Thread: Oral treatment

Default Oral treatment

Is there a oral treatment for rosacea that doesnít involve antibiotics?

Quote Originally Posted by Rubydo1 View Post
    Is there a oral treatment for rosacea that doesnít involve antibiotics?
    Rosacea can be caused by a lot of different things. Treatment for rosacea will vary depending on what is causing it.
    What kind of rosacea do you have? Have you been tested for demodex skin mites or fungal / seborrheic dermatitis?

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineA View Post
    Rosacea can be caused by a lot of different things. Treatment for rosacea will vary depending on what is causing it.
    What kind of rosacea do you have? Have you been tested for demodex skin mites or fungal / seborrheic dermatitis?
    I was fine untill last year I turned 47 started with blepharitis. Started getting numbness in nose .
    Blepharitis heat made things worse I got a stye got given antibiotics and I got gastris got given more antibiotics for a lump on the nose that didnít work. Then some more for a water infection I didnít have 🙄
    Stomach in a mess so is bowels now got Seb Derm on forehead. Having to wash in aqueous cream as even my hands have rejected any soap . Facial flushing and chin is burning. Iím using cereve hydrating wash as only think skin tolerates that Iíve found so far but think itís making sub derm worse treatment for Sub derm is all harsh so how the hell im going to treat it . Iím using none steroid sub dermcream at the moment but doesnít seem ro be doing much .
    Iím seeing a local derm doc next week same one that gave me antibiotics for lump on nose so not holding out much hope . Body is reacting to everything. Been told bleph might be demodex but 🤷🏼*♀️🤷🏼*♀️
    I know sheís gonna suggest antibiotics and harsh fungal steroid cream but my skin is even reacting to water. Even my finger ends are split . Itís all gut related and I have a tremor aswell now .
    Donít think my body can survive more antibiotics x

I was fine untill last year I turned 47 started with blepharitis. Started getting numbness in nose .
    Blepharitis heat made things worse I got a stye got given antibiotics and I got gastris got given more antibiotics for a lump on the nose that didnít work. Then some more for a water infection I didnít have 🙄
    Stomach in a mess so is bowels now got Seb Derm on forehead. Having to wash in aqueous cream as even my hands have rejected any soap . Facial flushing and chin is burning. Iím using cereve hydrating wash as only think skin tolerates that Iíve found so far but think itís making sub derm worse treatment for Sub derm is all harsh so how the hell im going to treat it . Iím using none steroid sub dermcream at the moment but doesnít seem ro be doing much .
    Iím seeing a local derm doc next week same one that gave me antibiotics for lump on nose so not holding out much hope . Body is reacting to everything. Been told bleph might be demodex but 🤷🏼*♀️🤷🏼*♀️
    I know sheís gonna suggest antibiotics and harsh fungal steroid cream but my skin is even reacting to water. Even my finger ends are split . Itís all gut related and I have a tremor aswell now .
    Donít think my body can survive more antibiotics x
    Demodex skin mites can be treated on the skin with topical ointments containing Ivermectin (Soolantra or Rosiver, etc). Ivermectin is not an antibiotic, it kills mites like demodex and scabies. Serious demodex infestations can be treated with oral Ivermectin alone OR with the 2 drug combined oral treatment using oral Ivermectin and oral Metronidazole. Metronidazole is classed as an antibiotic but it also kills parasites.

Have you seen an opthalmologist for the blepharitis? They can clean the eyelid margins with topical tea tree oil and other treatments that don't involve antibiotics. The lid scrubs can take multiple treatments for several weeks. Oral Ivermectin could knock it out more quickly if its serious enough.

Has your doctor recommended taking Probiotics (bacteria not an antibiotic) to help get the gut issues straightened out? Probiotics put gut healthy bacteria back in your intestines that the antibiotics may have killed off leaving your gut in a mess.

Antibiotics would not help with seb derm since its fungal not bacterial in origin.

