Thread: Metformin stops me flushing

Default Metformin stops me flushing

Four weeks ago I started taking 500mg Metformin once a day (right before my evening meal). By the third day my flushing had decreased and after around 10 days had reduced drastically. Now I do not flush at all to food and interestingly the other triggers like heat and laying down to sleep (always use to flush with head getting warm on the pillow) no longer make me flush. My nose seems to be decreasing in volume also (edema slowly going) because I no longer flush. If I do something that use to bring on a flush like taking a really warm shower, now I just get a slight tingling feeling that used to herald a massive flush but now only lasts for around 1-2 minutes with no redness or swelling.

I don't have diabetes and have type 1 Rosacea with flushing/ nose swelling. For the last week I have reduced the dose to 500mg every other day and it is still working. I hope to reduce it to 500mg every 3 days after another two weeks and see if it still works.
    Food it seems is a massive delayed trigger for me that is driving my Rosacea.
    Last edited by Markhill8; 1st May 2019 at 11:02 PM.

Hi Markhill - thanks for sharing this. I actually just started taking Metformin last night for its anti-aging benefits (I'm also taking NR + Resveretrol / Pterostilbene combo). I'll monitor if I see a difference and report back!

If you don't have diabetes, what are you taking the Metformin for?

Awesome, thanks for letting us know, please keep us updated!

Quote Originally Posted by Markhill8 View Post
    Four weeks ago I started taking 500mg Metformin once a day (right before my evening meal). By the third day my flushing had decreased and after around 10 days had reduced drastically. Now I do not flush at all to food and interestingly the other triggers like heat and laying down to sleep (always use to flush with head getting warm on the pillow) no longer make me flush. My nose seems to be decreasing in volume also (edema slowly going) because I no longer flush. If I do something that use to bring on a flush like taking a really warm shower, now I just get a slight tingling feeling that used to herald a massive flush but now only lasts for around 1-2 minutes with no redness or swelling.

I don't have diabetes and have type 1 Rosacea with flushing/ nose swelling. For the last week I have reduced the dose to 500mg every other day and it is still working. I hope to reduce it to 500mg every 3 days after another two weeks and see if it still works.

This is interesting. I think food is a major trigger for me.

If you don't have diabetes, how did you get Metformin? Did you get a prescription for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff1 View Post

If you don't have diabetes, how did you get Metformin? Did you get a prescription for it?
    I get mine from overseas (no prescription). You can order it online through a reputable Indian pharmacy. My own decision after looking at the info out there about overseas pharmacies is that very mainstream drugs such as this one are plenty safe, but of course there are risks.

In the UK you can do an online consultation via a number of pharmacies (always check the pharmacy first via https://medicine-seller-register.mhra.gov.uk ). It involves answering a series of questions, of course you would have to click that you are diabetic but I can't see how they can check. Cost is about 12.99 for 56 tablets of 500mg.
    Question is how safe is it to take this if you are not diabetic though.

Edit:

Just found out in a Diabetic forum that there is a supplement called Beberine that is suppose to have the same effects as metformin and it can be bought without prescription widely in health stores.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5839379/
    Last edited by Mknlvi; 2nd May 2019 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff1 View Post

I got the Metformin from Uk meds link is here
    https://medicine-seller-register.mhr...h-registry/499
    It is a registered pharmacy and the Metformin is the the same you would get from a prescription from a GP or in a hospital in the NHS. The brand is TEVA UK.

There are two types, normal 500mg and extended release versions. I bought the normal version. Don't know how safe the extended release version would be in a non diabetic (on the other hand it may even work better for Rosacea, who knows).

I got the Metformin from Uk meds link is here
    https://medicine-seller-register.mhr...h-registry/499
    It is a registered pharmacy and the Metformin is the the same you would get from a prescription from a GP or in a hospital in the NHS. The brand is TEVA UK.

There are two types, normal 500mg and extended release versions. I bought the normal version. Don't know how safe the extended release version would be in a non diabetic (on the other hand it may even work better for Rosacea, who knows).
    so you bought these for the sole purpose of controlling flushing? Where did you get the idea? Brilliant if it works.

Metformin has been reported as causing a rosacea like rash in one case:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3923099/
    https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...rosacea.11000/

But people can respond very differently to the same drug. Metformin has been reported as being effective for skin conditions but more in the area of psoriasis rather than rosacea:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4778205/

Hopefully the drug will continue to work for you, and you can keep an eye out in case of any of the problems reported above.

Just wondering if you could provide any updates on how you're travelling with this?