Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nasalcrom actually works after months.

Quote Originally Posted by redtere View Post
    Nasalcrom is still working. I also have now been prescribed Nalcrom. The dose is 800mg a day(200mg four times before meals).
    I found previously the only way to stop my nose swelling was not going to sleep and staying up throughout the night (doing assignments). Obviously not sustainable or healthy to do but I was shocked how much the swelling went down by not sleeping/laying down.
    Glad to hear it's still working for you. I'll have to ask my doctor about Nalcrom.
    That's interesting about the not sleeping/laying down thing. I might try that just to see if it works for me. My face is definitely at its worst when I first get up in the morning, even sleeping propped up on a bunch of pillows.

Nasalcrom is still working. I also have now been prescribed Nalcrom. The dose is 800mg a day(200mg four times before meals).
    I found previously the only way to stop my nose swelling was not going to sleep and staying up throughout the night (doing assignments). Obviously not sustainable or healthy to do but I was shocked how much the swelling went down by not sleeping/laying down.
    Interesting that you say this. As I said, I have similar symptoms to the ones that you have described, and I notice that when I take a long haul international flight (10+ hours) my swelling improves dramatically - presumably because I am upright for an extended period.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamoverton View Post
    Glad to hear it's still working for you. I'll have to ask my doctor about Nalcrom.
    That's interesting about the not sleeping/laying down thing. I might try that just to see if it works for me. My face is definitely at its worst when I first get up in the morning, even sleeping propped up on a bunch of pillows.
    One bit of info I forgot to mention, when I saw my doctor for the Nalcrom tablets prescription he said I could also try using Nasalcrom one spray in each nostril every 2 hours, 8 times a day. He found this dose had worked even better for his other patients with allergies.
    I was previously using the same total dose but doing 2 sprays in each nostril every 4 hours.

One bit of info I forgot to mention, when I saw my doctor for the Nalcrom tablets prescription he said I could also try using Nasalcrom one spray in each nostril every 2 hours, 8 times a day. He found this dose had worked even better for his other patients with allergies.
    I was previously using the same total dose but doing 2 sprays in each nostril every 4 hours.
    Ah, thanks for bringing that up- I'm going to try that since I do feel like the 4x/day helped a bit but the results could definitely be better.

Ah, thanks for bringing that up- I'm going to try that since I do feel like the 4x/day helped a bit but the results could definitely be better.
    I've stopped using the Nasalcrom now and am just using the Nalcrom tablets (4x day). On side effect I noticed after stopping (been on it for 4 months), no rebound flushing but a runny nose that lasted a few days.

I've stopped using the Nasalcrom now and am just using the Nalcrom tablets (4x day). On side effect I noticed after stopping (been on it for 4 months), no rebound flushing but a runny nose that lasted a few days.
    Interesting, I'll be curious to hear how the Nalcrom goes. A runny nose is a symptom I have that actually started a good 3-4 months before any issues with the flushing/swelling of my nose came up.

I don't want to jinx it but I have been doing a bit better since increasing from 4x/day to 8x/day (more like 6-8x/day- it's hard to remember/be available to take it that many times!). However, last week I kind of threw the whole kitchen sink at my face so it's hard to know what is helping. I also think it's too early (and the difference is too slight) to report back any big results- if I continue to really see some significant improvement I'll certainly come back and post here though.

Yes, flushing while sleeping/laying down was a big problem for me at first, fortunately that's gotten better since I started Mirtazapine 15mg.
    My nose still gets "puffed up" when I lay down though and I can feel pressure in the bridge of my nose. If I look in the mirror it isn't red though, just pale and swollen looking. Then when I get up for the day the puffiness slowly goes down. My nose still looks bigger all the time, even when it's not flushing, similar to what you described I think. It also tends to flush in the evenings once a day and at those times it gets fairly red.
    This is a few months ago now by did you find anything that helped for this problem, nose flushing when laying and nose swelling. Nascalcrom didn't help me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Johndlwdbm View Post
    This is a few months ago now by did you find anything that helped for this problem, nose flushing when laying and nose swelling. Nascalcrom didn't help me at all.
    Unfortunately I haven't really, though I will say eating lighter in the evening (I try not to eat at all after 6pm) has helped with flushing at night laying down to sleep. My next step is to try Hydroxychloroquine- really hoping that helps and if it does I'll be sure to post back with my results.
    What all have you tried so far?

Unfortunately I haven't really, though I will say eating lighter in the evening (I try not to eat at all after 6pm) has helped with flushing at night laying down to sleep. My next step is to try Hydroxychloroquine- really hoping that helps and if it does I'll be sure to post back with my results.
    What all have you tried so far?

Over the years I have tried antibiotics (tetracycline 6 months, Oracea), Flagyl (oral Metronidazole), Metrogel, Noritate, Soolantra, Timoptol (worked for a bit then stopped) and topical tretinoin. Also pretty much every antihistamine and mast cell stabiliser. None of the official prescription Rosacea treatments worked for the flushing. I have never had the papules or pustules. Hope this saves you time as they did nothing for flushing for me. I don't know if this is neurogenic Rosacea but all the classic Rosacea treatments seem pretty useless.

The only thing I have found that really works so far is eating like a saint, two meals a day. If i eat sugar free porrdige (made with water and nothing else) then for dinner a salad or steamed vegetable with fish (salmon, mackeral any non processed fish) it takes around 2 weeks for the flushing and redness to decrease when laying down at night. I also only dink water when doing this.
    I am seeing my doctor soon and am thinking about trying a beta blocker or clonidine now for the flushing.

Quote Originally Posted by Johndlwdbm View Post
    Over the years I have tried antibiotics (tetracycline 6 months, Oracea), Flagyl (oral Metronidazole), Metrogel, Noritate, Soolantra, Timoptol (worked for a bit then stopped) and topical tretinoin. Also pretty much every antihistamine and mast cell stabiliser. None of the official prescription Rosacea treatments worked for the flushing. I have never had the papules or pustules. Hope this saves you time as they did nothing for flushing for me. I don't know if this is neurogenic Rosacea but all the classic Rosacea treatments seem pretty useless.

The only thing I have found that really works so far is eating like a saint, two meals a day. If i eat sugar free porrdige (made with water and nothing else) then for dinner a salad or steamed vegetable with fish (salmon, mackeral any non processed fish) it takes around 2 weeks for the flushing and redness to decrease when laying down at night. I also only dink water when doing this.
    I am seeing my doctor soon and am thinking about trying a beta blocker or clonidine now for the flushing.
    That's interesting about the diet helping. I've been pretty strict about what I eat since this flushing started but not to that extent- I might try that for a while just to see if it helps. I've done pretty much all of the common Rosacea treatments as well, including lasers, with not much help- so frustrating. I do think my combo prescription of metrogel and ivermectin did help strengthen my skin barrier and mitigated some redness a bit though- I may have had some issues with demodex even though I never really have the bumps that are usually associated with that.
    Good luck with the beta blocker and/or clonidine- hope that is helpful for you.