Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Redness related to burning?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    128
    Country: Great Britain

    Default Redness related to burning?

    I have been suffering with rosacea for 7 years, since I was 21. Mine literally came on overnight when I moved into a new flat in my last year of university. I woke up on the 3rd day with red burning cheeks, and since then, I have never had complete relief. Never had any skin problems since that day, so I don't know whether it was an environmental trigger, but it literally came out of nowhere. The first 5 years of my condition were manageable, I had flushing but no persistent redness and I saw it as manageable. I had non-purpuric vbeams to keep flushing under control and seemingly went about my life.

    The last couple of years however have been the toughest of my life by a long way. Persistent redness on the cheeks and nose, and now spreading to both temples, accompanied by intense burning. For the last couple of years the persistent redness has been mild, but the burning has been really intense. It is only in the last month that the redness and burning have been equally as bad.

    What I want to know is whether the redness and burning are correlated? I saw a new derm who said that most rosaceans care more about the redness, and that's why they opt for laser treatment. However, for me, the burning is what causes me the most pain, albeit in the last month, the redness has also been really bad. For me, when the redness gets worse, as does the burning sensation. The purpuric vbeam's in the past which have attacked the redness have also blunted the burning sensation, so is it these superficial blood vessels, or the nerves supplying them what's causing both the redness and burning?

    I had a non-purpuric vbeam a few weeks ago which seeminly just made the condition worse - I wanted a bruising one, but the new derm said that my condition wasn't severe enough for a purpuric vbeam. I should have insisted but they were adament it wasn't a good idea, and the non-purpuric vbeam has seeminly aggrevated the superficial vessels. I only went to a new derm because my old one was on Paternity leave, otherwise I would have never gone with a new derm.


    I have had 15+ Vbeams in the past, but its only the last 4 vbeams I have had persistent redness, rather than just flushing. I am going back to my old derm on the 7th August for a purpuric vbeam which I am praying is going to help both the redness and burning.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    151
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seb91 View Post
    I have been suffering with rosacea for 7 years, since I was 21. Mine literally came on overnight when I moved into a new flat in my last year of university. I woke up on the 3rd day with red burning cheeks, and since then, I have never had complete relief. Never had any skin problems since that day, so I don't know whether it was an environmental trigger, but it literally came out of nowhere. The first 5 years of my condition were manageable, I had flushing but no persistent redness and I saw it as manageable. I had non-purpuric vbeams to keep flushing under control and seemingly went about my life.

    The last couple of years however have been the toughest of my life by a long way. Persistent redness on the cheeks and nose, and now spreading to both temples, accompanied by intense burning. For the last couple of years the persistent redness has been mild, but the burning has been really intense. It is only in the last month that the redness and burning have been equally as bad.

    What I want to know is whether the redness and burning are correlated? I saw a new derm who said that most rosaceans care more about the redness, and that's why they opt for laser treatment. However, for me, the burning is what causes me the most pain, albeit in the last month, the redness has also been really bad. For me, when the redness gets worse, as does the burning sensation. The purpuric vbeam's in the past which have attacked the redness have also blunted the burning sensation, so is it these superficial blood vessels, or the nerves supplying them what's causing both the redness and burning?

    I had a non-purpuric vbeam a few weeks ago which seeminly just made the condition worse - I wanted a bruising one, but the new derm said that my condition wasn't severe enough for a purpuric vbeam. I should have insisted but they were adament it wasn't a good idea, and the non-purpuric vbeam has seeminly aggrevated the superficial vessels. I only went to a new derm because my old one was on Paternity leave, otherwise I would have never gone with a new derm.


    I have had 15+ Vbeams in the past, but its only the last 4 vbeams I have had persistent redness, rather than just flushing. I am going back to my old derm on the 7th August for a purpuric vbeam which I am praying is going to help both the redness and burning.
    I understand what you are going through. I have constant heat sensitivity to my face and ears and constant burning. I have to use spray bottle and handheld fan everywhere I go. I have had several IPLs and my condition was only exacerbated by the laser. I have not done the v-beams. I agree that I could care less about the redness as long as the burning was gone. I get heat sensitivity first then flush then flare and swell then horrible pain like acid on the face.

    I am taking propranolol 40 mg 3x a day, clonidine .2mg3x a day, cbd capsule 25mg a day, Palmitoylethanolamide 600 mg 2 x a day and LDN (low dose naltrexone) 1.5 mg at. Bedtime. I have noticed a little bit of less heat sensitivity at least indoors with the LDN. Let me know what your regular derm says about any particular laser that may help the burning pain.

    Thank you.
    Angela

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    128
    Country: Great Britain

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ange4 View Post
    I understand what you are going through. I have constant heat sensitivity to my face and ears and constant burning. I have to use spray bottle and handheld fan everywhere I go. I have had several IPLs and my condition was only exacerbated by the laser. I have not done the v-beams. I agree that I could care less about the redness as long as the burning was gone. I get heat sensitivity first then flush then flare and swell then horrible pain like acid on the face.

    I am taking propranolol 40 mg 3x a day, clonidine .2mg3x a day, cbd capsule 25mg a day, Palmitoylethanolamide 600 mg 2 x a day and LDN (low dose naltrexone) 1.5 mg at. Bedtime. I have noticed a little bit of less heat sensitivity at least indoors with the LDN. Let me know what your regular derm says about any particular laser that may help the burning pain.

    Thank you.
    Angela
    Hi Angela,

    I have been having Vbeams for years which initially definitely helped the burning. However, my condition over the last 2 years has regressed to the point of persistent redness and constant burning. I had one bruising Vbeam last April that did wonders for both my redness and burning, I have covered it in another thread but happy to send you pictures and laser settings.

    Having said that, my last laser 3 weeks ago seemed to not have the same impact that the one last April did. I am at a loss on how to deal with it. I eat really well taking the functional approach but my skin now restricts me doing the things I love (going to the gym, surfing, play golf). I have had to leave my job recently because it has got so bad. It's been really tough and many people underestimate the impact the feeling of constant sunburn and sensitivity has on you.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    829

    Default

    Hi Seb

    I know you're concerned about trying oral medications, but have you tried Zhongzhou cream? This is less invasive than laser or oral medications, but has helped a lot of people on the forum. It took away the remaining burning/nearly all redness that oral medications didn't for me (I really wish I'd tried it 7 years earlier!). I would say I've noticed quite a few people who initially found IPL or laser helpful have eventually had a bad treatment and given up on it, though I know you do generally find the treatments so far. However, good laser treatments are, what they cannot treat are issues below the surface of the skin with the blood vessels that cause flushing (e.g. if the blood is clotting too much in the effected vessels underneath the skin, a systemic issue with the blood, or a problem with the nerves causing flushing).

    The other things you can do that are not invasive are dietary changes (I think you're already doing this?) and avoiding having chlorinated tap water touching the rosacea affected areas of your face (clean them with mineral water instead) - this last point may seem small but made a huge difference to me (as much as medications I'd say). Chlorinated tap water is great to make cheap safe water, but is terrible for highly sensitive rosacea skin.

    Was the student room you stayed in very hot when the redness started? E.g. a hot room at a hot time of year?

    I get a lot less burning since I treated the demodex mites, even when I get transient redness still.
    Last edited by antwantsclear; 27th August 2019 at 12:03 PM.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    27
    Country: Spain

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seb91 View Post
    I have been suffering with rosacea for 7 years, since I was 21. Mine literally came on overnight when I moved into a new flat in my last year of university. I woke up on the 3rd day with red burning cheeks, and since then, I have never had complete relief. Never had any skin problems since that day, so I don't know whether it was an environmental trigger, but it literally came out of nowhere. The first 5 years of my condition were manageable, I had flushing but no persistent redness and I saw it as manageable. I had non-purpuric vbeams to keep flushing under control and seemingly went about my life.

    The last couple of years however have been the toughest of my life by a long way. Persistent redness on the cheeks and nose, and now spreading to both temples, accompanied by intense burning. For the last couple of years the persistent redness has been mild, but the burning has been really intense. It is only in the last month that the redness and burning have been equally as bad.

    What I want to know is whether the redness and burning are correlated? I saw a new derm who said that most rosaceans care more about the redness, and that's why they opt for laser treatment. However, for me, the burning is what causes me the most pain, albeit in the last month, the redness has also been really bad. For me, when the redness gets worse, as does the burning sensation. The purpuric vbeam's in the past which have attacked the redness have also blunted the burning sensation, so is it these superficial blood vessels, or the nerves supplying them what's causing both the redness and burning?

    I had a non-purpuric vbeam a few weeks ago which seeminly just made the condition worse - I wanted a bruising one, but the new derm said that my condition wasn't severe enough for a purpuric vbeam. I should have insisted but they were adament it wasn't a good idea, and the non-purpuric vbeam has seeminly aggrevated the superficial vessels. I only went to a new derm because my old one was on Paternity leave, otherwise I would have never gone with a new derm.


    I have had 15+ Vbeams in the past, but its only the last 4 vbeams I have had persistent redness, rather than just flushing. I am going back to my old derm on the 7th August for a purpuric vbeam which I am praying is going to help both the redness and burning.
    Hey! My case is similar to yours. I began IPL treatment time ago (2017) to reduces redness, mainly. Since the first session, a weird sensation appeared in my face and lasts until now: I can "feel" how the blood flows through the capillaries of my right cheek and how the capillaries "beat" or dilatate and constrict. Guess it is not what is happening in reality, but I dont know any way to describe it better. Before IPL, I did not feel that sensation ever.

    My burning sensation began to worse more and more since then. I think IPL made my skin more sensitive and, also, I have Hashimoto's and in that time my thyroid was going crazy. So, I think both were/are causes of my constant redness/irritation and burning sensation.

    Recently I have been searching for information about what is called "neurogenic rosacea". Do your research, if you want; because many symptoms that you and I have are correlated to this condition. In my case, I am pretty sure that first IPL session damaged my nerve endings or sensory nerves of the face, making them very hyperexcitable and dysfunctional (also, it can be dysfunctional due to my autoimmune disease)Ö So they react to whatever trigger very hardly. Also, if you have any dysfunctional small fibers/sensory nerves/nerve endings, it can impact on the vascular function; and vice versa.

    I may be wrong in most of the things I am telling you or I think I "know". But the general idea is that.


    I recommend you to read the posts of "laser_cat" (her name is Lizzy). She suffers from neurogenic rosacea and knows a lot about this condition.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    128
    Country: Great Britain

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    Hi Seb

    I know you're concerned about trying oral medications, but have you tried Zhongzhou cream? This is less invasive than laser or oral medications, but has helped a lot of people on the forum. It took away the remaining burning/nearly all redness that oral medications didn't for me (I really wish I'd tried it 7 years earlier!). I would say I've noticed quite a few people who initially found IPL or laser helpful have eventually had a bad treatment and given up on it, though I know you do generally find the treatments so far. However, good laser treatments are, what they cannot treat are issues below the surface of the skin with the blood vessels that cause flushing (e.g. if the blood is clotting too much in the effected vessels underneath the skin, a systemic issue with the blood, or a problem with the nerves causing flushing).

    The other things you can do that are not invasive are dietary changes (I think you're already doing this?) and avoiding having chlorinated tap water touching the rosacea affected areas of your face (clean them with mineral water instead) - this last point may seem small but made a huge difference to me (as much as medications I'd say). Chlorinated tap water is great to make cheap safe water, but is terrible for highly sensitive rosacea skin.

    Was the student room you stayed in very hot when the redness started? E.g. a hot room at a hot time of year?

    I get a lot less burning since I treated the demodex mites, even when I get transient redness still.
    Hey,

    Thanks for the advice, will check it out. Interesting with regards to the tap water, I will definitely check this out.

    Yes, working on dietry changes and actually just tested positive for SIBO. I know there is a report out there which links SIBO to rosacea, but I believe that is more related to subtype 2, whilst I strictly have subtype 1 (persistent redness and burning). I will of course treat the SIBO to see if it has any correlation to the burning/inflammation.


    Mine is such a curious case. The room wasn't hot, but the only thing I remeber is using the pillows which has been left there before as I forgot mine. My redness and burning came on night 3, woke up in the middle of the night with red burning cheeks and had rosacea ever since. First 5 years were manageble as was only flushing but the last 2 years its progressed to persistent redness and burning, its been pretty unliveable. Another very strange thing is that when I go in the sun, initially I am sensitive for a week or so, but then my skin seems to adapt and I tan, and the burning diminishes. I have attached a picture of my skin last year 2 months after a bruising vbeam after I had been surfing for a week.

    I am tempted to just go and live on a beach and surf for the rest of my life if it means no more burning/redness and pain. Sounds pretty good anyway!

    IMG_0334.jpg

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seb91 View Post
    Hey,

    Thanks for the advice, will check it out. Interesting with regards to the tap water, I will definitely check this out.

    Yes, working on dietry changes and actually just tested positive for SIBO. I know there is a report out there which links SIBO to rosacea, but I believe that is more related to subtype 2, whilst I strictly have subtype 1 (persistent redness and burning). I will of course treat the SIBO to see if it has any correlation to the burning/inflammation.


    Mine is such a curious case. The room wasn't hot, but the only thing I remeber is using the pillows which has been left there before as I forgot mine. My redness and burning came on night 3, woke up in the middle of the night with red burning cheeks and had rosacea ever since. First 5 years were manageble as was only flushing but the last 2 years its progressed to persistent redness and burning, its been pretty unliveable. Another very strange thing is that when I go in the sun, initially I am sensitive for a week or so, but then my skin seems to adapt and I tan, and the burning diminishes. I have attached a picture of my skin last year 2 months after a bruising vbeam after I had been surfing for a week.

    I am tempted to just go and live on a beach and surf for the rest of my life if it means no more burning/redness and pain. Sounds pretty good anyway!

    IMG_0334.jpg
    Demodex mites can live off the human body for a certain amount of time (the length of time depends on type of material, temperature, moisture etc). So, it may be that you did pick up an infestation of mites in that way. Another great way to pick up a large infestation of them is from dogs, who are regularly treated for demodex mite related conditions using ivermectin. Zhongzhou cream should help if the problem is demodex mites. It could be the salted sea water kills the mites - several people have said sea water helps rosacea.
    Last edited by antwantsclear; 30th August 2019 at 02:01 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    128
    Country: Great Britain

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    Demodex mites can live off the human body for a certain amount of time (the length of time depends on type of material, temperature, moisture etc). So, it may be that you did pick up an infestation of mites in that way. Another great way to pick up a large infestation of them is from dogs, who are regularly treated for demodex mite related conditions using ivermectin. Zhongzhou cream should help if the problem is demodex mites. It could be the salted sea water kills the mites - several people have said sea water helps rosacea.
    Hey,

    I was always under the impression that demodex was associated more with subtype 2. I also read that they can't live in surfaces such as pillow cases etc, but only on the skin (hence why I ruled out any correlation between the pillow cases and my immediate onset of rosacea.)

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seb91 View Post
    Hey,

    I was always under the impression that demodex was associated more with subtype 2. I also read that they can't live in surfaces such as pillow cases etc, but only on the skin (hence why I ruled out any correlation between the pillow cases and my immediate onset of rosacea.)
    They can live for up to around 48-72 hours off the skin, and they like moist surfaces like towels. Professor Frank Powell in Dublin is leading the most thorough research on demodex mites and rosacea and he has identified them as contributing to type 1 not only type 2. You will also find many people on this forum who are treating type 1 (redness, flushing, burning) with demodex mite treatments such as Zhongzhou cream and Soolantra. Demodex mite treatments have made a big difference to my ears for example where I never get type 2 rosacea at all.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Brady Barrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI, USA
    Posts
    4,739

    Default

    Some new light on the demodex mites are:

    (1) Movement

    "In the examination of healthy people by light microscopy, Demodex mites were detected in 6 cases (2.8%). Given the ability of the mites to move over the surface of the skin at a speed of 8-16 mm/h, as well as random selection of the study site, this fact does not prove the absence of mites."

    (2) After 30 days of Ivermectin Treatment there is an INCREASE of demodex mites

    "Patients enrolled in subgroup A received only external therapy with a drug containing 1% ivermectin in the form of a cream 1 time per day for 30 days. Patients enrolled in subgroup B received a drug containing 250 mg of metronidazole systemically 2 times a day, externally 1% metronidazole in the form of a gel 1 time per day for 30 days. A repeat visit of the patients took place after 30 days of continuous therapy. Subjectively, treatment regimens of patients were well tolerated, no side effects were noted, no patient was excluded from the study. When comparing the efficacy of the therapy, it was found that statistically significantly more Demodex mites were found after treatment with confocal laser scanning in vivo microscopy (P≤0.05) (Table 7)."

    Nevertheless, the ivermectin treatment after the 30 days IMPROVED rosacea even though the mites increased.

    "Analysis of the clinical picture showed a positive dynamics of therapy, which manifested itself in a significant decrease in the number of morphological elements characterizing the severity of inflammation (P≤0.05). The effectiveness of the therapy was confirmed by a reduction in subjective complaints of patients after the treatment, and patients who received only external therapy had no complaints of a feeling of lusters of skin and the appearance of greasy lusters, which is an additional advantage."

    More information

    (3) Reduced TLR2 expression in sebocytes

    “Our results also show for the first time that Demodex mites secrete bioactive molecules that reduced TLR2 expression in sebocytes.”

    More information
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 31st August 2019 at 05:38 PM.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Similar Threads

  1. Facail burning w/ little to no redness?
    By meg101 in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 26th May 2018, 11:30 PM
  2. Pimples, redness and burning
    By Spectacularviews in forum Newbie questions / Introduction
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 1st February 2018, 04:10 PM
  3. Redness. Burning why.
    By Gil1978 in forum Photos
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29th September 2016, 07:11 PM
  4. All of a sudden burning after washing...Arazine related maybe?
    By snuffleupagus in forum Prescription medications
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 24th April 2011, 06:32 PM
  5. I have facial burning, but very little redness?
    By Boston in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 4th March 2006, 01:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •