Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eyebrow itchiness +flakes, hair loss

Default Eyebrow itchiness +flakes, hair loss

Hi everyone
    I noticed individual eyebrow hairs moving directions about a year ago. Then flakes dot and skin that I could peel off. Few months later it started to itch randomly which happens frequently now. Im not sure if it's sebherrohic dermatitis or alopecia but the hair keep falling out. I got dandruff in my ears during this time and suffered dandruff on my head most my life. The hairs grow back but it takes a long time and seems like they are finer. I was using diprosone cream 0.5 mg for a month which made the scaling so much worse. About 3 weeks I stopped using it and got nizoral 2% and lotrimin ultra. I use the nizoral everyday and the lotrimin ultra I put a lot on in the night before I sleep. I havnt got anymore scales I can peel nor much redness but I've never had that much redness to begin with. Still have few flakes here and there and it still itches but that's kind of improving. My main concern is the eyebrow hair loss. I have very bushy eyebrows but it's thinning out and I lose about 6-10 a day. It was worse before. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Samfromwa View Post
    Hi everyone
    I noticed individual eyebrow hairs moving directions about a year ago. Then flakes dot and skin that I could peel off. Few months later it started to itch randomly which happens frequently now. Im not sure if it's sebherrohic dermatitis or alopecia but the hair keep falling out. I got dandruff in my ears during this time and suffered dandruff on my head most my life. The hairs grow back but it takes a long time and seems like they are finer. I was using diprosone cream 0.5 mg for a month which made the scaling so much worse. About 3 weeks I stopped using it and got nizoral 2% and lotrimin ultra. I use the nizoral everyday and the lotrimin ultra I put a lot on in the night before I sleep. I havnt got anymore scales I can peel nor much redness but I've never had that much redness to begin with. Still have few flakes here and there and it still itches but that's kind of improving. My main concern is the eyebrow hair loss. I have very bushy eyebrows but it's thinning out and I lose about 6-10 a day. It was worse before. Any suggestions?
    Check out information on demodex. It sounds like you may have a demodex issue.

Default Dťmodťx

Hey, thanks for the reply. I'm not so sure, I have researched it and at one point I got tea tree oil but it didn't really help I'd mix it with aloe Vera because it was 100%. I only did that for about a week. No results. My eyelashes are ok though and it usually is suppose to attack those. I have no red bumps on my brows either. Also is it worth a biopsy if I don't get the redness? Cheers

So update. I've seen 2 derms so far. One thought I have alopecia, the other thinks it's seb derm. He says he's seen this before and for some people the hair just falls out and the follicle is altered, that's why I get the odd hairs that grow back. I've been suffering in my eyelids now also, no redness but it feels like there's always something in my eyes and then the hairs fall out on there own. I also developed follucuitis on my forehead, little pimple type bumps that I can squeeze at times. It's caused from malessia. It's all connected to seb derm so I'm convinced that's what it is. I've tried everything, had biopsy, spent hundreds of dollars, tried anti fungal, steroids, everything. It itches all the time. Only way I cope is by ignoring it but when it creates patches in my eyebrows I get panic attacks. I use nizoral 2% twice a week. That helps slightly with flaking. The key to coping is not looking at it and trying to ignore it. I also have edhlers danlos syndrome so I fight everyday as it is but I'm pretty sure seb derm is not connected. My over health through blood tests seems fine. I officially give up. There's no cure. Live with it and accept it.

Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Samfromwa View Post
    So update. I've seen 2 derms so far. One thought I have alopecia, the other thinks it's seb derm. He says he's seen this before and for some people the hair just falls out and the follicle is altered, that's why I get the odd hairs that grow back. I've been suffering in my eyelids now also, no redness but it feels like there's always something in my eyes and then the hairs fall out on there own. I also developed follucuitis on my forehead, little pimple type bumps that I can squeeze at times. It's caused from malessia. It's all connected to seb derm so I'm convinced that's what it is. I've tried everything, had biopsy, spent hundreds of dollars, tried anti fungal, steroids, everything. It itches all the time. Only way I cope is by ignoring it but when it creates patches in my eyebrows I get panic attacks. I use nizoral 2% twice a week. That helps slightly with flaking. The key to coping is not looking at it and trying to ignore it. I also have edhlers danlos syndrome so I fight everyday as it is but I'm pretty sure seb derm is not connected. My over health through blood tests seems fine. I officially give up. There's no cure. Live with it and accept it.

I was diagnosed with rosacea and seb derm. My eyebrows fell out and I had a constant itchy rash on my forehead.

Turns out the dermatologists were wrong on both counts. I have contact dermatitis from various ingredients in my toiletries - notably from shampoo, soap and make up. I would strongly advise you to request a skin patch test to see if you are allergic to any of the products you use.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    Thank you for the reply. I thought it may be frontal fib but my derms say otherwise as there is hair growth but it grows back fine then distinctive, mostly in weird directions. I have no hair loss on my scalp either. Also I'm a 34 male, it can still happen but it's uncommon. It's been going on for a year also. As far as rosacea I doubt it as its never red nor shows any of the typical symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Sally View Post
    I was diagnosed with rosacea and seb derm. My eyebrows fell out and I had a constant itchy rash on my forehead.

Turns out the dermatologists were wrong on both counts. I have contact dermatitis from various ingredients in my toiletries - notably from shampoo, soap and make up. I would strongly advise you to request a skin patch test to see if you are allergic to any of the products you use.
    Thank you for the reply. When all this started I use to slightly trim my eyebrows now and then but that never caused a problem. It started off with the eyebrow hairs moving direction, then flakes, and then slight eyebrow loss. The last 6 months it's been constant itch, no redness, but constant eyebrow loss every single day. It's been relentless. I was using no products when it first occured, nor no shampoo as I'd shave my scalp to a size 1 every few days. I've always had dandruff in my scalp but no loss. When this began in my brows, my ears also started flaking. I lived in a very cold house at the time and was taking very hot showers, also my body is in constant stress mode as I have a connective tissue disorder but after so much research they say it has nothing to do with the eyebrow loss and alopecia symptoms are nothing like mine.

Seen the derm again. He is convinced this is happening from sebherroic dermatitis. He's prescribed me doxycycline 50 mg and told me to continue moisturising twice a day and to use menoxidil to promote eyebrow hair growth once in the night. Also nizoral twice a week. I let it go for two weeks, there's always hair growth, it grows back really weird but he thinks it shows no signs of exclamation point hairs or dots from alopecia artera. He has ruled out frontal fibrosing alopecia also. Since this all occured I started getting dry flakey ears from the inside, always had a bit of dandruff in the scalp most my life, started getting follucitis on my forehead which are little sebherroic pimples and itchy eyelashes with some loss. I also remember getting really red scabs after shaving my moustache a few years ago which were dry also. All in all I hate the routine I have to endure as nothing I try improves the symptoms and it's so hard to apply it as the hairs fall out while doing so. I can't rub the moisturiser in my brow as I can't handle the hair loss so I dab it on a press it down. I end up using more moisturiser this way and worry that it will affect hair growth. My derm is very nice and answers all my questions so I guess I'll stick with him for now.

Default Same symptoms eyebrow loss experience/products used

[QUOTE=Samfromwa;350640]Seen the derm again. He is convinced this is happening from sebherroic dermatitis. He's prescribed me doxycycline 50 mg and told me to continue moisturising twice a day and to use menoxidil to promote eyebrow hair growth once in the night. Also nizoral twice a week. I let it go for two weeks, there's always hair growth, it grows back really weird but he thinks it shows no signs of exclamation point hairs or dots from alopecia artera. He has ruled out frontal fibrosing alopecia also. Since this all occured I started getting dry flakey ears from the inside, always had a bit of dandruff in the scalp most my life, started getting follucitis on my forehead which are little sebherroic pimples and itchy eyelashes with some loss. I also remember getting really red scabs after shaving my moustache a few years ago which were dry also. All in all I hate the routine I have to endure as nothing I try improves the symptoms and it's so hard to apply it as the hairs fall out while doing so. I can't rub the moisturiser in my brow as I can't handle the hair loss so I dab it on a press it down. I end up using more moisturiser this way and worry that it will affect hair growth. My derm is very nice and answers all my questions so I guess I'll stick with him for now.[/

Hi Sam,

Iíve pretty much been going through the EXACT same thing as you for about two years now, Iím a 31 year old male and have bodybuilded natural since I was 16, my diet have usually been pretty high protein / carb/ fat based with large quantities and repetitive to give a bit of background to my lifestyle. I first noticed it about 2 years ago and itís has gotten quiet bad and unbearable. I also use to slightly trim my eyebrows as I read in your post. I noticed quiet an intense itch at first and lots of dandruff in my eyebrows And then slowly eyebrows would fall out. This occurred closest to my inner eyebrow on the left at first and has worked itís way out. I have lost about 80% of my left eyebrow and now my right is going and about 60-70% of the hairs have fallen out. They look shocking and the same issue as a lot of the others who report this problem with the white attachment at the bottom of the hair kind of looks like a small rice grain or flakey bit of skin. The hairs grow in wierd directions and become very weak. I believe that when the itchiness occurs in a particular spot it is usually where the hair falls out. I have very oil skin and if I put the outside of my hand against my eyebrows there is a considerable amount of oil that gets transferred, particularly around my T zone and nose. I also get this intense itch on my scalp but I donít believe Iím getting hair loss just have to put up with the itch and flakiness (which is made semi bareable with dandruff shampoos listed below)
    I am from Melbourne and have been to two dermatologist March/April of 2018 last year and countless doctors inbetween. The leading Derm in Melbourne who is quiet well known and experienced at his field believes it is also seb derm. He perscribed elocon lotion and another steroid cream which was not successful at helping with the itching or hair loss. My second appointment with him about a month later he wrote a script of Oratane 20mg which is considered a low dose. He believes that if the oil is removed then this should consequently stop the itch from the seb derm as it will remove to food source (oil) from the Malassezia yeast etc.which I have read a lot about and is the general consensus.
    I went and saw a second dermatologist who perscribed in the first consultation prescription 2.5mg minoxidil tablets for hair grow and two steroid less potent steroid creams as she believed the Elocon lotion was too strong. These were not successful also. This derm took before and after photos to monitor the results. On my second visit she prescribed 10mg oratane for me to take for the same reasons of the first derm. I never took the oratane to this day due to the chance of hair loss (scalp) and thinning and apparently it can effect your emotions and mental state etc and lead to depression I have not felt comfortable taking it.

Since then I have gone through countless threads and researched the whole internet and have come to a dead end with what I have tried so far and for something so minor that most of the world doesnít even think twice about it really takes its toll on you!

What I have tried so far includes:

- lotrimin ultra (wasnít successful still had the itch and eyebrow loss)
    - E45 shampoo for its climbazole properties (this worked great at removing the build up of skin etc I would leave it on for 10mins then use something sharp to gently scrape away the skin this would sometime remove hairs that had the white bulb at the base so frustrating! But itch and hair loss of eye brow remained)
    - used prescription antifungal tablets itraconazole as I believed this might get rid of the seb derm I read it was successful on some articles/trials and restored eyebrows however was not effective with me.
    - initially bought in to the demodex theorem and took some anti-parasitic ivermectin tablets prescription strength. This was not successful.
    -Ducray kelual DS cream ( tried this for a little while read this on a post but didnít have much luck with stopping the itch or hairloss of my eyebrows)
    -Bioderma antidandruff shampoo (same as previous point)

Current Routine (twice a week):
    - Wash my hair with head and shoulders first then Nizoral 2% ( the little red label bottle)
    Leave this in for about 3-5 mins and use the suds on my eyebrows.
    - every second day rotate with a coal tar shampoo or the e45.

I donít use any moisturisers as Iím just not sure if the ingredients will feed the seb derm and make it worse. Did your dermatologist say this was crucial and if so what brand are you using ?
    I also canít stand applying anything directly to the eyebrows for the fear of removing hairs (agree worst feeling !!)

I really believe this problem is linked to stress and this exasperates the eyebrow loss and itchiness. I have read a lot into gut flora health as well and strengthening the immune system to help natural fight whatever this is. Just my 2 cents from what Iíve read everything seems to say to stay clear of any anti biotics as this kills all our good bacteria that makes up our immune systems so something make for you to discuss with your Derm.

Not sure if the oratane might be the cure maybe something to look into Iím pretty close to trying it as Iíve exhausted Almost all options.
    Over the years on this forum people have reported on this same problem but you never hear how they ended up. I think itís important for us to share what works and try and get to the bottom of this thing. Happy for you to ask any questions if your open to it and vice versa as it will be beneficial to pool our knowledge and experience.
    Apologies have rambled on a bit trying to get my whole experience in this one post Iím sure thereís some grammar and spelling errors. Hope to hear from you with some feed Back cheers mate keep strong