Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Story + ZZ Cream question (with pics)

Default Tested for Demodex, only found one

I saw Dr. Alan Dattner today, who is a holistic dermatologist in NY specializing in difficult to treat conditions including rosacea (thanks Ant for the recommendation!). I have also been suffering from IBS for 3-4 years and he diagnosed me with leaky gut. He also confirmed my prior diagnosis of candida overgrowth (yeast infection).

He does applied kinesiology testing which is really amazing if you have never seen it. It is a test for sensitivities to any substance. He puts the substance against your gut using a high powered magnet and then tests your muscle strength; depending on whether your strength increases or decreases he will recommend removing the substance or adding it to your diet. He discovered that I have a gluten sensitivity and also a serious sensitivity to essential oils. He gave me a host of digestive supplements and tweaked my diet slightly (removed eggs, recommended only cooked vegetables for now, a couple other things). I have been doing a "gluten-lite" diet, but now I understand I have to go full on gluten free.

His view is that we have to heal my gut before we can really expect the rosacea to improve.

He also tested me for demodex and only found one demodex mite on his skin scrape. He said typically patients with demodex problems he will find at least 6 or 7, if not more. So he does not feel demodex are a problem for me. I'm not sure if the ZZ Cream knocked them out in only a week of use, or if they weren't a problem to begin with. Either way I cannot use the Tea Tree oil anymore because of my essential oil sensitivity. I'm not sure where this puts me for my demodex treatment.

I feel encouraged that he was able to give me specific treatment recommendations as a result of these sensitivity tests, but also a little fatigued / frustrated from not seeing more progress in my rosacea or gut problems despite all my ongoing treatments.

Please keep going and remain positive, you've only been using ZZ Cream for 11 days, which isn't nearly long enough to test and give it a chance.

My skin looked quite similar to yours in the first two pics of my thread - https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea...rate!-(w-pics).

I would suggest reading it from start to end.

For shampoo, you could try Demodex Solutions' DS Shampoo. I also have dry scalp, and have been using Denorex Extra Strength for 15 years or more.
    How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

Quote Originally Posted by RedRecluse View Post
    Please keep going and remain positive, you've only been using ZZ Cream for 11 days, which isn't nearly long enough to test and give it a chance.

My skin looked quite similar to yours in the first two pics of my thread - https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea...rate!-(w-pics).

I would suggest reading it from start to end.

For shampoo, you could try Demodex Solutions' DS Shampoo. I also have dry scalp, and have been using Denorex Extra Strength for 15 years or more.
    Thank you RedRecluse. Wow your story is really amazing! Thanks for sharing. I am really happy for you! Hope I can follow in your footsteps...

I also just tried Ant's recommendation of not putting your face under shower tap water and my face feels much better tonight. I have a water ionizer for drinking water that produces acidic runoff water that is supposed to be great for your skin, so I washed my face with this instead, and I am amazed at how calm my face is now. Best its felt in a week.

Its been three days since I used the ZZ Cream. I definitely want to keep using it, I am just concerned with the extent to which it dried me out. I truly felt like I had burns on my face by the fifth night and it stung when I applied it. I am thinking that if I'm careful with my face, I might be able to tolerate it every other night, but I can't imagine more than that. I might try it again tomorrow night. Maybe Soolantra is a better option for me. Would love any suggestions / input!

Quote Originally Posted by MP1985 View Post
    Thank you RedRecluse. Wow your story is really amazing! Thanks for sharing. I am really happy for you! Hope I can follow in your footsteps...

I also just tried Ant's recommendation of not putting your face under shower tap water and my face feels much better tonight. I have a water ionizer for drinking water that produces acidic runoff water that is supposed to be great for your skin, so I washed my face with this instead, and I am amazed at how calm my face is now. Best its felt in a week.

Its been three days since I used the ZZ Cream. I definitely want to keep using it, I am just concerned with the extent to which it dried me out. I truly felt like I had burns on my face by the fifth night and it stung when I applied it. I am thinking that if I'm careful with my face, I might be able to tolerate it every other night, but I can't imagine more than that. I might try it again tomorrow night. Maybe Soolantra is a better option for me. Would love any suggestions / input!
    Dryness is completely normal. Simply apply your ZZ Cream at night, and then use your favourite moisturiser in the morning, if needed.

I was also extremely dry from ZZ Cream, but I trooped on through it without using any moisturiser. Now my skin self-moisturises (to the point it can get oily after a long day), which is the goal.

Soolantra is less effective than ZZ Cream, and it also tends to become less/not effective after some time.

Keep going with ZZ Cream for at least 3 months.
    How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

Quote Originally Posted by MP1985 View Post

Everyone has different underlying levels of skin dryness/skin thickness etc, due to all sorts of underlying factors. So, yes I think avoiding chlorinated tap water should be helpful. Something else I use on top of ZZ cream is Skinceuticals Epidermal Repair cream - this is really effective to put moisture into the skin. I find different parts of the face have different levels of dryness as a consequence of the Zhongzhou cream having used it for over a year. The nose tolerates it more than the ears in terms of dryness.

Overall, I agree with Redrecluse that Zhongzhou cream is better than Soolantra.