Take a look at Tom Busby's posts on Seb Derm treatment. He has done some thorough studies on Seb Derm.
    You can find his main post on this forum here: https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea...for-Malassezia

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineA View Post
    Demodex skin mites can be treated on the skin with topical ointments containing Ivermectin (Soolantra or Rosiver, etc). Ivermectin is not an antibiotic, it kills mites like demodex and scabies. Serious demodex infestations can be treated with oral Ivermectin alone OR with the 2 drug combined oral treatment using oral Ivermectin and oral Metronidazole. Metronidazole is classed as an antibiotic but it also kills parasites.

Have you seen an opthalmologist for the blepharitis? They can clean the eyelid margins with topical tea tree oil and other treatments that don't involve antibiotics. The lid scrubs can take multiple treatments for several weeks. Oral Ivermectin could knock it out more quickly if its serious enough.

Has your doctor recommended taking Probiotics (bacteria not an antibiotic) to help get the gut issues straightened out? Probiotics put gut healthy bacteria back in your intestines that the antibiotics may have killed off leaving your gut in a mess.

Antibiotics would not help with seb derm since its fungal not bacterial in origin.

Take a look at Tom Busby's posts on Seb Derm treatment. He has done some thorough studies on Seb Derm.
    You can find his main post on this forum here: https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea...for-Malassezia
    Been treating bleph with tea tree wipes but started to disagree with my eyes so just using distilled water at the moment x

What’s a good probiotic to take ?
    I took this and got terrible Green diarrhoea.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adult-Formu...ateway&sr=8-36
    Last edited by Rubydo1; 10th June 2019 at 06:44 PM.

Been treating bleph with tea tree wipes but started to disagree with my eyes so just using distilled water at the moment x

Whatís a good probiotic to take ?
    Garden of Life Probiotics are good. They have a special one for Women and a different one for Men. 16 strains of bacteria for the best gut bacteria balance.
    I've never had any side effects from taking this. You might need something different based on the issues that all those antibiotics seem to have caused.

https://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-F...8-1-spons&th=1

Its available in the USA but I don't know if it is available outside the US.

Whatís a good probiotic to take ?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adult-Formu...ateway&sr=8-36
    Symprove is a good quality probiotic you can take in the UK with the best evidence to support that it works in an academic study. If you only treat your eyes with tea tree wipes, there is a risk the mites will move to other parts of the face like the nose, cheeks, ears and scalp, so this could lead to flushing, redness and/or spots in those areas. I would use zhongzhou cream across the whole face and a tea tree oil shampoo for that. Symprove will work a lot better if you make other dietary changes as well such as reducing carbohydrates (in particular no wheat or rice and little sugar).

Is there a oral treatment for rosacea that doesn’t involve antibiotics?
    Aa ElaineA points out, depends on what 'rosacea' you are treating?

Oral Ivermectin for Rosacea

Probiotics

Niacinamide

Retinoids (low dose has become quite popular)

Anti-Flushing Drugs

Low Dose Naltrexone

Amytriptyline

Acyclovir

Prednisone (not a long term solution)

Spironolactone

Plaquenil (Hydroxychloroquine)

The list just keeps growing....
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

[QUOTE=Brady Barrows;349732]Aa ElaineA points out, depends on what 'rosacea' you are treating?

Oral Ivermectin for Rosacea

Probiotics

Niacinamide

Retinoids (low dose has become quite popular)

Anti-Flushing Drugs

Low Dose Naltrexone

Amytriptyline

Acyclovir

Prednisone (not a long term solution)

Spironolactone

Plaquenil (Hydroxychloroquine)

The list just keeps growing....[/QUOTE

Retinoids is that good for Seborrhoeic Dermatitis aswell ?
    Anyone tried it . Only my skin is to sensitive for normal Seborrhoeic Dermatitis treatment.

Retinoids is that good for Seborrhoeic Dermatitis aswell ?
    Anyone tried it . Only my skin is to sensitive for normal Seborrhoeic Dermatitis treatment.
    You should read this thread and direct your question to Tom Busby, expert extraordinaire on SD. I did do a cursory read on this post and don't recall seeing retinoids for SD as a treatment option.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi