Thread: Is propranolol immediate release more effective than the extended release?

Default Is propranolol immediate release more effective than the extended release?

Like a lot of people on here, propranolol has helped me immensely. I recently got a new job and I'm interested in taking it everyday. I've experimented with immediate release and extended release.

Does the extended release take time to work?

I'm not saying it's been ineffective. However, I tried taking both before a weekly event I have in a warm room and I would still flush taking the extended release before. So I tried taking the immediate instead and it was more effective. I'm not sure why this would be the case or if it was psychological, but I'd be curious to hear anyone's experience and get advice. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by beherenow View Post
    Like a lot of people on here, propranolol has helped me immensely. I recently got a new job and I'm interested in taking it everyday. I've experimented with immediate release and extended release.

Does the extended release take time to work?

I'm not saying it's been ineffective. However, I tried taking both before a weekly event I have in a warm room and I would still flush taking the extended release before. So I tried taking the immediate instead and it was more effective. I'm not sure why this would be the case or if it was psychological, but I'd be curious to hear anyone's experience and get advice. Thank you!
    Peak blood levels with the ER occur at ~6 hrs after taking the pill. My experience with the ER is that it does take time to build up in the system - like 1-2wks of taking 60 mg ER daily. My doc told me that would be the equivalent of taking 20 mg immediate release 3x / day. Which some people take. The immediate release imo comes on faster + stronger after taking a pill.

I don't think there would be much difference in the end. Although with the immediate release you might have finer control of dose (ER comes in 60 mg capsules).

Thank you. Would taking the immediate release 5 days a week (not on the weekend) make sense? Or would it mess with my blood pressure on the days I don't take it?

Quote Originally Posted by beherenow View Post
    Thank you. Would taking the immediate release 5 days a week (not on the weekend) make sense? Or would it mess with my blood pressure on the days I don't take it?
    For me I would have rebound on the days I don't take it. But check w/ your doc and it may depend on the person. I currently take the IR as needed - this means about 2x / wk.

Very interesting. It makes sense that the immediate release comes on stronger and was more helpful for me in the past. I wonder if other people have reported that the extended release takes a few weeks to kick in. It seems like it should work at its maximum benefit the first day you take it? Most reports I've read on here are about instant release so I'm curious why more people aren't prescribed the ER version.
    Last edited by beherenow; 27th June 2019 at 05:34 AM.

Has anyone else experimented with the extended release and the immediate release?