Thread: Solutions for skin burning when washed - Role of Biofilm: why you need to wash it off

Default Solutions for skin burning when washed - Role of Biofilm: why you need to wash it off

If you have gotten past an episode of cleansers burning your skin, please post your solutions in response to this post. Make sure you add the products that you used successfully. It may help others with the same problem.

The role of biofilm in skin diseases and why you need to clean it off daily.

Biofilm can include bacteria and fungus including Malassezia implicated in Sebhorreic Dermatitis. Biofilm will build up on human skin. That's why humans need to bathe daily. Washing your face with a cleanser to remove the biofilm daily is important too. Otherwise, the biofilm can lead to additional or worsening skin conditions.

Some people who have struggled with sensitive skin have tried to switch to cleansing with water only. But water alone is unlikely to break up the biofilm on the skin OR to remove the build up of skin products used to treat skin issues. Biofilm can build a complex chemical matrix to protect itself. The longer the biofilm is on the skin the harder it may be to break it up and remove it from your skin. And the more likely you may be to have even worse skin issues that are even more resistant to treatment.

From the Nature article link below:

"The bacteria subsequently produce and excrete a variety of compounds to strengthen the attachment and expansion capabilities of the nascent community, collectively termed the extracellular matrix. Extracellular components of the bacterial biofilm consist of various biopolymers, including polysaccharides, DNA, proteins, and lipids. Recently, mineral scaffolds have also been shown to play a role in the assembly of the extracellular matrix. The biofilm state offers numerous advantages on the microbial community, principally by conferring a protected method of growth in an often hostile environment, whereby the biofilm community becomes less sensitive to antibiotics."

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41522-016-0004-z

Sometimes when your skin gets dried out from the weather, heat, or skin treatments, skin cleansers can burn. This happened to me while initially treating a severe demodex infestation with multiple tea tree tree oil masks every day. My skin got super dried out and sensitive. I stopped the irritating treatment for a week or so. Even though it burned, I kept washing my face 2-3 times daily with Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gentle Cleansing Lotion. It burned when washing for a few days but I toughed it out. I followed the wash with Neutrogena Hydro Boost Multivitamin Serum and then Neutrogena Hyro Boost Gel Cream for Extra Dry Skin to re-hydrate my skin. After about a week or so of this re-hydration cleansing and moisturizing my skin quit burning and felt normal again.

I get that your skin burns when trying to wash it. Dried out, irritated burning skin does not feel good. But I worry that letting the Biofilm and skin products build up on your face by trying to wash with just water may be making things much worse in the long run.

Has anyone else gotten past an episode of painful skin washing? Let us know how you solved your problem. Your answers may help others struggling with this issue.
    Last edited by ElaineA; 22nd August 2019 at 09:07 PM.