of rosaceans, step 1. Step 2 is research to find a way to control your rosacea.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 13th August 2019 at 05:17 PM.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

I hope you do find a treatment that works, many people do especially if you get the right treatment at the early stages. Be careful with anything too aggressive if you have sensitive skin.

I have to say out of all the diseases I have. asthma, Crohnís disease (which I have had surgery for), Sibo and full body psoriasis. Rosacea has affected my life the most to the point where I can no longer work or have social interactions or go outside... I feel it should be classed as a disability in its advance stages to be honest, But that is just my personal opinion. This forum has been a great source of information. However sadly in comparison to other diseases; medicine in this disease is quite far behind, I cant see a successful cure happening in the next 10 to 20 years judging by how long medical research takes from laboratory to a commercial pharmaceutical drug.

Sorry to hear you're having such a rough time. It can take a while to figure out your personal triggers and how to keep rosacea under control. Triggers can also change and you kind of have to start over again (I'll raise my hand to that). However, there is a lot of information on this forum and elsewhere on the internet- keep educating yourself and trying things. Little things that don't seem like they make a difference can actually help a lot. For example, I recently learned that taking an antihistamine and not having fans blow directly on my face really helps.

Have you tried talking to a therapist? Since developing rosacea I've found that talking to someone is really necessary for my mental health. Also, let your close family, friends, and partner know about your rosacea and let them know that it is a medical condition, not just a cosmetic one. I spent a couple years trying to cover up my rosacea and making up random excuses for why I wanted to avoid the sun, heat, and alcohol. It was exhausting and was such a relief to just say "hey, I have this skin condition and these are things I need to do to keep it under control."

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement! Will definitely be on this forum. I need all the advice and knowledge from others suffering with this horrible skin condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    Psychology and Rosacea are a subject that most rosacea sufferers are familiar with. There are a number of studies that show the psychological effects of rosacea, i.e., emotional pain. So posting in a rosacea group is the first step of recognizing you need help. Isolation only makes it worse.

A good place to start to understand this subject better, is Pyschodermatology TED talk by Linda Papadopoulos. Another area that can help you see the impact of the stress you are under is the placebo effect. Another study "suggests that facilitating mindfulness may be helpful in reducing distress in dermatology patients, and the use of mindfulness techniques warrants further investigation." We need more understanding on this subject, and that is what volunteering is all about, sharing research you have discovered with other Rosaceans.

As for figuring out how to control your rosacea, you mention that you are using metronidazole. Are you aware that Ivermectin [is] More Effective Than Metronidazole? Your doctor probably isn't keeping up with rosacea and isn't aware of the gold standard treatment for rosacea. So you are in the right place, with a group of rosaceans, step 1. Step 2 is research to find a way to control your rosacea.
    My pcp has prescribed lexapro to help deal with my emotional state. I am scared to take this type of drug as I know of alot of side effects. Can it make things worse? I just feel so hopeless. Plus scared it can affect my job ( iam an RN working in an ER).

Quote Originally Posted by monib View Post
    My pcp has prescribed lexapro to help deal with my emotional state. I am scared to take this type of drug as I know of alot of side effects. Can it make things worse? I just feel so hopeless. Plus scared it can affect my job ( iam an RN working in an ER).
    A lot of people find anti-depressants help their rosacea actually, at least for the flushing aspect of it. I've seen a few people mention anti-depressants causing an increase of rosacea symptoms but it seems to be rare and never permanent.

Just diagnosed a few months ago. I feel extremely depressed and sad all the time. The burning stinging and constant watery burning eyes. On metro cream which has helped a bit. My world has been turned upside down. I feel like part of me has died. I cant deny the fact that suicide has not crossed my mind. I feel that I just cant cope! The constant anxiety is deteriarating my health. I hate u rosacea! I ask that God please give me the strength to move through this.
    I have Ill health and was recently struck with rosacea. I too thought my life was over. Can’t wear makeup can’t see anyone else with the same problem. I have been put on antidepressants for pain. Worse thing I ever did.
    amitriptyline ( started with tremors with this)
    citalopram
    trazodone
    (Do not ever take trazadone
    Currently on Deluxatine which I’m trying to get off but apparently it’s got awful side effects trying to get off it .
    Best advice I can give is to Hell what you look like get out there don’t give a dam about what people think if they stare smile and carry on with your day. You find who your tru friends are. Try acupuncture anything but meds. And if you do go down that root do your research don’t just take what the doctor gives you .
    Last edited by Rubydo1; 14th August 2019 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubydo1 View Post
    I have Ill health and was recently struck with rosacea. I too thought my life was over. Canít wear makeup canít see anyone else with the same problem. I have been put on antidepressants for pain. Worse thing I ever did.
    amitriptyline ( started with tremors with this)
    citalopram
    trazodone
    (Do not ever take trazadone
    Currently on Deluxatine which Iím trying to get off but apparently itís got awful side effects trying to get off it .
    Best advice I can give is to Hell what you look like get out there donít give a dam about what people think if they stare smile and carry on with your day. You find who your tru friends are. Try acupuncture anything but meds. And if you do go down that root do your research donít just take what the doctor gives you .
    Sorry, but I think that is dangerous advice. Some people need antidepressants. Not everyone, but plenty do. Giving someone with anxiety or depression the advice to "just stop giving a damn" isn't helpful at all, in fact it's incredibly dismissive and disrespectful to people who are suffering with mental illness.

I ask that God please give me the strength to move through this.
    Step 3, you are already doing. Ask specifically to bless your efforts to find a way to control your rosacea. Then keep on asking, keep on searching, and it will be given to you. Many, many rosaceans were feeling just as depressed as you and have found a way to control their rosacea. What works for one rosacean may or may not work for another which is what we have dubbed the X Factor. As for antidepressants, note what this one study reports:

"The aim of this review is to evaluate the placebo effect in the treatment of anxiety and depression. Antidepressants are supposed to work by fixing a chemical imbalance, specifically, a lack of serotonin or norepinephrine in the brain. However, analyses of the published and the unpublished clinical trial data are consistent in showing that most (if not all) of the benefits of antidepressants in the treatment of depression and anxiety are due to the placebo response, and the difference in improvement between drug and placebo is not clinically meaningful and may be due to breaking blind by both patients and clinicians. Although this conclusion has been the subject of intense controversy, the current article indicates that the data from all of the published meta-analyses report the same results. This is also true of recent meta-analysis of all of the antidepressant data submitted to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the process of seeking drug approval. Also, contrary to previously published results, the new FDA analysis reveals that the placebo response has not increased over time. Other treatments (e.g., psychotherapy and physical exercise) produce the same benefits as antidepressants and do so without the side effects and health risks of the active drugs. Psychotherapy and placebo treatments also show a lower relapse rate than that reported for antidepressant medication." Source is end note 7
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi