Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My skin is so f'ed

Default My skin is so f'ed

Sometimes it seems like it's almost type 2 rosacea, other times it seems like clearly widespread seb derm. I have no idea what to do... I've tried lotrimin ultra, 1.87% ivermectin, metrogel, 2% and 1% ketoconazole, minocycline. Ever since April 2015... it's just getting worse. What can I do? I am going back to the derm on May 28 which I already know will be a complete waste of time. I almost called out of work today, and I don't plan to leave my office all day.
    Last edited by aafdup; 15th May 2019 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aafdup View Post
    Sometimes it seems like it's almost type 2 rosacea, other times it seems like clearly widespread seb derm. I have no idea what to do... I've tried lotrimin ultra, 1.87% ivermectin, metrogel, 2% and 1% ketoconazole, minocycline. Ever since April 2015... it's just getting worse. What can I do? I am going back to the derm on May 28 which I already know will be a complete waste of time. I almost called out of work today, and I don't plan to leave my office all day.
    hi ,i feel for you, you are not alone . if you need a rosacea buddy im here every day , faithfully

I'm 31 and male.. my older brother, dad, and mom have none of these issues. In fact no one in my family does. It's ruined my life for the past few years with no signs of stopping.

[QUOTE=aafdup;349217]I'm 31 and male.. my older brother, dad, and mom have none of these issues. In fact no one in my family does. It's ruined my life for the past few years with no signs of stopping.

yup , im the same , no one in my family has it and im 25 , haha . with rosacea and sd ,diagnosed just recently.. hahaha dear lord
    but i feel there should be a solution for each one of us , f uck sake , has to be
    Last edited by feckes94; 15th May 2019 at 02:28 PM.

If you have what appears to be papulo-pustular rosacea my supposition is that it's demodex-related. Demodicosis might appear like acne rosacea and at other times might appear more like seborrheic dermatitis.

You mentioned you tried ivermectin, but you don't say for how long. Treatment for a demodex condition requires 4-6 months at the bare minimum (and more realistically up to a year, from many accounts) of regular treatment, nightly or every other night.

As far as I can gather, people seem to generally have more success with Zhongzhou Cream than topical ivermectin (in the form of Soolantra). If you feel you've exhausted your options, it would be worth taking the time to thoroughly research demodex, the two species (d. folliculorum and d. brevis), their life cycles, symptoms of demodicosis, and how to treat it.

The main reason why I suspect demodex is because a fungal issue like Malassezia dermatitis doesn't involve papules and pustules, whereas demodex can certainly cause what looks like acne rosacea or acne vulgaris, because their proliferation and waste inside the pores can clog them and cause inflammation.

Quote Originally Posted by sejon View Post
    If you have what appears to be papulo-pustular rosacea my supposition is that it's demodex-related. Demodicosis might appear like acne rosacea and at other times might appear more like seborrheic dermatitis.

You mentioned you tried ivermectin, but you don't say for how long. Treatment for a demodex condition requires 4-6 months at the bare minimum (and more realistically up to a year, from many accounts) of regular treatment, nightly or every other night.

As far as I can gather, people seem to generally have more success with Zhongzhou Cream than topical ivermectin (in the form of Soolantra). If you feel you've exhausted your options, it would be worth taking the time to thoroughly research demodex, the two species (d. folliculorum and d. brevis), their life cycles, symptoms of demodicosis, and how to treat it.

The main reason why I suspect demodex is because a fungal issue like Malassezia dermatitis doesn't involve papules and pustules, whereas demodex can certainly cause what looks like acne rosacea or acne vulgaris, because their proliferation and waste inside the pores can clog them and cause inflammation.

Can one have both , demodicosis and mallesezia issue at the same time?

It's quite possible, and even likely, that there could be some overlap of conditions, but it's more useful to treat one potential cause at a time, and give it a sufficient treatment time. Treating for demodex just for a few weeks, giving up, then treating for Malassezia for a few weeks, and giving up, leads you back to square one because you haven't allowed a long enough treatment time to confidently rule either one out. I'd suggest treating for demodex, ideally with something like the Zhongzhou cream that has a proven track record of efficacy, for at least 6 months, every night. If it's demodex-related, you should see improvement long before the 6-month timeframe, but continued treatment is strongly advised due to the chance of re-infestation.

I don't think I have demodicosis, but I do think I have a malassezia proliferation and a terrible bodily immune response to it; i.e., seborrheic dermatitis. My nose is caked in dried flakes of skin that I can pick off. When it's particularly inflamed/flaring, picking off the flakes (which can be very large if I peel slowly) leaves behind even redder more irritated skin that often weeps with the build up of oil that can last 2-3 hours. Sometimes I am blotting off blood. I have to continuously blot it. It's so much oil, and my pores have become so much larger on my nose and cheeks in the past four years of dealing with this. It started as seb derm in April 2015, then in July 2015 I got more symptoms of what I figured to be type 1 rosacea.

Even the underneath portion of my nose between my nostrils is flaky and I have to pick at it, and I have often had the flakes inside my nostrils. When I do pick them off, it's like I am uncovering all of the huge pores underneath. When it's caked on, you can't see the pores at all.

Perfect skin the first 27.5 years of my life, and since then - total ****. No one else I have ever personally known in life has had to deal with this, and no one in my family. The reason I also know I have type 1 rosacea is because if I just get into a hot car, my ears and face go basically violently pink to red. Ears can sometimes even have a purplish hue. I live in South Carolina so even now in May I am getting into a car that is 90+ degrees before getting AC on. In July, it'll be closer to 110-115 degrees F in my car. It's terrible.... but not even winter is respite for me anymore.

Is it possible to have some minor P&P with type 1 rosacea? Because I have never had anything that looked close to most of the google images of type 2 rosacea. But it's also often not just a complete smooth sunburn looking appearance of type 1.
    Last edited by aafdup; 17th May 2019 at 06:29 PM.

I don't think I have demodicosis, but I do think I have a malassezia proliferation and a terrible bodily immune response to it; i.e., seborrheic dermatitis. My nose is caked in dried flakes of skin that I can pick off. When it's particularly inflamed/flaring, picking off the flakes (which can be very large if I peel slowly) leaves behind even redder more irritated skin that often weeps with the build up of oil that can last 2-3 hours. Sometimes I am blotting off blood. I have to continuously blot it. It's so much oil, and my pores have become so much larger on my nose and cheeks in the past four years of dealing with this. It started as seb derm in April 2015, then in July 2015 I got more symptoms of what I figured to be type 1 rosacea.

Even the underneath portion of my nose between my nostrils is flaky and I have to pick at it, and I have often had the flakes inside my nostrils. When I do pick them off, it's like I am uncovering all of the huge pores underneath. When it's caked on, you can't see the pores at all.

Perfect skin the first 27.5 years of my life, and since then - total ****. No one else I have ever personally known in life has had to deal with this, and no one in my family. The reason I also know I have type 1 rosacea is because if I just get into a hot car, my ears and face go basically violently pink to red. Ears can sometimes even have a purplish hue. I live in South Carolina so even now in May I am getting into a car that is 90+ degrees before getting AC on. In July, it'll be closer to 110-115 degrees F in my car. It's terrible.... but not even winter is respite for me anymore.

Is it possible to have some minor P&P with type 1 rosacea? Because I have never had anything that looked close to most of the google images of type 2 rosacea. But it's also often not just a complete smooth sunburn looking appearance of type 1.
    Maybe posting a pic of it would help people in the group tell what it is

I don't think I want to post a pic... but it's just completely flaky. My entire cheeks and nose flake, and my glabella area. Above my eyebrows, flakes in eyebrows and forehead is flaky. When it's not particularly flaring the flakes can almost slough off on their own. I'm constantly checking my face in the reflection of the back of my phone (because looking at my self in the actual camera is out of the question) and can see flakes. It's extremely embarrassing and distressing.