Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Redness related to burning?

Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    They can live for up to around 48-72 hours off the skin, and they like moist surfaces like towels. Professor Frank Powell in Dublin is leading the most thorough research on demodex mites and rosacea and he has identified them as contributing to type 1 not only type 2. You will also find many people on this forum who are treating type 1 (redness, flushing, burning) with demodex mite treatments such as Zhongzhou cream and Soolantra. Demodex mite treatments have made a big difference to my ears for example where I never get type 2 rosacea at all.
    Hey antwantsclear,

I have decided to explore the link between mites and my rosacea a little bit more and going to look at getting a refferal to Dr Powell. I am at my wits end, but trying to explore all the options. I have tried Soolantra before, albeit only for a couple of weeks which may not have been long enough. I am super sensitised to any skin creams, I can't even tolerate the Cetaphil cleanser and moisturiser, so hoping Soolantra won't be too bad if I do give it another go.

Quote Originally Posted by Seb91 View Post
    Hey antwantsclear,

I have decided to explore the link between mites and my rosacea a little bit more and going to look at getting a refferal to Dr Powell. I am at my wits end, but trying to explore all the options. I have tried Soolantra before, albeit only for a couple of weeks which may not have been long enough. I am super sensitised to any skin creams, I can't even tolerate the Cetaphil cleanser and moisturiser, so hoping Soolantra won't be too bad if I do give it another go.
    Hi Seb

I think a referral to Professor Powell would be a very good idea. However, when I was referred I wasn't able to get one - interesting to see if you can. There is a very big shortage of doctors in Ireland (e.g. 2 year waiting lists sometimes), so any very well qualified ones like him are very careful who they decide to see, and I had already tried most options he could offer. Even if you can't see him, his textbook on rosacea gives you an indication of many of the treatment options he may use. Beyond Soolantra, I'm not sure what treatments he would offer you for demodex except possibly oral Ivermectin (off licence), but that is not commonly prescribed for rosacea. Zhongzhou cream has been very successful for many people (e.g. I found it much better than Soolantra cream) to kill mites and is available on Amazon - Brady also uses it I believe, who you'll know has a thorough knowledge of rosacea treatments. Professor Tony Chu can offer you many treatments to help with the redness and flushing, but he is not interested in the demodex mites theory. I suggest exploring both his treatment options and the demodex mite treatments - this is clearly bothering you a lot. In the end, 95% of adults have demodex mites (according to studies) so there is a very good chance that mites are interfering in some way with your rosacea.

I've found this to be a good place to buy demodex mite treatments - it's important to treat the hair as well as the face:
    https://demodex.co.uk/shop/
    Last edited by antwantsclear; Today at 10:57 AM.