Thread: Flushing from heat

Default Flushing from heat

I have read lots of things on here about people looking for help with flushing from warmth or heat. This is one of my major triggers. Has anyone really successfully dealt with this? I see ideas/suggestions in other threads, but not really success stories (maybe Iím just missing them!).

If I can stay cool, my baseline redness is pretty good. But the minute I go out in the heat, or into a warmer room, I go red- sometimes VERY red. I just donít get why the medications Iím using for flushing only work to ramp down things in ideal situations, but the moment I get warm, anxious, eat almost anything other than like three foods :P, then Iím red again.

My current regimen for flushing: Clonidine 2 mg patch, mirtazapine 15 mg, and klonopin (up to 2 mg/day).

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    I have read lots of things on here about people looking for help with flushing from warmth or heat. This is one of my major triggers. Has anyone really successfully dealt with this? I see ideas/suggestions in other threads, but not really success stories (maybe I’m just missing them!).

If I can stay cool, my baseline redness is pretty good. But the minute I go out in the heat, or into a warmer room, I go red- sometimes VERY red. I just don’t get why the medications I’m using for flushing only work to ramp down things in ideal situations, but the moment I get warm, anxious, eat almost anything other than like three foods :P, then I’m red again.

My current regimen for flushing: Clonidine 2 mg patch, mirtazapine 15 mg, and klonopin (up to 2 mg/day).
    It has been shown that demodex mites thrive in what may be described as a hot environment - e.g. about 26C, especially above 30C. So addressing demodex mites e.g. with Zhongzhou cream may be helpful - that does not eliminate flushing but it can reduce some of the uncomfortableness of hot flushing (e.g. itching etc associated with it). Soolantra cream is another way to avoid this. Reducing the number of demodex mites on the skin will also increase the skin barrier integrity - the better the skin barrier the less the flushing, and the quicker the flush will go away again.

Another way to help when you have a flush is to use a little spray bottle of filtered water or colloidal silver water or some other non-tap water. This can reduce the length and severity of flushing and give you comfort:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Higher-Natu...ateway&sr=8-10

I've also found hydroxyhloroquine better than mirtazapine for flushing, so that is another option to consider in terms of medicines. Also avoiding extremes of hot and cold will reduce heat related flushing. For example, if you can cover up your ears on a cold day they will flush less when you go inside into a warm room. Similarly a sun hat can help if you can cover affected areas on a warm day from the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    It has been shown that demodex mites thrive in what may be described as a hot environment - e.g. about 26C, especially above 30C. So addressing demodex mites e.g. with Zhongzhou cream may be helpful - that does not eliminate flushing but it can reduce some of the uncomfortableness of hot flushing (e.g. itching etc associated with it). Soolantra cream is another way to avoid this. Reducing the number of demodex mites on the skin will also increase the skin barrier integrity - the better the skin barrier the less the flushing, and the quicker the flush will go away again.

Another way to help when you have a flush is to use a little spray bottle of filtered water or colloidal silver water or some other non-tap water. This can reduce the length and severity of flushing and give you comfort:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Higher-Natu...ateway&sr=8-10

I've also found hydroxyhloroquine better than mirtazapine for flushing, so that is another option to consider in terms of medicines. Also avoiding extremes of hot and cold will reduce heat related flushing. For example, if you can cover up your ears on a cold day they will flush less when you go inside into a warm room. Similarly a sun hat can help if you can cover affected areas on a warm day from the sun.
    Thanks! I do also use Soolantra for the Type 2, so I hopefully have the first point more or less under control. And I do cover my face with a scarf or something when itís cold and a hat if I will be out long in the heat and I drink cold water. But itís just the act of my getting hot that makes me have crazy flushes. Cold wind bothers me, but the cold itself isnít usually too bad of a problem.

I guess Iím trying to figure out something that works to blunt the response vs retroactively try to make it go away, if that makes sense. I thought clonidine, mirtazapine, and/Or klonopin would do it, but they seem to have basically no effect on my major triggers- they just keep me at baseline more when not exposed to those triggers and maybe help some with the more minor triggers.

I thought about increasing the mirtazapine to see if that might help at all.