Thread: Combined regimen success (w/pictures) -- all thanks to this forum!!!

Default Combined regimen success (w/pictures) -- all thanks to this forum!!!

Hello everyone!
    I tried to post this a few days ago but mistakenly included a link, so my post never appeared. If the other post makes it through moderation, I'll delete to avoid duplicating.

I wanted to share my progress over the last several months. Thanks to this forum I was able to get my derm to prescribe the combined oral metronidazole/oral ivermectin regimen. She was skeptical, but willing after I showed her the clinical study that reported success for a large number of participants. She prescribed oral metro 500 mg/day for two weeks, combined with oral ivermectin 12 mg/week for 4 weeks. I completed the metro course today and will continue the ivermectin for two more weeks. I have had relatively few side effects from these medications other than headache and slight stomach upset.

I have had terrible Type II symptoms for nearly three years. After two weeks on these meds, I am seeing progress far beyond anything I saw with any other medication (see below for a list of the things I tried). Previously my condition got progressively worse and worse no matter what I did, including a strict elimination diet. I do have Type I and Type II, and I believe they exacerbate one another. Right now I can say my skin is about 95% improved from where it was three months ago. My skin barrier seems to be functioning as it should, which it was unable to do for years. I am almost certain that I had a severe demodex issue (given the amazing progress in two short weeks on this regimen).

Here are pictures:
    March_June_2019.jpg

Bottom left: March 10, the day I started the autoimmune protocol (or AIP--a strict elimination diet with zero sugar, alcohol, grains, legumes, seeds, nuts, eggs, or dairy). Bottom middle: May 15, two months of extreme elimination diet. Bottom right: June 2, one week on metronidazole. You can see things got worse in the first week. This was my die-off period--not any worse than my previous condition, but not fun. Top: June 9. My skin is smooth for the first time in 3 years. I still have residual redness and scarring from Type II lesions, which I hope to treat with v-beam laser over the next few years. I would love to hear from anyone who had success with v-beam or any other type of laser for persistent redness.

I am so grateful to Elaine for sharing her experience with this medication regimen in this forum. I felt hopeless for so long, and it is encouraging to see ANY results, let alone such a big improvement. I feel certain that my symptoms were caused by demodex, secondary to a compromised immune system after going through a hard few years of sleep deprivation and anxiety as a new mom.

Medications I tried before:
    Doxycycline 50 mg/day -- terrible GI side effects, very slight improvement over 5 weeks with a horrendous rebound flare when I stopped due to side effects
    Topical metronidazole -- no effect
    Topical azaleic acid -- reduced P&Ps somewhat, otherwise very little effect
    Sulfa/Sulfacetamide cleanser -- reduced P&Ps somewhat, otherwise very little effect
    Horse paste ivermectin combined with Cetaphil lotion -- I made it about 7 weeks on horse paste. During this time I had near-constant die-off, which made me look and feel awful. I plan to use topical ivermectin as part of my maintenance regimen.
    Propranolol -- Used this for flushing, and it was effective but I did experience rebound flushing and heat. I would only use this sparingly for big meetings, presentations, etc.

Supplements I take daily for emotional/gut/skin health:
    5-HTP
    Chorella
    High dose (10,000 IU) vitamin D
    Rhodiola Rosea
    L-Glutamine
    MSM
    Collagen
    Magnesium
    CBD hemp oil

I also get acupuncture regularly and have tried various herbal regimens, but I'm not currently taking any herbs. I plan to continue the autoimmune protocol with the addition of seed-based spices and cacao (yay!). I think it's a great way to eat and my gut will need the healing after this serious course of anti-biotics. As I mention above, I also plan to use the topical ivermectin after the oral course is finished. I feel that rosacea has shown me what it means to take charge of my health and well-being, as well as to focus on inner beauty. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to post on this forum. It's helped me so much in this challenging journey. Remember that you are not alone.
    Last edited by eringael; 12th June 2019 at 05:37 PM.

Default Last day of oral ivermectin -- update

Hello! For anyone interested in this treatment, here is an update. I finished the oral metronidazole last week and the side effects (headache, stomach upset) quickly subsided. My skin has continued to improve. It is smooth and clear; whereas before I had terrible bumpy skin texture, now with a light dusting of powder to even out the redness, my skin looks completely normal. Friends and family are amazed. No one could really understand why I was taking these extremely strong anti-parasitic drugs, or why it works. I do think oral metronidazole has a strong anti-inflammatory effect, but one week after finishing the drug, the inflammation & P&Ps are still 99% improved. I've had no additional die-off symptoms since the first week of the combined regimen. I'm so grateful.

One thing I did notice is that I lost significantly more hair while on this regimen from my head and my eyebrows thinned out a bit. I believe hair loss is a side effect of the ivermectin. I'm all for it as long as my skin stays smooth! I'm planning to get my hair cut shorter this summer to give it a chance to grow back in thicker.

I will update again in a month or so, as the full effects of the regimen should be visible by then. Here's hoping for continued success!

Quote Originally Posted by eringael View Post
    Hello! For anyone interested in this treatment, here is an update. I finished the oral metronidazole last week and the side effects (headache, stomach upset) quickly subsided. My skin has continued to improve. It is smooth and clear; whereas before I had terrible bumpy skin texture, now with a light dusting of powder to even out the redness, my skin looks completely normal. Friends and family are amazed. No one could really understand why I was taking these extremely strong anti-parasitic drugs, or why it works. I do think oral metronidazole has a strong anti-inflammatory effect, but one week after finishing the drug, the inflammation & P&Ps are still 99% improved. I've had no additional die-off symptoms since the first week of the combined regimen. I'm so grateful.

One thing I did notice is that I lost significantly more hair while on this regimen from my head and my eyebrows thinned out a bit. I believe hair loss is a side effect of the ivermectin. I'm all for it as long as my skin stays smooth! I'm planning to get my hair cut shorter this summer to give it a chance to grow back in thicker.

I will update again in a month or so, as the full effects of the regimen should be visible by then. Here's hoping for continued success!
    In a word: AWESOME!!!!!

Everybody reacts differently to drugs. I my case I didn't have any noticeable hair loss during treatment.
    Please do post an update. I'm cheering for your continued success!