Thread: Optimal face-washing frequency

Default Optimal face-washing frequency

I posted in a couple of older threads recently (on the topic of 'Pityriasis Folliculorum') about my return to active face-washing, after not using any cleansing products and only rinsing with water for several years.

Most advice I've read on face-washing (admittedly much of which is from either a 'mainstream', or an acne angle) seems to suggest that you should do it twice per day, with water and cleanser/soap/whatever. I knew however from previous experience that twice a day was likely to be too much for me, and would quickly lead to increased facial oiliness. When I made the decision to return to washing with soap and water, I therefore decided to opt for only once per day, at night.

This seems to have brought me confusingly-mixed results. The 'background' appearance of my skin seems much improved: it's cleaner, looks healthier, feels better, and has a better texture. The P&P's I get also seem to be occurring closer to the surface of my skin than was previously the case - surely a positive sign? Stubbornly however, those P&P's have reduced in number only little, if at all.

Worse still has been that after around two months of daily washing, the oiliness of my face is again now starting to become excessive. This is a little strange, as the washing hasn't caused noticably increased dryness - if anything, it's actually improved my skin in that way (though as stated in the PF threads, perhaps this wasn't actually 'dryness' at all). However, the sheen of excess oil is making my face look awful, and I therefore feel I'm going to have to dial back the washing frequency. I'll try taking it down to every other night, and see how I get on with that.

Clearly, it's a delicate balance. A couple of weeks ago I really thought that something as simple as washing my face again was actually going to be a game-changer for me, but now it's starting to exact a toll. Does anybody have experience of similar issues? How did you find the correct balance for yourself?
    Last edited by davem81; 27th May 2019 at 08:37 PM.

I think about the same things!

I can only have one shower a day, as the hot water strips so much moisture from my skin.

I think the best way to think about it is that your face washing frequency is only one factor when considering your skin moisture -- you also have to think about your hydration, the weather, temperature, any underlying inflammation that may be aggravating your sebaceous glands, any products you are putting on the skin etc etc. I think the best approach is just to keep track of your skin and wash accordingly.

Ahhh hot showers.. how much I took them for granted only just 4 years ago. Well taking everything for granted really, like being able to walk outside on a hot day or just getting into a hot car and not thinking about it. My skin was perfect for 27.5 years, and I never as much thought about washing my face. I still don't have a skin care routine now with type1/2 rosacea and seb derm at age 31. My skin is worse than it's ever been.
    Last edited by aafdup; 30th May 2019 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aafdup View Post
    Ahhh hot showers.. how much I took them for granted only just 4 years ago. Well taking everything for granted really, like being able to walk outside on a hot day or just getting into a hot car and not thinking about it. My skin was perfect for 27.5 years, and I never as much thought about washing my face. I still don't have a skin care routine now with type1/2 rosacea and seb derm at age 31. My skin is worse than it's ever been.
    Amen! Used to love my hot showers.

The thing I miss most is quickly doing exercise, rushing home and jumping in the shower, and then straight out with friends... Would never dream of doing that combo any more!!

Default Face washing

I thought I had dry skin, so always avoided washing my face and I think all my life I never used soap, only cleansers for sensitive skin. Most of my life I had only type 1 rosacea and didn't need foundation make up. In my 30s I started wearing make up, and washing it off just once a day with a sensitive cream cleanser. That seemed to work fine. Now I've got 1 +2, and I'm wondering also if I should change frequency or type of washing. I also go to the gym a lot these days. I have just been washing the sweat off with shower water only (just like I did in my 20s with no extra problems) and I thought that was fine but now I've got P&P and patchy redness I'm trying to wash with the cream cleanser twice, once in the morning, once at night. It feels like too much though. My skin has always been the type that feels tight if washed. I always worked on the premise that I don't want to upset my own skin barrier and microbiome, and I think that's been a good idea. Then I look at these people with clear skin who no doubt wash with any old soap everyday and wonder if it's me that's got it wrong! But I guess if it was as simple as that we all wouldn't be here. It's got to be such a fine balance, hey, of removing dirt and Demodex food, to not upsetting the biome. I think I'll try the twice a day with cream cleanser (no soap) for a short while and see if it helps.
    Last edited by Jane-Natalee; 10th June 2019 at 12:03 AM.