Thread: Will azelaic acid help Mirvaso-induced redness? Plus a turmeric face mask & a rant

Lightbulb Will azelaic acid help Mirvaso-induced redness? Plus a turmeric face mask & a rant

Will azelaic acid help Mirvaso-induced redness? Plus: a turmeric honey face mask & a rant about a GP

Yesterday I filmed this video. I had visited a GP to ask about obtaining a prescription for 15% azelaic acid (marketed as Finacea) to treat forehead acne and background redness. I was met with scepticism and hostility. I ended up coming away with a much stronger prescription and instructions that I suspect will lead to unnecessary irritation when the skin instead needs to build a tolerance to the AA.

Meanwhile, I have turmeric and manuka honey slathered all over my face, to reduce inflammation and moisturise the skin following my Mirvaso Disaster of 2017.

To this day, I still have permanent pink patches on the areas of my face where Mirvaso had been applied. Those pink areas can turn scarlet in warm rooms or if I'm out in the cold. Food-related flushes also show up much worse on the Mirvaso areas.

I want azelaic acid to see if I can treat these red areas over a period of time. My forehead actually has acne and is slightly red, so the AA would be good for this - hopefully!

If all goes well I would introduce a week formulation to the areas of my face that were affected by the Mirvaso gel.

I visited several pharmacies looking for the AA but found there was actually a shortage of the 20% azelaic acid (marketed as Skinoren) and I've therefore decided to purchase a 10% over the counter formula by a skincare brand called The Ordinary. Dr Sam Bunting (Harley Street dermatologist) highly recommends azelaic acid and advises a slow and steady approach over a period spanning several skin cycles... so a good three months.

The GP I visted rather pissed me off with her attitude. As time is short, and there's always a lot to cover, I spoke quickly and provided solid details on what has and has not worked for my skin. She did not like this AT all and became extremely hostile. She accused me of being aggressive and rude to her and said I need to stop what I was saying immediately.

I've never before known any doctor to behave like this and it was a real shock.

Since time was of the essence (and I've clearly had my time wasted by previous doctors) I was doing my best to make the consultation as productive as possible as I didn't want to have endless follow ups due to misunderstandings or incorrect medication prescriptions.

If I'd known she was such a delicate flower I might have been much more fake, friendly and smiley, but 10 minutes is not enough for all this and whatever conversation needs to be had about the problem I'm trying to treat. I will not be seeing her ever again and thinking about her attitude even now makes me even more determined to believe that certain doctors need to seriously drop the ego.

Perhaps I have false pride, and if that's true.. then.. guilty! At least I know who I am and certainly don't believe I know everything.
    I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.

• Read about my PDL and IPL, with videos.

Quote Originally Posted by darren1 View Post
    Will azelaic acid help Mirvaso-induced redness? Plus: a turmeric honey face mask & a rant about a GP

Yesterday I filmed this video. I had visited a GP to ask about obtaining a prescription for 15% azelaic acid (marketed as Finacea) to treat forehead acne and background redness. I was met with scepticism and hostility. I ended up coming away with a much stronger prescription and instructions that I suspect will lead to unnecessary irritation when the skin instead needs to build a tolerance to the AA.

Meanwhile, I have turmeric and manuka honey slathered all over my face, to reduce inflammation and moisturise the skin following my Mirvaso Disaster of 2017.

To this day, I still have permanent pink patches on the areas of my face where Mirvaso had been applied. Those pink areas can turn scarlet in warm rooms or if I'm out in the cold. Food-related flushes also show up much worse on the Mirvaso areas.

I want azelaic acid to see if I can treat these red areas over a period of time. My forehead actually has acne and is slightly red, so the AA would be good for this - hopefully!

If all goes well I would introduce a week formulation to the areas of my face that were affected by the Mirvaso gel.

I visited several pharmacies looking for the AA but found there was actually a shortage of the 20% azelaic acid (marketed as Skinoren) and I've therefore decided to purchase a 10% over the counter formula by a skincare brand called The Ordinary. Dr Sam Bunting (Harley Street dermatologist) highly recommends azelaic acid and advises a slow and steady approach over a period spanning several skin cycles... so a good three months.

The GP I visted rather pissed me off with her attitude. As time is short, and there's always a lot to cover, I spoke quickly and provided solid details on what has and has not worked for my skin. She did not like this AT all and became extremely hostile. She accused me of being aggressive and rude to her and said I need to stop what I was saying immediately.

I've never before known any doctor to behave like this and it was a real shock.

Since time was of the essence (and I've clearly had my time wasted by previous doctors) I was doing my best to make the consultation as productive as possible as I didn't want to have endless follow ups due to misunderstandings or incorrect medication prescriptions.

If I'd known she was such a delicate flower I might have been much more fake, friendly and smiley, but 10 minutes is not enough for all this and whatever conversation needs to be had about the problem I'm trying to treat. I will not be seeing her ever again and thinking about her attitude even now makes me even more determined to believe that certain doctors need to seriously drop the ego.

Perhaps I have false pride, and if that's true.. then.. guilty! At least I know who I am and certainly don't believe I know everything.
    From my experience, and from what I've read of others, the 10% a acid is by far the best for most people with rosacea. If you want to get hold of this through a relatively cheap private consultation, try online The GP Service, which costs 32.50 including a prescription. You can have the prescription sent to a nearby pharmacy and pick it up in an hour, and it normally only takes 20 minutes to get an appointment online even on Saturday or Sunday. They are customer friendly and have good Trustpilot reviews which reflect how I found them. I also think the Ordinary version is very good value and works ok as well (depending how sensitive your skin is). Have you tried Soolantra and Zhongzhou cream - these were both more successful for me than az acid.

I think some GPs tell everyone their skin condition is "not that bad" pretty much. That suggests to me that they don't really understand how to manage rosacea well, because if you are already receiving some treatment and taking positive steps then your skin condition should not look "really bad".
    Last edited by antwantsclear; 18th May 2019 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    From my experience, and from what I've read of others, the 10% a acid is by far the best for most people with rosacea. If you want to get hold of this through a relatively cheap private consultation, try online The GP Service, which costs 32.50 including a prescription. You can have the prescription sent to a nearby pharmacy and pick it up in an hour, and it normally only takes 20 minutes to get an appointment online even on Saturday or Sunday. They are customer friendly and have good Trustpilot reviews which reflect how I found them. I also think the Ordinary version is very good value and works ok as well (depending how sensitive your skin is). Have you tried Soolantra and Zhongzhou cream - these were both more successful for me than az acid.

I think some GPs tell everyone their skin condition is "not that bad" pretty much. That suggests to me that they don't really understand how to manage rosacea well, because if you are already receiving some treatment and taking positive steps then your skin condition should not look "really bad".
    Soolantra - manufactured by Galderma. The word "Galderma" frightens me but I'll keep an open mind. Of course, I'd need to convince a derm to presrcibe it. How did you start off with Soolantra? Did you build a tolerance to it over time?

I'm going to try The Ordinary Azelaic Acid on my forehead to start with. Then I'll introduce the 20% version on prescription gradually.
    I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.

If your skin has already been damaged by Mirvaso, be very careful about applying other aggressive treatments without testing a small area first.

Quote Originally Posted by johnabetts View Post
    If your skin has already been damaged by Mirvaso, be very careful about applying other aggressive treatments without testing a small area first.
    Indeed! Oh yes! I'll be using AA on my forehead first at 10%, but that should be fine as Mirvaso was never used there anyway. I'll ramp up to 20% on the forehead to deal with the acne and background redness.

If and when I introduce AA to the cheeks and nose, it'll be the 10%, buffered with my alcohol-free moisteriser and on one particular area - my jaw on one side of the face, where there's a patch of blotchy red skin that won't go away, and fluctuates in colour.

Caution is most appropriate here. I've had my fingers burned AND my face! But I'l ltell you something, I WILL find the solution to all this. I'll be damned if I'm going to give up and roll over. I will not be pushed around by GPs and derms who either do not give a **** or who simply cannot help.

I went through a fairly unproductive GP appt just yesterday (though I've experienced much worse in the past), and can very much empathise with what you went through. It's really quite absurd that, on top of the problems that we're already dealing with, figuring out the best way of 'dealing' with doctors should be added to our list. My personal experience has been that many (not all, but of course it's difficult to know beforehand) resent you displaying any knowledge of your condition or it's treatment at all.

Best of luck to you.