Thread: Sunscreen for Rosacea reviews

Default Sunscreen for Rosacea reviews

My impressions on the three rosacea sunscreens that I've been using this summer:

1) Bioderma Photoderm AR SPF 50+ tinted sunscreen. Chemical sunscreen. Includes licorice extract which is supposed to be helpful in rosacea. I struggled with this one pilling when my skin texture wasn't perfect. The sun protection is very high but it's also quite greasy/oily looking (despite being a chemical rather than mineral sunscreen). I always wear sunscreens with a quite heavy dose of Avene mosaic illuminating powder over the top to set it and keep it from looking greasy; with this one, it's an imperfect result. With exertion/sweating, it breaks up especially on the parts of my cheeks where my sunglasses frame rests, as well as my nose and chin. I sweat a lot with this one. It's the highest SPF I use and I think I will probably restrict it to the times of day/year with the most intense sunlight. This was the sunscreen that my dermatologist recommended. Overall I'm happy with it in terms of it being completely non-irritating, and the high SPF, but cosmetically it's not my favorite.

bio9159_bioderma-photoderm-ar-spf-50-30-ml.jpg

2) Uriage Roseliane CC Cream SPF 30 universal tint. Mineral sunscreen (titanium dioxide). I didn't start using this one until my skin texture was perfect so I don't know how it handles uneven texture. Very gentle on the skin. Obviously less sun protection than the Bioderma. I find that sometimes with CC creams you can't use as much as you would of sunscreen because the tint is too strong, in this case that was not an issue, I use the same amount as I would with any sunscreen. Very smooth application and sheer/light coverage. I don't think this would cover more than mild redness. This would probably be my preference in winter because it's very comfortable to wear but doesn't have the highest SPF.

b048163dd9b2cee34480c9d7563b6cbf.jpg

3) Frezyderm Sensitive Red Skin CC Cream SPF 30 Ultra Covering Rosacea Symptoms. Mineral sunscreen (Zinc oxide). As a purely zinc sunscreen this one has a much thicker, heavier consistency and goes on a little bit less easily compared to the Uriage or Bioderma. It also has a much higher coverage and feels/acts like a foundation, but of course you can't choose a shade. The shade is darker than I would have liked so I sheer it out by using less than I would for the others, which might impact the SPF rating. By using one pump for my whole face (instead of one pump for each cheek, one for forehead, and 1/2 for each nose and chin), the tint is correct on my (very fair) skin. The coverage is impressive. No pink show-through. Set with the Avene powder it doesn't look cakey even under my eyes. Holds up surprisingly well to exertion/sweating. Velvety finish (that's with the powder - I always set face sunscreen with powder) and remarkable compared to the others. Impressive product especially if you have redness, capillaries, blemishes to hide. The least flexible in terms of getting the tint to work for various skin tones though I think; the only thing to be done is to use less. Working it into the skin doesn't really tone down the tint.

The box says: "Tinted covering cream for the sensitive, reactive, reddened skin. Offers high solar protection from UVA and UVB radiation only with mineral actives. Covers imperfections, soothes rosacea symptoms (redness, couperose, papules, pustules) and provides a homogeneous look. Free of rosacea triggering factors (National Rosacea Society survey)." The literature inside the box has educational material about rosacea [which is in line with what we all understand about it] and says: "The active ingredients in the Sensitive Red Skin products [which also includes a moisturizer] aim to achieve the classical rosacea therapy (strengthening the capillary walls, preventing corruption by inflammatory intermediary particles, strengthening the function of the skin barrier, providing wide antimicrobial action) while the inactive ingredients strengthen the disrupted skin barrier and reduce the symptoms of sensitive, reactive, intolerant skin."

Proionta1786-image-8587266371711936522-s2.jpg

I'm quite happy with all three of these products which is why I'm posting about them, but I think each has its place and wouldn't want to have only one of them. I like the Frezyderm one best if my skin appears to be actively exhibiting rosacea symptoms; the Bioderma one if it's a really intense sun exposure day; and the Uriage one for more relaxed conditions (when my skin is looking pretty good, and my exposure to the sun is not going to be intense), and to save a little money as it's the most affordable of the bunch. None of them irritates my skin at all.

I would probably suggest the Frezyderm one to anyone whose rosacea is moderate to severe, at least to give it a try and see how you get on with it. If you're in the mild category, or uncomfortable about appearing to be wearing makeup, it might feel too much like foundation to you.

As far as what I paid for these. I buy all this kind of thing online because it's cheaper.

Bioderma Photoderm AR: I paid 13.35 for 30 mL but have seen it as low as 10.20. Original price is closer to 20.
    Uriage Roseliane CC cream: I paid 10.14 for 40 mL. Original price is closer to 17.
    Frezyderm Sensitive Red Skin CC cream: I paid 15.82 for 30 mL. Original price is closer to 19.

I believe all of these are widely available in Europe but perhaps Frezyderm may be a little bit harder to come by in some countries.

Is it possible to get a sunblock rather than a sunscreen? I've read that the difference is that a sunblock blocks the sun completely. I haven't been able to find one.

Is a regular SPF 50 considered a sunblock? And does it work for rosacea?
    For example, this one: https://www.amazon.com/Aveeno-Moistu...dp/B00ABIF4IY/

Let's say that I have rosacea due to the sun. Which is top-priority to apply, Soolantra or the sunblock?
    Last edited by ukw; 10th August 2019 at 11:45 PM.