Thread: Antihistamine Cream OTC

Default Antihistamine Cream OTC

Anyone tried a topical antihistamine for their Rosacea. I got stung on my arm and bought antihistamine cream (the active ingredient is 2% Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride) it cost me around 3 pounds in lloyds pharmacy, i have since seen Boots sell the same thing in their own brand. I don't know if theses are new topicals or have been around a while. Never noticed them before.
    Started using a tiny pea size amount, massaged only over my nose, once in morning and once at night. This is the third day and my flushing has drastically reduced. Biggest surprise is my skin looks stronger and not so delicate, I'm positive that is the reason i'm not reacting to triggers.
    I've searched and found lots about people using tablet forms of antihistamine here but can find nothing about topical use.

Sounds interesting, is the reduction in flushing just in the area on the nose where you applied the cream , or has flushing reduced all over your face?

(Diphenhydramine is the active ingredient in Nytol / Benadryl, I've read a few reports of it being helpful.)

Searching pubmed there is an interesting article about topical antihistamines. Diphenhydramine was one of the ones used.
    "TOPICAL ANTIHISTAMINES DISPLAY POTENT ANTI-INFLAMMATORY ACTIVITY LINKED IN PART TO ENHANCED PERMEABILITY BARRIER FUNCTION"
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3532566/

Come to think of it, I have not ever though about topical antihistamines (or even knew they were available). Searching this forum I could only find 1 match from 2008 about Benadryl cream.

Hi guys,

interesting!

I've found this reddit post where they mention Benadryl cream but it does not look promising:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rosacea/com..._any_possible/

specifically:
    I get that you don't like the idea of relying on them but they may be helpful? As long as you don't take anti-cholinergic ones like benadryl, h1 blockers do help with mast cells like flushing issues for example without major repercussions I'm pretty sure. I find quite them useful.
    @PMJohndlwdbm which brand have you tried?

Quote Originally Posted by Johndlwdbm View Post
    Anyone tried a topical antihistamine for their Rosacea. I got stung on my arm and bought antihistamine cream (the active ingredient is 2% Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride) it cost me around 3 pounds in lloyds pharmacy, i have since seen Boots sell the same thing in their own brand. I don't know if theses are new topicals or have been around a while. Never noticed them before.
    Started using a tiny pea size amount, massaged only over my nose, once in morning and once at night. This is the third day and my flushing has drastically reduced. Biggest surprise is my skin looks stronger and not so delicate, I'm positive that is the reason i'm not reacting to triggers.
    I've searched and found lots about people using tablet forms of antihistamine here but can find nothing about topical use.
    How's this been going, still working for you?