Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nasalcrom actually works after months.

Default Nasalcrom actually works after months.

After reading medical journals about mast calls being central to Rosacea I decided to try Nasalcrom again. Last time I used it for 2 weeks years ago and it did absolutely nothing so I stopped using it. Also because I have never had a problem with the inside of my nose swelling, only the outside.
    In May I started using it again, one spray in each nostril 4 times a day (4 hours gap each time) 9 am, 1pm, 5pm and 9pm.
    I stuck consistently to this every day and for the first 4 weeks it did nothing. Then my Rosacea (extreme nose flushing and swelling, particularly when laying down) improved dramatically. The flushing just stopped and the swelling disappeared over 14 days to gone. My nose has decreased in volume which I don't understand because it was physically bigger for years. I had thickened skin, no lumps or bumps just thick skin. It is now thinner, the skin is physically much thinner after years and it feels half the size it was.
    I'm on my 3rd month now and have gotten through 3 bottles of Nasalcrom (the larger 26ml bottles), not missing a single dose.
    If anyone has used this, give it at least a month to see if it works. be consistent and don't miss a dose, it must have to build up to a certain level before it has an effect, which takes a long time.

I have the same problem so that's really interesting to me and good to hear. I've been using Nasalcrom for about 5 weeks 4x/day and a few weeks before that I was using it more like 2-3x/day. I do feel like it's working better than anything else I've tried but haven't gotten the extreme result you have. Did you ever get flushing on your cheeks as well? Also, is there anything else you're doing related to mast cells? I feel like my flushing/swelling problems are due to histamine issues, but it's all still a bit of a mystery to me- I've had these issues for about 3 months now.
    Thank you for posting about your results, it's helpful and gives me hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamoverton View Post
    I have the same problem so that's really interesting to me and good to hear. I've been using Nasalcrom for about 5 weeks 4x/day and a few weeks before that I was using it more like 2-3x/day. I do feel like it's working better than anything else I've tried but haven't gotten the extreme result you have. Did you ever get flushing on your cheeks as well? Also, is there anything else you're doing related to mast cells? I feel like my flushing/swelling problems are due to histamine issues, but it's all still a bit of a mystery to me- I've had these issues for about 3 months now.
    Thank you for posting about your results, it's helpful and gives me hope!
    I only have extreme flushing on my nose (also swelling on my nose from the flushing). My biggest trigger is sleeping/laying down which causes a massive flush every night without fail.
    The only medicine I am using at the moment is Nasalcrom but I am looking to get my doctor to prescribe me 'Nalcrom' (in the UK) which is Sodium Cromoglicate in 100mg capsules. Basically the tablet form of Nasalcrom.
    Post an update if the Nasalcrom is working better. Also do you flush sleeping/laying down, have you found anything that has helped/stopped that trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by redtere View Post
    I only have extreme flushing on my nose (also swelling on my nose from the flushing). My biggest trigger is sleeping/laying down which causes a massive flush every night without fail.
    The only medicine I am using at the moment is Nasalcrom but I am looking to get my doctor to prescribe me 'Nalcrom' (in the UK) which is Sodium Cromoglicate in 100mg capsules. Basically the tablet form of Nasalcrom.
    Post an update if the Nasalcrom is working better. Also do you flush sleeping/laying down, have you found anything that has helped/stopped that trigger.
    Yes, flushing while sleeping/laying down was a big problem for me at first, fortunately that's gotten better since I started Mirtazapine 15mg.
    My nose still gets "puffed up" when I lay down though and I can feel pressure in the bridge of my nose. If I look in the mirror it isn't red though, just pale and swollen looking. Then when I get up for the day the puffiness slowly goes down. My nose still looks bigger all the time, even when it's not flushing, similar to what you described I think. It also tends to flush in the evenings once a day and at those times it gets fairly red.

Thank you - even though my nose has gotten a lot better (knock on wood ..) I will try the Nasalcrom for a longer time frame and 4x/day.

I've tried gastrocrom (I think nalcrom?) and it didn't do anything for me at 3x/ day for 1 mo. My allergist was game for me to try it but she said she didn't think it would reach the skin in adequate amounts. I know some people make their own "nasalcrom topical" but I haven't tried this and don't know if it would be effective that way.

http://www.mastokids.org/magic-masto-lotion

Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    Thank you - even though my nose has gotten a lot better (knock on wood ..) I will try the Nasalcrom for a longer time frame and 4x/day.

I've tried gastrocrom (I think nalcrom?) and it didn't do anything for me at 3x/ day for 1 mo. My allergist was game for me to try it but she said she didn't think it would reach the skin in adequate amounts. I know some people make their own "nasalcrom topical" but I haven't tried this and don't know if it would be effective that way.

http://www.mastokids.org/magic-masto-lotion
    Laser_cat, was there anything specific you did to get your nose under control?
    That's very interesting about the topical nasalcrom, thanks for mentioning that- could be worth a shot for me.

Interesting discussion - thanks for sharing. I have the same symptoms that you have all described, so please come back and post any and all updates!

Cheers

Yes, flushing while sleeping/laying down was a big problem for me at first, fortunately that's gotten better since I started Mirtazapine 15mg.
    My nose still gets "puffed up" when I lay down though and I can feel pressure in the bridge of my nose. If I look in the mirror it isn't red though, just pale and swollen looking. Then when I get up for the day the puffiness slowly goes down. My nose still looks bigger all the time, even when it's not flushing, similar to what you described I think. It also tends to flush in the evenings once a day and at those times it gets fairly red.
    Any improvement in your nose flushing/swelling when sleeping? Are you still using Nasalcrom or found anything else that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by redtere View Post
    Any improvement in your nose flushing/swelling when sleeping? Are you still using Nasalcrom or found anything else that helps.
    Unfortunately I haven't seen a huge improvement yet. I'm still using the Nasalcrom but started trying some other things as well as of last week- that is a Quercetin with Bromelain supplement and a DAO enzyme pill before meals. I think both of these supplements are supposed to take a while to work so we'll see. I also have an appointment with an allergist in a month.

One recent finding I've had about my face is that the puffiness/flushing is strongly tied to hormone levels- I have one week a month where the swelling and flushing is significantly worse and then the next week it's great (not back to normal, but relatively really good), then back to moderate, then the cycle repeats. Yesterday I came across an article about how hormones can affect histamine levels as well as how the body responds to histamine, so histamine/mast cells could still be the main thing affecting my rosacea but now there's this added hormone element I have to research as well.

Are you still doing well with the Nasalcrom?

Unfortunately I haven't seen a huge improvement yet. I'm still using the Nasalcrom but started trying some other things as well as of last week- that is a Quercetin with Bromelain supplement and a DAO enzyme pill before meals. I think both of these supplements are supposed to take a while to work so we'll see. I also have an appointment with an allergist in a month.

One recent finding I've had about my face is that the puffiness/flushing is strongly tied to hormone levels- I have one week a month where the swelling and flushing is significantly worse and then the next week it's great (not back to normal, but relatively really good), then back to moderate, then the cycle repeats. Yesterday I came across an article about how hormones can affect histamine levels as well as how the body responds to histamine, so histamine/mast cells could still be the main thing affecting my rosacea but now there's this added hormone element I have to research as well.

Are you still doing well with the Nasalcrom?

Nasalcrom is still working. I also have now been prescribed Nalcrom. The dose is 800mg a day(200mg four times before meals).
    I found previously the only way to stop my nose swelling was not going to sleep and staying up throughout the night (doing assignments). Obviously not sustainable or healthy to do but I was shocked how much the swelling went down by not sleeping/laying down.