Thread: Permanent chronic 'dry' skin after Accutane use

Default Permanent chronic 'dry' skin after Accutane use

Hi everyone,

Been a member of this forum for well over a decade - I pop back every now and then to see if there's some miracle cure!

In short, I am 35 and suffer from Seborrheic Dermatitis and Rosacea of the T Zone of the face. I have three main symptoms - 1. Redness, 2. Acne and 3. Chronic 'dryness'

I never had the third symptom - chronic dryness - until I went on a three month treatment of Roaccutane to treat the first two symptoms back in 2002.

Ever since then, my face has been unbearably dry. It is permanently flaky, scaly etc and nothing penetrates this layer.

I guess I am back here not really looking for solutions - as I have tried everything - but I'd love to know if anyone else has the same permanent, chronic 'dryness' since being on Accutane.

It has destroyed my life and I have accepted I have no hope of ever being able to manage it, let alone cure it, but would be good to know and who knows, maybe you have found a way round it!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by since2000 View Post
    Hi everyone,

Been a member of this forum for well over a decade - I pop back every now and then to see if there's some miracle cure!

In short, I am 35 and suffer from Seborrheic Dermatitis and Rosacea of the T Zone of the face. I have three main symptoms - 1. Redness, 2. Acne and 3. Chronic 'dryness'

I never had the third symptom - chronic dryness - until I went on a three month treatment of Roaccutane to treat the first two symptoms back in 2002.

Ever since then, my face has been unbearably dry. It is permanently flaky, scaly etc and nothing penetrates this layer.

I guess I am back here not really looking for solutions - as I have tried everything - but I'd love to know if anyone else has the same permanent, chronic 'dryness' since being on Accutane.

It has destroyed my life and I have accepted I have no hope of ever being able to manage it, let alone cure it, but would be good to know and who knows, maybe you have found a way round it!

Thanks
    Hi
    So Isotretinion cured both your redness & acne but left you with lasting dry skin just on your face and no amount of moisturiser will help at all ? what about the rest of your body is that also dry ?

Did you ask your GP to get another visit to a dermatologist to see if they can help at all

Thanks
    MD

For chronic dryness, I've found Skinceuticals Epidermal Repair Cream very helpful. It's made for very sensitive skin (e.g. following laser procedures) and relieves dryness and redness. I use it on top of Zhongzhou cream, which is very helpful for rosacea but can be drying. I've also taken accutane in the past and appreciate how drying it can be (to the skin and the lips) and believe it does impact on the quality of the epidermis hence the cream can be very helpful. Of course the fact that accutane leaves the skin layers impaired, leaves them open to demodex mite infestation, so if your skin can bear it I'd try Zhongzhou cream too.

Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    For chronic dryness, I've found Skinceuticals Epidermal Repair Cream very helpful. It's made for very sensitive skin (e.g. following laser procedures) and relieves dryness and redness. I use it on top of Zhongzhou cream, which is very helpful for rosacea but can be drying. I've also taken accutane in the past and appreciate how drying it can be (to the skin and the lips) and believe it does impact on the quality of the epidermis hence the cream can be very helpful. Of course the fact that accutane leaves the skin layers impaired, leaves them open to demodex mite infestation, so if your skin can bear it I'd try Zhongzhou cream too.
    Hi

I would imagine that Zhongzhou cream to be very drying on the skin or have I got this wrong ?

Thanks
    MD

Quote Originally Posted by mirradodga View Post
    Hi

I would imagine that Zhongzhou cream to be very drying on the skin or have I got this wrong ?

Thanks
    MD
    If the epidermis is compromised by accutane, and then by mites, then you need to control the mites (which ZZ cream is very helpful for). I suggested first of all the epidermal cream which will certainly reduce dryness and rebuild the skin barrier. However, the Zhongzhou cream gets at a potential underlying problem (mites), but if it causes too much dryness it can be put aside. I find the combination works well, but otherwise just use the epidermal cream by itself.