Thread: Random flareup from steak alleviated with propranolol?

Default Random flareup from steak alleviated with propranolol?

I had a random flareup after eating steak, which is unusual, but it's not something I eat often. I do tend to eat hamburgers every so often w/out any problems, so this was strange. I can't think of any other factors aside from the steak since I'm not in a warm room or stressed out, i.e. it was a flareup rather than flushing.

In any case, I took propranolol and it went away in 20-30 minutes. Is that possible? It doesn't make sense to me since propranolol is generally related to stress / anxiety flushing. I also drank celery juice and a lot of water but I honestly think it was the propranolol..
    Last edited by beherenow; 31st May 2019 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beherenow View Post
    I had a random flareup after eating steak, which is unusual, but it's not something I eat often. I do tend to eat hamburgers every so often w/out any problems, so this was strange. I can't think of any other factors aside from the steak since I'm not in a warm room or stressed out, i.e. it was a flareup rather than flushing.

In any case, I took propranolol and it went away in 20-30 minutes. Is that possible? It doesn't make sense to me since propranolol is generally related to stress / anxiety flushing. I also drank celery juice and a lot of water but I honestly think it was the propranolol..
    I have neurogenic rosacea and take clonidine, propranolol and now LDN ( low dose naltrexone ) I think at least for me that the propranolol helps only my emotional flushing. It never helps the heat sensitivity ever. Having said that maybe this reaction would have subsided in 20 min without the propranolol. It could have been a coincidence. What do you think?

Angela

My experience in taking a dose of propranolol (eg 20 mg) or any similar (peripheral) vasoconstrictor (imitrex, excedrin, clonidine) during a bad flush caused by any reason - is that it *will* help to clamp things down.

However taking propranolol or clonidine daily or on a regular basis - I think it can be helpful for people but not for everyone. I am an extreme flusher/burner and taking propranolol/clonidine daily only helped me to be more pale in between my flushing/burning episodes! I take propranolol as needed and find it works best that way for me personally (eg before social events).
    Last edited by laser_cat; 5th June 2019 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beherenow View Post

beherenow, glad the propranolol helped your flareup.

It is important to eliminate what actual food is triggering your flareup, as well as defining the flareup, whether you mean a rosacea flareup or a flushing flareup, since flareup means different things to Rosaceans. For example, while you mention celery juice and a lot of water, understanding what an elimination diet is all about will help, since not everyone agrees what an elimination diet is. For example, there are a number of lists proposed what food/drink triggers rosacea, the most known list is the NRS list. Steak/hambuger is not on the list, and you would be hard pressed to find any rosacea trigger list or anecdotal report with steak/hamburger mentioned, but I urge you to find some to substantiate your suggestion. However, LIVER is at the top of the the NRS list.

Trigger factors that are listed are all anecdotal or taken from patient histories and therefore possibly helpful, but extremely subjective. There has never been one rosacea diet trigger factor that produces a rosacea flareup in every rosacean, not one. Any proposed rosacea diet trigger is just that, a proposed factor. It may be helpful to others to read about such diet triggers to see if avoiding 'steak/hamburger' or whatever improves their rosacea flareups or it may not. For example, on the NRS list rosaceans have reported that Liver, Yogurt, Sour Cream, Cheese, Eggplant, and Spinach are "Factors That May Trigger Rosacea Flare-Ups", however, you will be hard pressed to find any clinical study indicating scientific proof, and the key word is MAY.

Another factor to consider is that rosacea diet triggers may be cumulative over a certain number of days. You have to consider what you have been eating/drinking cumulatively over the last three to five days. For example, let's say you have been eating/drinking fruit smoothies as well as celery juice over the past three to five days and have accumulated a huge amount of fructose (which is converted to glucose) in your blood. Fructose, as well as any other sugar is also a rosacea diet trigger proposed by the RRDi which the NRS totally ignores. So there is a lot to consider in determining what is actually triggering your flareup when it comes to rosacea diet triggers. Drugs, and as you mentioned the environment, stress, and a lot other factors are proposed to be rosacea trigger factors.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi