Thread: I want to try an anti-flushing medication--where to start?

Default I want to try an anti-flushing medication--where to start?

Hey all,

It's been a while. I am 3 months post my third purpuric Vbeam treatment. Tomorrow I'm going to have one more, nonpurpuric, and after that I'm done with the laser business for a while. I just can't afford it, and honestly, at this point, I think I've seen about as much improvement as I'm going to see from laser.

It is safe to say that I don't have any permanent redness anymore. Vbeam did a pretty nice job with that. I can still flush, though. I just don't think that lasers are very effective at tackling that symptom, unfortunately.

I mean...I suppose that isn't entirely fair. My flushing has improved tremendously after Vbeam. BUT it can still happen under certain circumstances, and it pisses me off. Having a flare is sure to put me in a bad mood. I know I shouldn't be like that, but...well, this condition is the bane of my existence.

Some of it is hormone related. (That much is apparent, considering I always get a flare at a certain time of the month.) But some of it isn't. Some of it is heat related and stress/anxiety related. The nice thing is that now prevention is easier and a flare doesn't last very long, nor do I get them anywhere near as frequently as I once did (maybe three or four times out of an entire month). Also, the terrible, terrible burning sensation I used to get is completely gone. (Knock on wood.)

Somehow, though...I find myself still wanting to see more improvement. I know that I should probably just be happy with what I've gained, but seeing as there are many people on here who report seeing benefits in their flushing episodes from the off label use of certain medications, I find myself wanting to try that, too, to see if I can manage it even better.

I'm thinking propranolol. I have social anxiety that sometimes induces a flush, and from what I've read on here, propranolol can help with that. Mirtazapine also looks promising, though.

I just don't have any idea where to start. Another problem I anticipate having is getting prescribed one of these medications in the first place. I live in the US, and somehow I have a hard time believing any of my doctors will be open to the idea of prescribing me one of these meds for an off label use. I really want to try this, though...

Does ANYONE have any advice? Thank you!

Start here:
    Prescription and Non Prescription Flushing Avoidance

https://irosacea.org/forums/topic/92...ing-avoidance/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by kfranke View Post
    Hey all,

It's been a while. I am 3 months post my third purpuric Vbeam treatment. Tomorrow I'm going to have one more, nonpurpuric, and after that I'm done with the laser business for a while. I just can't afford it, and honestly, at this point, I think I've seen about as much improvement as I'm going to see from laser.

It is safe to say that I don't have any permanent redness anymore. Vbeam did a pretty nice job with that. I can still flush, though. I just don't think that lasers are very effective at tackling that symptom, unfortunately.

I mean...I suppose that isn't entirely fair. My flushing has improved tremendously after Vbeam. BUT it can still happen under certain circumstances, and it pisses me off. Having a flare is sure to put me in a bad mood. I know I shouldn't be like that, but...well, this condition is the bane of my existence.

Some of it is hormone related. (That much is apparent, considering I always get a flare at a certain time of the month.) But some of it isn't. Some of it is heat related and stress/anxiety related. The nice thing is that now prevention is easier and a flare doesn't last very long, nor do I get them anywhere near as frequently as I once did (maybe three or four times out of an entire month). Also, the terrible, terrible burning sensation I used to get is completely gone. (Knock on wood.)

Somehow, though...I find myself still wanting to see more improvement. I know that I should probably just be happy with what I've gained, but seeing as there are many people on here who report seeing benefits in their flushing episodes from the off label use of certain medications, I find myself wanting to try that, too, to see if I can manage it even better.

I'm thinking propranolol. I have social anxiety that sometimes induces a flush, and from what I've read on here, propranolol can help with that. Mirtazapine also looks promising, though.

I just don't have any idea where to start. Another problem I anticipate having is getting prescribed one of these medications in the first place. I live in the US, and somehow I have a hard time believing any of my doctors will be open to the idea of prescribing me one of these meds for an off label use. I really want to try this, though...

Does ANYONE have any advice? Thank you!
    Hi Kfranke, I have a few questions and then I can offer my personal experience on the medication that you were asking about.

First of all, what type of rosacea were you diagnosed with? Was it subtype 1 or phenotype 1 or neurogenic rosacea? Do you get the pustules? I ask because you mentioned that vbeam helped you with flushing and possibly reduced your flares and redness. I have been diagnosed with neurogenic rosacea but I also believe that itís a crossover of phenotype or subtype one. Having said that, I have done several IPLĎs in the past with no success and actually much more sensitivity and pain and flushing after them. I was wondering if the Vbeam could help me. My main trigger is heat then touch and stress. I could have my AC on 69 F at home and still need to carry a small handheld fan and spray bottle around because I need constant airflow.

I take propranolol 40 mg three times a day along with clonidine .2 mg three times a day. This only helps about 10-15%. It helps more with emotional flushing but not at all with the heat. I also take 2 mg of LDN
    (Low dose Naltrexone) with some success but I feel that that has stalled. I just started a 25 mg CDB (without the THC) capsule with turmeric a few days ago with a little bit of success also but still nothing at all significant.

Iím fearful of lasers now because of the IPL results and exacerbation. Iím just curious if you have the same type as me and could it be possible to help me. Also, you mentioned that Your brain is gone now. I have so much burning on my face and ears that sometimes it feels like someone poured acid on my face.

Thank you for any advice.

Angela

Quote Originally Posted by Ange4 View Post
    Hi Kfranke, I have a few questions and then I can offer my personal experience on the medication that you were asking about.

First of all, what type of rosacea were you diagnosed with? Was it subtype 1 or phenotype 1 or neurogenic rosacea? Do you get the pustules? I ask because you mentioned that vbeam helped you with flushing and possibly reduced your flares and redness. I have been diagnosed with neurogenic rosacea but I also believe that itís a crossover of phenotype or subtype one. Having said that, I have done several IPLĎs in the past with no success and actually much more sensitivity and pain and flushing after them. I was wondering if the Vbeam could help me. My main trigger is heat then touch and stress. I could have my AC on 69 F at home and still need to carry a small handheld fan and spray bottle around because I need constant airflow.

I take propranolol 40 mg three times a day along with clonidine .2 mg three times a day. This only helps about 10-15%. It helps more with emotional flushing but not at all with the heat. I also take 2 mg of LDN
    (Low dose Naltrexone) with some success but I feel that that has stalled. I just started a 25 mg CDB (without the THC) capsule with turmeric a few days ago with a little bit of success also but still nothing at all significant.

Iím fearful of lasers now because of the IPL results and exacerbation. Iím just curious if you have the same type as me and could it be possible to help me. Also, you mentioned that Your brain is gone now. I have so much burning on my face and ears that sometimes it feels like someone poured acid on my face.

Thank you for any advice.

Angela
    Hey Angela,

I had 6 IPLs last year and they did next to nothing for me. I was extremely optimistic in the beginning and thought I was seeing improvement (even convinced myself that I had) but now a year and 4 Vbeams later, I realize that the improvement I saw from laser was much more marked, to the point where it was undeniable; not only did I notice major improvement, but other people did as well. IPL, on the other hand, yielded virtually no visible benefits, and I wish I'd never wasted the money.

I don't believe that I have neurogenic rosacea, though I admit I don't know what exactly that entails...maybe you could explain it a bit more to me? No, I believe I have subtypes 1 and 2. I get pustules from time to time, but keep them at bay with ZZ cream. With everyday use of that cream, they almost never appear, in fact. Without it, though, I would have lots of them.

If you had such a bad reaction to IPL, then I don't know if Vbeam would be a good idea. I'm not a doctor, of course, but in my opinion, if IPL exacerbated your condition...well, that might be a sign that laser is not for you. I would still talk to a good laser doctor, of course, and see what he/she recommends. Because I can definitely say that, for me, it has been a major game changer.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Thank you for sharing your experience with anti-flushing medication. It is something I would personally like to give a go. Damn this loathsome condition and its persistence...

--K

Quote Originally Posted by kfranke View Post
    Hey Angela,

I had 6 IPLs last year and they did next to nothing for me. I was extremely optimistic in the beginning and thought I was seeing improvement (even convinced myself that I had) but now a year and 4 Vbeams later, I realize that the improvement I saw from laser was much more marked, to the point where it was undeniable; not only did I notice major improvement, but other people did as well. IPL, on the other hand, yielded virtually no visible benefits, and I wish I'd never wasted the money.

I don't believe that I have neurogenic rosacea, though I admit I don't know what exactly that entails...maybe you could explain it a bit more to me? No, I believe I have subtypes 1 and 2. I get pustules from time to time, but keep them at bay with ZZ cream. With everyday use of that cream, they almost never appear, in fact. Without it, though, I would have lots of them.

If you had such a bad reaction to IPL, then I don't know if Vbeam would be a good idea. I'm not a doctor, of course, but in my opinion, if IPL exacerbated your condition...well, that might be a sign that laser is not for you. I would still talk to a good laser doctor, of course, and see what he/she recommends. Because I can definitely say that, for me, it has been a major game changer.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Thank you for sharing your experience with anti-flushing medication. It is something I would personally like to give a go. Damn this loathsome condition and its persistence...

--K
    Did you have a lot of facial heat sensitivity with your subtype? That is my main trigger all day long even in 69 degrees F inside my home. I need constant air flow. I donít get the veins in my face like subtype 1 but I feel that I may have that and not the neurogenic form or a combination of both. I have gotten bumps but not often. I just want something that will take away my heat sensitivity on my face. Itís so depressing. I feel like my life is basically over to the extent that I will never be a normal person again and my life is completely altered.

Also, my dermatologist does not prescribe my clonidine and propanol because he says that heís not very familiar with those medications for my condition. So he asked that I have my cardiologist prescribed them to me which she does.

I sense heat then flushing then pain. I do not have nerve pain with the heat and flushing so Iím not sure if I truly have neurogenic rosacea even though thatís what I was diagnosed with. I also do not get nose or chin flushing. My flushing is all over the face even my eyelids burn but the only thing that is red all the time is the cheeks and my ears are affected also.

Thanks for any help.

Angela