Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Eyebrow itchiness +flakes, hair loss

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    7

    Default Eyebrow itchiness +flakes, hair loss

    Hi everyone
    I noticed individual eyebrow hairs moving directions about a year ago. Then flakes dot and skin that I could peel off. Few months later it started to itch randomly which happens frequently now. Im not sure if it's sebherrohic dermatitis or alopecia but the hair keep falling out. I got dandruff in my ears during this time and suffered dandruff on my head most my life. The hairs grow back but it takes a long time and seems like they are finer. I was using diprosone cream 0.5 mg for a month which made the scaling so much worse. About 3 weeks I stopped using it and got nizoral 2% and lotrimin ultra. I use the nizoral everyday and the lotrimin ultra I put a lot on in the night before I sleep. I havnt got anymore scales I can peel nor much redness but I've never had that much redness to begin with. Still have few flakes here and there and it still itches but that's kind of improving. My main concern is the eyebrow hair loss. I have very bushy eyebrows but it's thinning out and I lose about 6-10 a day. It was worse before. Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Samfromwa View Post
    Hi everyone
    I noticed individual eyebrow hairs moving directions about a year ago. Then flakes dot and skin that I could peel off. Few months later it started to itch randomly which happens frequently now. Im not sure if it's sebherrohic dermatitis or alopecia but the hair keep falling out. I got dandruff in my ears during this time and suffered dandruff on my head most my life. The hairs grow back but it takes a long time and seems like they are finer. I was using diprosone cream 0.5 mg for a month which made the scaling so much worse. About 3 weeks I stopped using it and got nizoral 2% and lotrimin ultra. I use the nizoral everyday and the lotrimin ultra I put a lot on in the night before I sleep. I havnt got anymore scales I can peel nor much redness but I've never had that much redness to begin with. Still have few flakes here and there and it still itches but that's kind of improving. My main concern is the eyebrow hair loss. I have very bushy eyebrows but it's thinning out and I lose about 6-10 a day. It was worse before. Any suggestions?
    Check out information on demodex. It sounds like you may have a demodex issue.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    7

    Default Démodéx

    Hey, thanks for the reply. I'm not so sure, I have researched it and at one point I got tea tree oil but it didn't really help I'd mix it with aloe Vera because it was 100%. I only did that for about a week. No results. My eyelashes are ok though and it usually is suppose to attack those. I have no red bumps on my brows either. Also is it worth a biopsy if I don't get the redness? Cheers

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    7

    Default

    So update. I've seen 2 derms so far. One thought I have alopecia, the other thinks it's seb derm. He says he's seen this before and for some people the hair just falls out and the follicle is altered, that's why I get the odd hairs that grow back. I've been suffering in my eyelids now also, no redness but it feels like there's always something in my eyes and then the hairs fall out on there own. I also developed follucuitis on my forehead, little pimple type bumps that I can squeeze at times. It's caused from malessia. It's all connected to seb derm so I'm convinced that's what it is. I've tried everything, had biopsy, spent hundreds of dollars, tried anti fungal, steroids, everything. It itches all the time. Only way I cope is by ignoring it but when it creates patches in my eyebrows I get panic attacks. I use nizoral 2% twice a week. That helps slightly with flaking. The key to coping is not looking at it and trying to ignore it. I also have edhlers danlos syndrome so I fight everyday as it is but I'm pretty sure seb derm is not connected. My over health through blood tests seems fine. I officially give up. There's no cure. Live with it and accept it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Brady Barrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI, USA
    Posts
    4,730
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    436
    Country: UK

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Samfromwa View Post
    So update. I've seen 2 derms so far. One thought I have alopecia, the other thinks it's seb derm. He says he's seen this before and for some people the hair just falls out and the follicle is altered, that's why I get the odd hairs that grow back. I've been suffering in my eyelids now also, no redness but it feels like there's always something in my eyes and then the hairs fall out on there own. I also developed follucuitis on my forehead, little pimple type bumps that I can squeeze at times. It's caused from malessia. It's all connected to seb derm so I'm convinced that's what it is. I've tried everything, had biopsy, spent hundreds of dollars, tried anti fungal, steroids, everything. It itches all the time. Only way I cope is by ignoring it but when it creates patches in my eyebrows I get panic attacks. I use nizoral 2% twice a week. That helps slightly with flaking. The key to coping is not looking at it and trying to ignore it. I also have edhlers danlos syndrome so I fight everyday as it is but I'm pretty sure seb derm is not connected. My over health through blood tests seems fine. I officially give up. There's no cure. Live with it and accept it.

    I was diagnosed with rosacea and seb derm. My eyebrows fell out and I had a constant itchy rash on my forehead.

    Turns out the dermatologists were wrong on both counts. I have contact dermatitis from various ingredients in my toiletries - notably from shampoo, soap and make up. I would strongly advise you to request a skin patch test to see if you are allergic to any of the products you use.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    Thank you for the reply. I thought it may be frontal fib but my derms say otherwise as there is hair growth but it grows back fine then distinctive, mostly in weird directions. I have no hair loss on my scalp either. Also I'm a 34 male, it can still happen but it's uncommon. It's been going on for a year also. As far as rosacea I doubt it as its never red nor shows any of the typical symptoms.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sally View Post
    I was diagnosed with rosacea and seb derm. My eyebrows fell out and I had a constant itchy rash on my forehead.

    Turns out the dermatologists were wrong on both counts. I have contact dermatitis from various ingredients in my toiletries - notably from shampoo, soap and make up. I would strongly advise you to request a skin patch test to see if you are allergic to any of the products you use.
    Thank you for the reply. When all this started I use to slightly trim my eyebrows now and then but that never caused a problem. It started off with the eyebrow hairs moving direction, then flakes, and then slight eyebrow loss. The last 6 months it's been constant itch, no redness, but constant eyebrow loss every single day. It's been relentless. I was using no products when it first occured, nor no shampoo as I'd shave my scalp to a size 1 every few days. I've always had dandruff in my scalp but no loss. When this began in my brows, my ears also started flaking. I lived in a very cold house at the time and was taking very hot showers, also my body is in constant stress mode as I have a connective tissue disorder but after so much research they say it has nothing to do with the eyebrow loss and alopecia symptoms are nothing like mine.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 19th January 2019, 08:23 AM
  2. Seb Derm and Eyebrow Hair Loss - Long Term Experience and My Advice
    By donmattus in forum Similar and co-existing conditions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 4th October 2018, 09:16 PM
  3. Hair loss/Eyebrow seb derm, white paste in brows after showers
    By Thelastmessenger in forum Newbie questions / Introduction
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 14th April 2018, 10:14 AM
  4. What helped YOU with Seb derm eyebrow hair loss?
    By lizabell in forum Similar and co-existing conditions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14th November 2016, 12:55 PM
  5. How to stop my eyebrow hair loss caused by Seb Derm?
    By Panasonic in forum Similar and co-existing conditions
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 30th September 2016, 11:31 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •