Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update: New dermatologist + new medication -- BRACEYOURSELF

Post Update: New dermatologist + new medication -- BRACEYOURSELF

I don't really ever post here much (my last thread is over a year old). The main reason is that I've lost nearly all hope that anything will even remotely help with my rosacea (and acne). Seriously, it'll be 4 years this September since I've gotten diagnosed with rosacea and not one single medication/treatment has done ANYTHING to permanently relieve symptoms and it is getting progressively worse. This negative stuff wasn't worth posting. Although now I have some neutral news/info that might be worth posting as it might come in handy to someone one day and I like to keep a record of these things - this site being the most appropriate place of course.

So I went to a new dermatologist here, who actually listens to my ideas, and she interestingly enough said that I have seborrheic dermatitis (as well as the obvious rosacea and acne). Seb Derm was never brought up by my previous dermatologist and I was with him for 3.5 years! For the record: I think she's probably right. I had long suspected that there had to be something else complicating matters, since nothing had ever proved effective and certain symptoms were different. So one bit of advice I learned is to always seek multiple opinions if possible.

With my updated diagnosis and her recommendations*, I have removed Soolantra and Effederm from my regimen. I'm only holding onto my Bioderma distilled water as my morning/night pre-wash. Effederm, despite being mildly effective at tackling neck acne, was dropped because she couldn't find it on any current database in this country. No idea why that is.

New regimen:

Metronidazol 0.6 Abitima 30.0 -- cream emulsion/compound all over face for Seb Derm and rosacea. Soolantra replacement. -- x1 morning.
    Epiduo (0.1% Adapalene with 2.5% benzoyl peroxide) -- white gel for acne, only to be spread on acne spots. Effederm replacement. -- x1 night.
    Lactacyd Derma -- Gel face wash for entire face meant to preserve natural pH of skin and protect from further irritation -- x1 morning.

Well that's about it for now. Will update when I've made some kind of preliminary conclusion (likely terrible). If you have any questions then just ask.

*My new dermatologist said I could also try probiotics and zinc supplements, but that there wasn't sufficient evidence of helping my specific condition and that it wasn't exactly her 'domain', which I understand. Might try these things in the future if current medications are not working.

Quote Originally Posted by BraceYourself View Post
    I don't really ever post here much (my last thread is over a year old). The main reason is that I've lost nearly all hope that anything will even remotely help with my rosacea (and acne). Seriously, it'll be 4 years this September since I've gotten diagnosed with rosacea and not one single medication/treatment has done ANYTHING to permanently relieve symptoms and it is getting progressively worse. This negative stuff wasn't worth posting. Although now I have some neutral news/info that might be worth posting as it might come in handy to someone one day and I like to keep a record of these things - this site being the most appropriate place of course.

So I went to a new dermatologist here, who actually listens to my ideas, and she interestingly enough said that I have seborrheic dermatitis (as well as the obvious rosacea and acne). Seb Derm was never brought up by my previous dermatologist and I was with him for 3.5 years! For the record: I think she's probably right. I had long suspected that there had to be something else complicating matters, since nothing had ever proved effective and certain symptoms were different. So one bit of advice I learned is to always seek multiple opinions if possible.

With my updated diagnosis and her recommendations*, I have removed Soolantra and Effederm from my regimen. I'm only holding onto my Bioderma distilled water as my morning/night pre-wash. Effederm, despite being mildly effective at tackling neck acne, was dropped because she couldn't find it on any current database in this country. No idea why that is.

New regimen:

Metronidazol 0.6 Abitima 30.0 -- cream emulsion/compound all over face for Seb Derm and rosacea. Soolantra replacement. -- x1 morning.
    Epiduo (0.1% Adapalene with 2.5% benzoyl peroxide) -- white gel for acne, only to be spread on acne spots. Effederm replacement. -- x1 night.
    Lactacyd Derma -- Gel face wash for entire face meant to preserve natural pH of skin and protect from further irritation -- x1 morning.

Well that's about it for now. Will update when I've made some kind of preliminary conclusion (likely terrible). If you have any questions then just ask.

*My new dermatologist said I could also try probiotics and zinc supplements, but that there wasn't sufficient evidence of helping my specific condition and that it wasn't exactly her 'domain', which I understand. Might try these things in the future if current medications are not working.
    Yeah it’s hard when you have both coz treatment for Seborrhoeic dermatitis irritates the rosacea. Having hypersensitive skin is a nightmare. Mine is all gut related. I was fine untill I had antibiotics. It’s literally killed my body and skin.
    To be honest if it wasn’t for sudocrem I’d have a lot more spots.
    I’ve been using Sebclair cream but it’s useless I think.
    This new face wash seems to help with the SD but makes my face red . Not sure that Cerave moisturiser agrees with me so still looking for a replacement that doesn’t feed the yeast. My skin likes oil of olay sensitive but I suspect the Seborrhoeic dermatitis does as well .
    Last edited by Rubydo1; 8th July 2019 at 10:31 PM.

BraceYourself,
    Be sure to come back in thirty days and post your results. After many years going to a dermatologist, my dermatologist also told me about two years ago that I have SD on my forehead and scalp as well as rosacea on the rest of my face, which is not uncommon, since you can have SD and rosacea at the same time. He gave me a number of sulphur topical samples, the best one of the assortment was Aver-e green. If you haven't read the grand daddy of all SD threads started by Tom Busby, expert extraordinaire on SD, I highly recommend it. This post on SD is also helpful. My dermatologist also gave me a Rx for Soolantra and I tried it for several months and found it wanting. While Soolantra has excellent reviews by many, not everyone responds well to it, like you and me. I think it is the 'Cetaphil base' inactive ingredients that I don't respond well too. I foresee that Galderma will be making a gel similar to the horse paste that many have said works just as well or better than Soolantra, because of the simple inactive ingredients in the horse paste. So again, please let us know in thirty days what your new regimen is doing for your SD/rosacea?
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

New regimen:
    Never heard of Metronidazol 0.6 Abitima 30.0. Is this the one?
    Is this the Epiduo you are using?
    And this is the correct Lactacyd Derma?
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    Never heard of Metronidazol 0.6 Abitima 30.0. Is this the one?
    Is this the Epiduo you are using?
    And this is the correct Lactacyd Derma?
    I have no idea what the numbers mean for the Metronidazole and Abitima compound cream. The pharmacy likely mixed 0.6 parts metronidazole to 30 parts of this Abitima cream. It's just the ratio my dermatologist chose? The pharmacy gave me the leftover container of Abitima and said I could use it straight if my skin was dry, which is weird to suggest because my skin is extremely oily on the surface. No idea what the origin of the Metronidazole is. The Abitima link you sent is a body cream and not the facial one I'm using. This is the one: https://www.shop-apotheke.com/beauty...ichtscreme.htm

The Epiduo you linked is the similar US version, which has 0.3% adapalene instead of 0.1%. https://www.pharmica.co.uk/acne/epiduo

The Lacatcyd Derma from Amazon also seems similar to the one I've been given, but the mine's a cleaning emulsion and not a bathing emulsion. It's got the French/Dutch packaging, which is common here. https://www.shop-pharmacie.fr/beaute...nettoyante.htm

I have no idea what the numbers mean for the Metronidazole and Abitima compound cream. The pharmacy likely mixed 0.6 parts metronidazole to 30 parts of this Abitima cream. It's just the ratio my dermatologist chose? The pharmacy gave me the leftover container of Abitima and said I could use it straight if my skin was dry, which is weird to suggest because my skin is extremely oily on the surface. No idea what the origin of the Metronidazole is. The Abitima link you sent is a body cream and not the facial one I'm using. This is the one: https://www.shop-apotheke.com/beauty...ichtscreme.htm

The Epiduo you linked is the similar US version, which has 0.3% adapalene instead of 0.1%. https://www.pharmica.co.uk/acne/epiduo

The Lacatcyd Derma from Amazon also seems similar to the one I've been given, but the mine's a cleaning emulsion and not a bathing emulsion. It's got the French/Dutch packaging, which is common here. https://www.shop-pharmacie.fr/beaute...nettoyante.htm
    Have you tried any oral medications? The good thing is you can easily travel to other countries for a wider range of dermatologists and approaches.

In terms of probiotics, Symprove has very good evidence to support its use, available from Amazon.

BraceYourself,
    Be sure to come back in thirty days and post your results. After many years going to a dermatologist, my dermatologist also told me about two years ago that I have SD on my forehead and scalp as well as rosacea on the rest of my face, which is not uncommon, since you can have SD and rosacea at the same time. He gave me a number of sulphur topical samples, the best one of the assortment was Aver-e green. If you haven't read the grand daddy of all SD threads started by Tom Busby, expert extraordinaire on SD, I highly recommend it. This post on SD is also helpful. My dermatologist also gave me a Rx for Soolantra and I tried it for several months and found it wanting. While Soolantra has excellent reviews by many, not everyone responds well to it, like you and me. I think it is the 'Cetaphil base' inactive ingredients that I don't respond well too. I foresee that Galderma will be making a gel similar to the horse paste that many have said works just as well or better than Soolantra, because of the simple inactive ingredients in the horse paste. So again, please let us know in thirty days what your new regimen is doing for your SD/rosacea?
    Cetaphil doesn’t agree with my skin either
    Can you buy Avar-e Green

Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    Have you tried any oral medications? The good thing is you can easily travel to other countries for a wider range of dermatologists and approaches.

In terms of probiotics, Symprove has very good evidence to support its use, available from Amazon.
    For acne yes. I used Tetralysal for a few months which proved ineffective. A year or so ago I asked my former dermatologist what his opinion was on the pill form of Metronidazole and he said that it can cause certain nerve issues in rare cases, so it was more risky supposedly than the cream version.

I checked them out, thanks. That's pretty expensive imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubydo1 View Post
    Cetaphil doesn’t agree with my skin either
    Can you buy Avar-e Green
    Avar-e Green is a prescription drug. Your dermatologist might give you some samples to try which is probably a good idea to see if it works for you. More info.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Avar-e Green is a prescription drug. Your dermatologist might give you some samples to try which is probably a good idea to see if it works for you. More info.
    I’m at the skin clinic next week. But it’s nhs so not holding out much hope x

Ahhhhhhh

If I could only find a face wash and moisturiser you can use for SD and Rosacea.

You would think more specific moisturisers would be a massive money spinner

for cosmetic companies. Aloe Vera is supposed to break down the yeast cells

so a leave on moisturiser with the right strength surely would help.

My blepharitis is really bad and I’m struggling to treat that as well .

My skin is hypersensitive and I’m sweating buckets.

All Seborrhoeic treatments are so harsh it’s impossible.
    Last edited by Rubydo1; 10th July 2019 at 04:44 PM.