Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Am I showing clear signs of demodectic rosacea?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    23

    Default Am I showing clear signs of demodectic rosacea?

    Here are a list of my symptoms. I am hoping to get some suggestions from the forum. Specifically on how I should approach my dermatologist regarding this. I've only had one visit and he was quick to diagnose rosacea. I would attach a photo. I'm embarrassed to admit this. But I do not know how. If anyone would like to help me accomplish that let me know below. I am currently using finacea and bactrim (I am allergic to tetrocycline).

    Okay back the symptoms

    0. Severely "dry skin" that can feel coarse almost
    1. Permanent redness on nose and cheeks near nose. Redness is sort of in the typical "butterfly shape". It runs under my eye sockets. But it tapers off considerably as it moves away from those spots on my cheeks.
    2. Enlarged pores on cheeks on either side near nose. But in only in those spots.
    3. I have noticed small white specs on chin and jawline. Also on cheeks to some extent. They are not in the extremely red areas like nose and cheeks. I also noticed them possibly in my eyebrows. I suspect those are demodex mites from what I've read. I'm also assuming I can't see the white specs in the redness maybe. It definitely looks like I have white stuff in my pores or something.
    4. I can run my fingernail down my face and "dead skin" literally comes off like I'm running my fingernail through clay. Large amounts of "dead skin". This mainly happens in the shower. I can also do this on my chin and eyebrows. But it's far worse on cheeks.
    5. Flaky skin that seems to come and go at random. But tends to persist on chin and forehead and nose. Specifically the nose though. Very small flakes on chin. More of like a peel on forhead mainly above eyesbrows and in between them. On my nose the skin seems to constantly be peeling. Specifically around the nostrals. Some days I'll wake up and my cheeks,nose,forehead will all be peeling. But this only happens sometimes.
    6. I get tiny whiteheads on nose and cheeks. Very small and scattered. They are very small almost not noticeable untill I look closely. I only get them on the red parts of my cheeks. Sometimes accompanied by small red bumps that seem to disappear quickly. The whiteheads on my nose are more noticeable than the ones on my cheeks. The ones on my nose are a more common occurrence than the ones on my cheeks.
    7. Sometimes I'll experience some itching at night. Usually on chin and random spots of cheeks. Sometime accompanied by a crawling sensation. This is not persistent though.
    8. Some mornings I awake with a mucus like gunk in my eyelashes. It doesn't look like demodex mites from pictures I've seen. But i can't be sure. As it's become a regular occurrence this year.
    9. I do not flush at all seemingly. And if I am flushing I'm not noticing it. Which seems unlikely with what I've read about flushes. Of course my face can appear more red at times. Specifically when getting out of the shower. Maybe because by then I've scraped all the dead skin away?
    I think that's all of my major symptoms? I am a male btw.

    Oh I have been diagnosed with Seb Derm on hairline and temples near hair. Although nizoral shampoo use seems to keep it in check. Have not experienced a flare up in a few of months now. I was also on oral terbinafine for the past three months or so for something unrelated. Don't know if it's contributed to the remission.
    If anybody can give me some insight on what's going on. And how to approach my dermatologist with concerns about demodex mites. I would greatly appreciate it.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Brady Barrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI, USA
    Posts
    4,782

    Default

    While some physicians think it is important to take demodex density counts, the bottom line is to simply treat for demodectic rosacea and see if you improve. It usually takes 12 weeks using ivermectin to get clearance, but you should see improvement in a month. Soolantra is the topical of choice with prescription medication, while many have been using horse paste as an alternative to the high cost of Soolantra if you don't have insurance. Some reports of taking oral ivermectin are good, but there are not many who have tried it. Suggest you simply refer your physician to this page on demodectic rosacea if your dermatologist isn't aware of it. Most up to date dermatologists are fully aware of demodectic rosacea. Studies have shown that ivermectin is more effective than metronidazole which dermatologists have handed out prescriptions for metronidazole for decades like candy. The best way to see if your skin condition has something to do with demodex mites is treat with ivermectin and you should know within a month if your skin improves. The Gold Standard of treatment for rosacea is Oracea and Soolantra.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 2nd August 2019 at 11:36 PM.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    While some physicians think it is important to take demodex density counts, the bottom line is to simply treat for demodectic rosacea and see if you improve. It usually takes 12 weeks using ivermectin to get clearance, but you should see improvement in a month. Soolantra is the topical of choice with prescription medication, while many have been using horse paste as an alternative to the high cost of Soolantra if you don't have insurance. Some reports of taking oral ivermectin are good, but there are not many who have tried it. Suggest you simply refer your physician to this page on demodectic rosacea if your dermatologist isn't aware of it. Most up to date dermatologists are fully aware of demodectic rosacea. Studies have shown that ivermectin is more effective than metronidazole which dermatologists have handed out prescriptions for metronidazole for decades like candy. The best way to see if your skin condition has something to do with demodex mites is treat with ivermectin and you should know within a month if your skin improves. The Gold Standard of treatment for rosacea is Oracea and Soolantra.
    Brady I will definitely be asking for Soolantra at my next dermatologist visit on the 7th of those month. If that aggravates my Seb Derm I will probably try ZZ cream or the horse paste.
    This is sort of unrelated. But you seem to be the only person responding to threads atm with knowledge on this subject.
    Do you think using a liquid foundation with spf is a bad idea for someone with possible demodectic rosacea? I read in another thread that a gentleman was using it to mask redness. I will be doing some traveling starting the 19th. I suffer from severe anxiety and my facial redness is turning that into a social phobia. I am seriously considering a make-up essentially to mask redness. I'll also be meeting some of my girlfriends family. So it's kind of a high stress situation. I don't want make-up to make it worse. Especially with the dry texture associated with skin issues.
    Thanks in advance for all your help on this forum. I saw you in the soolantra thread. No wonder you have so much dedication to this. Oh and I finally successfully joined the forum you linked me to. Not as active as I wish it was. But still plenty of info.
    Okay I'm done having an anxiety attack for the night. Going to read and hopefully sleep.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    While some physicians think it is important to take demodex density counts, the bottom line is to simply treat for demodectic rosacea and see if you improve. It usually takes 12 weeks using ivermectin to get clearance, but you should see improvement in a month. Soolantra is the topical of choice with prescription medication, while many have been using horse paste as an alternative to the high cost of Soolantra if you don't have insurance. Some reports of taking oral ivermectin are good, but there are not many who have tried it. Suggest you simply refer your physician to this page on demodectic rosacea if your dermatologist isn't aware of it. Most up to date dermatologists are fully aware of demodectic rosacea. Studies have shown that ivermectin is more effective than metronidazole which dermatologists have handed out prescriptions for metronidazole for decades like candy. The best way to see if your skin condition has something to do with demodex mites is treat with ivermectin and you should know within a month if your skin improves. The Gold Standard of treatment for rosacea is Oracea and Soolantra.
    One more question for you Brady. Then I promise I'll stop asking you here or contact you on the other board. Are demodex mites contagious? I am reading about it and not really getting a concise answer. I am all of a sudden very concerned that I will spread it to my girlfriend. She is 24 and has a daily skin care regimen to remove make-up/wash face. We will be sharing a bed. We don't share towels or anything. But I mean should I be concerned?

  5. #5
    Senior Member Brady Barrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI, USA
    Posts
    4,782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mothinrust View Post
    Brady I will definitely be asking for Soolantra at my next dermatologist visit on the 7th of those month. If that aggravates my Seb Derm I will probably try ZZ cream or the horse paste.
    This is sort of unrelated. But you seem to be the only person responding to threads atm with knowledge on this subject.
    Do you think using a liquid foundation with spf is a bad idea for someone with possible demodectic rosacea? I read in another thread that a gentleman was using it to mask redness. I will be doing some traveling starting the 19th. I suffer from severe anxiety and my facial redness is turning that into a social phobia. I am seriously considering a make-up essentially to mask redness. I'll also be meeting some of my girlfriends family. So it's kind of a high stress situation. I don't want make-up to make it worse. Especially with the dry texture associated with skin issues.
    Thanks in advance for all your help on this forum. I saw you in the soolantra thread. No wonder you have so much dedication to this. Oh and I finally successfully joined the forum you linked me to. Not as active as I wish it was. But still plenty of info.
    Okay I'm done having an anxiety attack for the night. Going to read and hopefully sleep.
    Moth,

    Glad you joined the RRDi. Thanks for joining. As for cosmetics for rosacea, I really am not an expert on this subject, but there is a lot of posts to consider on this subject here. Of course, the main idea is to use a cosmetic that won't irritate your skin. I wish I could help you more, but I simply don't use cosmetics. There are a number of posts to consider about psychology and rosacea. Since you have dry skin, which I really can't relate to since I have oily skin, what I do know is that rose hip oil keeps coming up as one of the best moisturizers in many anecdotal reports. Not sure what brand is the best, but here are a number of them. Hope you post something at the RRDi. Getting members to post is really a challenge and no one seems to explain why they don't post at the RRDi. And this forum is also not as active as it once was. It appears that Rosaceans have gone to Facebook, Instagram and Reddit to post.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

  6. #6
    Senior Member Brady Barrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI, USA
    Posts
    4,782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mothinrust View Post
    One more question for you Brady. Then I promise I'll stop asking you here or contact you on the other board. Are demodex mites contagious? I am reading about it and not really getting a concise answer. I am all of a sudden very concerned that I will spread it to my girlfriend. She is 24 and has a daily skin care regimen to remove make-up/wash face. We will be sharing a bed. We don't share towels or anything. But I mean should I be concerned?
    Thanks for posting your question at the RRDi which I have responded to for your consideration.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Similar Threads

  1. I need your help please. I have posted pictures. Could it be Demodectic Rosacea?
    By atlas222 in forum Similar and co-existing conditions
    Replies: 108
    Last Post: 28th September 2019, 07:39 PM
  2. Demodectic Rosacea Headlines in the News
    By Brady Barrows in forum News, research articles and current affairs
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 30th October 2012, 03:07 PM
  3. Demodectic Rosacea - The Chicken, Not the Egg
    By Brady Barrows in forum News, research articles and current affairs
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 16th July 2012, 04:28 PM
  4. Pre-teen showing early signs of rosacea
    By Momof3 in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 7th October 2009, 05:10 PM
  5. Demodectic Rosacea
    By Brady Barrows in forum News, research articles and current affairs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2nd March 2007, 08:43 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •