Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skin barrier repair creams

Default Skin barrier repair creams

Do skin barrier repair creams work?
    Iíve seen this come up time and time again.
    But do they actually work or is just a good moisturiser needed ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rubydo1 View Post
    Do skin barrier repair creams work?
    Iíve seen this come up time and time again.
    But do they actually work or is just a good moisturiser needed ?
    Hi.

I would say yes.

Iím erythematotelangiectatic rosacea. My skin type is fairly normal but tends towards dryness and I think they helped me... Especially the ones that contain skin identical ingredients like ceramides and so forth. The first time I tried a cream like that it felt like my face was smiling when I put it on... Iíll never forget that feeling.

Iíve tried two moisturiser brands with skin identical ingredients that help bolster the skin barrier:

- Ceravť pm cream and Ceravť am cream (the am cream also contains an spf) and they both contain niacinamide too. Caveat - When my skin was at its worst ceravť am made my face go red and hot for the first 20 mins after application.

- Intensive Night Nurturing Complex. This is expensive and you need to order it online from Australia... but I love it. Itís the stuff that made my skin smile. I think their products are really good and I would have used a lot more of them when my face was at its worst, but for the cost (they are compounded in small batches and use fresh ingredients, hence the extra expense). Despite their instructions, I used this as a moisturiser every day and night.

- the above two were amongst the first companies to use lots of skin identical ingredients. Now that more companies do so as well, itís possible to buy cheaper versions of the one above. Paulaís Choice do quite a few ceramide/ cholesterol etc containing products that sound pretty good. If you do a search for ďPaulaís Choice ceramidesĒ, theyíll all come up. Iíd recommend the Serum from Paulaís Choice Ďcalmí range. It contains ceramides but also lots of really calming ingredients. Also no silicones, which is unusual for Paulaís Choice. I donít think silicones do any harm, but theyíre not fashionable in some circles... personally I just donít like the slippery feeling they give skin care products.

Also niacinamide is a really good ingredient. It doesnít cushion the face immediately like the moisturisers do, but it helps the skin rebuild its own barrier. A good niacinamide is also very calming for the skin. And antiinflammatory. Some products that contain what I think of as badly formulated niacinamide can irritate some peopleís sensitive skin but the ones that worked well for me and didnít irritate at all are:

10% niacinamide booster - by Paulaís Choice
    10% niacinamide and zinc serum - by The Ordinary

Of those two Iíd say the first was a nicer formulation. But some rosaceans like zinc of course. The booster can be applied as a serum or can be added to a moisturiser. I do the former.

If you are really willing to splurge though.. try one of the two creams by Augustinus Bader and you will see and feel real difference in your skin within one skin cycle (a month). These creams are ex - pen - SIVE! But if youíre like me and donít really spend money on much else other then trying to fix your skin, this might be the only product you need. Read up on it and see what you think. The 30ml bottle will last you a skin cycle, so youíll know by then if itís worth the money. It was for me. You can subscribe and get one bottle free every six orders. That helps.

I use Augustinus Baderís Ďthe rich creamí with a touch of Paulaís Choice niacinamide booster underneath in the PM... and the same with a touch of PCís ĎCalmí serum in the AM.

Hope you find something that works for you.
    All the best,
    Fiona

Quote Originally Posted by Fiugs View Post
    Hi.

I would say yes.

I’m erythematotelangiectatic rosacea. My skin type is fairly normal but tends towards dryness and I think they helped me... Especially the ones that contain skin identical ingredients like ceramides and so forth. The first time I tried a cream like that it felt like my face was smiling when I put it on... I’ll never forget that feeling.

I’ve tried two moisturiser brands with skin identical ingredients that help bolster the skin barrier:

- Ceravť pm cream and Ceravť am cream (the am cream also contains an spf) and they both contain niacinamide too. Caveat - When my skin was at its worst ceravť am made my face go red and hot for the first 20 mins after application.

- Intensive Night Nurturing Complex. This is expensive and you need to order it online from Australia... but I love it. It’s the stuff that made my skin smile. I think their products are really good and I would have used a lot more of them when my face was at its worst, but for the cost (they are compounded in small batches and use fresh ingredients, hence the extra expense). Despite their instructions, I used this as a moisturiser every day and night.

- the above two were amongst the first companies to use lots of skin identical ingredients. Now that more companies do so as well, it’s possible to buy cheaper versions of the one above. Paula’s Choice do quite a few ceramide/ cholesterol etc containing products that sound pretty good. If you do a search for “Paula’s Choice ceramides”, they’ll all come up. I’d recommend the Serum from Paula’s Choice ‘calm’ range. It contains ceramides but also lots of really calming ingredients. Also no silicones, which is unusual for Paula’s Choice. I don’t think silicones do any harm, but they’re not fashionable in some circles... personally I just don’t like the slippery feeling they give skin care products.

Also niacinamide is a really good ingredient. It doesn’t cushion the face immediately like the moisturisers do, but it helps the skin rebuild its own barrier. A good niacinamide is also very calming for the skin. And antiinflammatory. Some products that contain what I think of as badly formulated niacinamide can irritate some people’s sensitive skin but the ones that worked well for me and didn’t irritate at all are:

10% niacinamide booster - by Paula’s Choice

Of those two I’d say the first was a nicer formulation. But some rosaceans like zinc of course. The booster can be applied as a serum or can be added to a moisturiser. I do the former.

If you are really willing to splurge though.. try one of the two creams by Augustinus Bader and you will see and feel real difference in your skin within one skin cycle (a month). These creams are ex - pen - SIVE! But if you’re like me and don’t really spend money on much else other then trying to fix your skin, this might be the only product you need. Read up on it and see what you think. The 30ml bottle will last you a skin cycle, so you’ll know by then if it’s worth the money. It was for me. You can subscribe and get one bottle free every six orders. That helps.

I use Augustinus Bader’s ‘the rich cream’ with a touch of Paula’s Choice niacinamide booster underneath in the PM... and the same with a touch of PC’s ‘Calm’ serum in the AM.

All the best,
    Fiona
    I’ve tried Cerave but it makes my skin red .
    I’ve had to give up work due to illness so funds are limited and what I have is going on medication.
    Lots of different face washes eye treatments.
    I’ve spent hundreds already.
    Is there any reasonable priced moisturisers barrier repair creams for Rosacea and SD?
    Any one used The Ordinary range ?
    Or first Aid Recovery ?
    Last edited by Rubydo1; 11th July 2019 at 09:06 PM.

Iíve tried Cerave but it makes my skin red .
    Iíve had to give up work due to illness so funds are limited and what I have is going on medication.
    Lots of different face washes eye treatments.
    Iíve spent hundreds already.
    Is there any reasonable priced moisturisers barrier repair creams for Rosacea and SD?
    Any one used The Ordinary range ?
    Or first Aid Recovery ?
    Now, I don't know how much I believe this, but my dermatlogist says to persist with creams, moisturizers, serums even if it initially aggrevates your skin. She said that the skin needs time to get used to the creams. I am currently using Cetaphil cleanser morning and night, and CeraVe moisturising lotion morning and night. Will update in 4 weeks to see whether it has helped my subtype 1 rosacea. I recently had my 15th Vbeam and my skin is still worse than before the treatment, but hoping this new skin regime will help in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Seb91 View Post
    Now, I don't know how much I believe this, but my dermatlogist says to persist with creams, moisturizers, serums even if it initially aggrevates your skin. She said that the skin needs time to get used to the creams. I am currently using Cetaphil cleanser morning and night, and CeraVe moisturising lotion morning and night. Will update in 4 weeks to see whether it has helped my subtype 1 rosacea. I recently had my 15th Vbeam and my skin is still worse than before the treatment, but hoping this new skin regime will help in the long term.
    Do you have rosacea and Seborrhoeic Dermatitis?
    Tried Cetaphil and dried out my skin .

Do you have rosacea and Seborrhoeic Dermatitis?
    Tried Cetaphil and dried out my skin .
    Rosacea, subtype 1. Redness and flushing.

Hi.

I would say yes.

Iím erythematotelangiectatic rosacea. My skin type is fairly normal but tends towards dryness and I think they helped me... Especially the ones that contain skin identical ingredients like ceramides and so forth. The first time I tried a cream like that it felt like my face was smiling when I put it on... Iíll never forget that feeling.

Iíve tried two moisturiser brands with skin identical ingredients that help bolster the skin barrier:

- Intensive Night Nurturing Complex. This is expensive and you need to order it online from Australia... but I love it. Itís the stuff that made my skin smile. I think their products are really good and I would have used a lot more of them when my face was at its worst, but for the cost (they are compounded in small batches and use fresh ingredients, hence the extra expense). Despite their instructions, I used this as a moisturiser every day and night.

- the above two were amongst the first companies to use lots of skin identical ingredients. Now that more companies do so as well, itís possible to buy cheaper versions of the one above. Paulaís Choice do quite a few ceramide/ cholesterol etc containing products that sound pretty good. If you do a search for ďPaulaís Choice ceramidesĒ, theyíll all come up. Iíd recommend the Serum from Paulaís Choice Ďcalmí range. It contains ceramides but also lots of really calming ingredients. Also no silicones, which is unusual for Paulaís Choice. I donít think silicones do any harm, but theyíre not fashionable in some circles... personally I just donít like the slippery feeling they give skin care products.

Also niacinamide is a really good ingredient. It doesnít cushion the face immediately like the moisturisers do, but it helps the skin rebuild its own barrier. A good niacinamide is also very calming for the skin. And antiinflammatory. Some products that contain what I think of as badly formulated niacinamide can irritate some peopleís sensitive skin but the ones that worked well for me and didnít irritate at all are:

10% niacinamide booster - by Paulaís Choice

Of those two Iíd say the first was a nicer formulation. But some rosaceans like zinc of course. The booster can be applied as a serum or can be added to a moisturiser. I do the former.

If you are really willing to splurge though.. try one of the two creams by Augustinus Bader and you will see and feel real difference in your skin within one skin cycle (a month). These creams are ex - pen - SIVE! But if youíre like me and donít really spend money on much else other then trying to fix your skin, this might be the only product you need. Read up on it and see what you think. The 30ml bottle will last you a skin cycle, so youíll know by then if itís worth the money. It was for me. You can subscribe and get one bottle free every six orders. That helps.

I use Augustinus Baderís Ďthe rich creamí with a touch of Paulaís Choice niacinamide booster underneath in the PM... and the same with a touch of PCís ĎCalmí serum in the AM.

All the best,
    Fiona
    Great post, thank you very much!😊

Anybody have some additional thoughts on this Augustin Bader cream? Or maybe you have some, Fiona? 250+ dollars for the 50ml bottle, sounds like a miracle cure

I have always wondered about this company - the website has great information but always appeared to be a little dodgy to me - so I'm happy to see that you have successfully ordered a product from them and it's worked! Have you tried any others from their line?

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch1 View Post
    I have always wondered about this company - the website has great information but always appeared to be a little dodgy to me - so I'm happy to see that you have successfully ordered a product from them and it's worked! Have you tried any others from their line?
    I agree that their website isnít the best and, apart form being too busy and confusing it does look a wee bit dodgy... but they are legit.

Iíve tried one of their sunscreens a while back it was also good and for a while it was the only sunscreen my face could tolerate. Because their stuff is costly, I stopped using the sunscreen when I was able to wear other brands as my skin barrier improved.

They also sent me a generous sample of one of their newer products the last time I ordered some of the Intensive Night Nurturing Complex. It was a niacinamide wash that was quite interesting. A high % niacinamide, about 30% if I recall corrrectly.... but itís only on the skin for a short while. I was nervous to try it, but it wasnít at all irritating.. Iím happy with my Paulaís Choice Niacinamide booster tho, so I donít feel the need to buy another brand.

The good thing about these guys is that these days they post to anywhere in the world for a reasonable price and it gets there in about a week.

I would recommend the INN Complext if youíre looking for something to calm the skin and make it feel protected.

Rubydo1... After recommending The Augustinus Bader Cream I read another post of yours elsewhere where you mentioned your financial constraints and I felt bad recommending such a costly cream to you...sorry..!

Iím not well off myself, thanks to my face issues, which have reduced my income to about £600 a month (Iím self employed). I guess for me the plus side of not being able to do much because most places carry the risk of being too warm for me is that the only thing I spend any spare money on is skin care. I can afford The Rich Cream becuase i only eat every other day. Not that Iím saying you can do this too!! It just happened to be useful for me becuase I can do with losing some weight and intermittent fasting makes sense to me, as someone who canít exercise at all as it would make me flush.

I guess what Iím saying is, I try to turn my situation to my advantage as much as I can. Sometimes it offers opportunities for that and sometimes it doesnít.

If you want to help repair your skin barrier on a budget I would say go for The Ordinaryís niacinamide and zinc serum. You might want to try their ĎMoisturising Factorsí cream too. I havenít used it, but looking at the ingredients, I think it would feel soothing and be protective.

Finally, when I read your other posts, where you talk about some of your other health challenges, I wondered if you might want to read up about Low Dose Natrexone? Youíll find the thread about it easily on this forum and thereís a lot on the internet about it... it seems to be helpful for inflammatory gut issues too, as well as all kinds of auto-immune conditions. Itís the thing thatís helped me most with my rosacea face pain.. Itís inexpensive and might help you with several of your health issues. You sound like a good candidate for it, to be honest.

Take care

Xxx