Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PDL Recovery Tips?

Default PDL Recovery Tips?

I had PDL for the first time yesterday and it was supposed to be non bruising. Instead I have broken blood vessels in streaks under my eyes and on one cheek and my face is swollen up.

Any tips on how to speed recovery? I wondered if diuretics would help the swelling... Iím using ice and sleeping propped up. This went from something that I thought might take a couple of days to recover from to something that looks like it will take weeks.

My laser doctor recommends ice packs, an antihistamine, and acetaminophen/paracetamol (not an NSAID like ibuprofen or aspirin as this can interfere with coagulation of the vessels the laser is intended to destroy). I follow this routine immediately after the treatment, along with exposing my face to car air conditioning, to minimize adverse effects. I don't know if it's too late to help now. I've seen some people also recommend arnica gel but he dismissed this. In extreme cases an oral steroid could be taken but others here will probably warn against this.

From what he's told me, it's not always possible to predict whether someone will bruise, but some skin types, PDL settings, devices, and combinations thereof make bruising more likely. The newest devices such as Vbeam Prima are less likely to cause bruising.

Quote Originally Posted by jrlhamcat2 View Post
    My laser doctor recommends ice packs, an antihistamine, and acetaminophen/paracetamol (not an NSAID like ibuprofen or aspirin as this can interfere with coagulation of the vessels the laser is intended to destroy). I follow this routine immediately after the treatment, along with exposing my face to car air conditioning, to minimize adverse effects. I don't know if it's too late to help now. I've seen some people also recommend arnica gel but he dismissed this. In extreme cases an oral steroid could be taken but others here will probably warn against this.

From what he's told me, it's not always possible to predict whether someone will bruise, but some skin types, PDL settings, devices, and combinations thereof make bruising more likely. The newest devices such as Vbeam Prima are less likely to cause bruising.
    Thanks! I have done ice, antihistamine, sleeping elevated, arnica (oral and topical). The marks are strange because they arenít the purpura like I have seen in photos- they are red and bloody looking but under the skin. They might have faded some, but the color isnít changing like you would expect a bruise to do. In one spot it looks like there might be a scab.

My swelling is better but still there after 2.5 days. Thereís no way I could leave the house.

I'm not sure what's going on with the red marks. It sounds like maybe something coagulated and hopefully it will get absorbed. Is it worth asking the doctor what happened? Sorry I don't have better answers.

Skinceuticals do an Epidermal Repair Cream specifically for recovery after laser treatments on the skin. It does speed healing I think. However, if you continue to have problems after this treatment, I would be very cautious to embark on further laser or IPL treatment.

Skinceuticals have a redness neutralizer too, but Im a bit worried that one is not accepted by my skin at all

Quote Originally Posted by opare View Post
    Skinceuticals have a redness neutralizer too, but Im a bit worried that one is not accepted by my skin at all
    Yeah the Epidermal Rebuilder cream seems to be their best product for hyper sensitive skin. Zhongzhou cream ironically reduces my redness most of any cream, more than any redness neutralising creams, although it can initially cause a little trauma and might not be suitable for daily use for everyone. If redness is caused by demodex mites, then it makes sense that products that specifically address that, zhongzhou cream or Soolantra cream, will best address that redness.

Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    Yeah the Epidermal Rebuilder cream seems to be their best product for hyper sensitive skin. Zhongzhou cream ironically reduces my redness most of any cream, more than any redness neutralising creams, although it can initially cause a little trauma and might not be suitable for daily use for everyone. If redness is caused by demodex mites, then it makes sense that products that specifically address that, zhongzhou cream or Soolantra cream, will best address that redness.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Iím now almost two weeks since the treatment and I still canít leave my house. This wasnít even supposed to be bruising treatment. It is getting sloooowly better but I have no idea if it will actually totally heal back to even baseline before treatment. I have tried covering if with make up and even then it looks terrible. I basically have red raccoon marks under my eyes, much worse on my left. The doctor said thatís just because the veins are more superficial there and I must have had clusters there. Iím skeptical that the worst spots were in rings under my eyes when I hadnít noticed that before...

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. Iím now almost two weeks since the treatment and I still canít leave my house. This wasnít even supposed to be bruising treatment. It is getting sloooowly better but I have no idea if it will actually totally heal back to even baseline before treatment. I have tried covering if with make up and even then it looks terrible. I basically have red raccoon marks under my eyes, much worse on my left. The doctor said thatís just because the veins are more superficial there and I must have had clusters there. Iím skeptical that the worst spots were in rings under my eyes when I hadnít noticed that before...
    I agree with you - IPL and laser can encourage more vein growth and the best laser doctors will admit that. Once you've had a bad laser treatment, I'd be very reluctant to have any more. Doctors make a lot of money per laser or IPL treatment (and have to try and get payback for renting the expensive machines). By contrast, the medications which can help rosacea flushing and redness make the doctor no money and they have less incentive to recommend them - but they can be very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    I agree with you - IPL and laser can encourage more vein growth and the best laser doctors will admit that. Once you've had a bad laser treatment, I'd be very reluctant to have any more. Doctors make a lot of money per laser or IPL treatment (and have to try and get payback for renting the expensive machines). By contrast, the medications which can help rosacea flushing and redness make the doctor no money and they have less incentive to recommend them - but they can be very effective.
    The only problem is I have tried the medications and none have worked. This dr did suggest them but Iím already on them or have tried them. She isnít pushing more laser at the moment- I just am skeptical that all of this will clear on its own. But maybe I just have to be patient and wait like a month or something crazy. Sigh.