Thread: Borax shampoo

Default Borax shampoo

Hi , Can you use borax shampoo on bleached or dyed hair & will it strip the colour?

I found an article that says borax will not strip the color or natural oils out of your hair. They also recommended following the borax with a citric acid rinse. The article claims they have had no problems with the citric acid rinse on their hi-lights and lo-lights in the hair. The citric acid rinse should help re-balance the hair pH.

https://duggansisters.com/blog/tag/borax-shampoo/

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineA View Post
    I found an article that says borax will not strip the color or natural oils out of your hair. They also recommended following the borax with a citric acid rinse. The article claims they have had no problems with the citric acid rinse on their hi-lights and lo-lights in the hair. The citric acid rinse should help re-balance the hair pH.

https://duggansisters.com/blog/tag/borax-shampoo/
    https://www.approachwellness.com/bak...ated-hair.html

Hi, thanks really appreciate you looking that up for me. The above link is more for baking soda use but at the top of article, the person stated that borax shampoo had striped their hair colour. Hasn't anyone on this forum who has used borax shampoo have dyed hair ?? I guess I'm on my own on this one lol... Maybe I should leave in hair for less minutes then. Do you know if the apple cider vinegar has to be organic? I have just been to 3 supermarkets & I can not find organic.

Quote Originally Posted by Headuphigh View Post

Hi, thanks really appreciate you looking that up for me. The above link is more for baking soda use but at the top of article, the person stated that borax shampoo had striped their hair colour. Hasn't anyone on this forum who has used borax shampoo have dyed hair ?? I guess I'm on my own on this one lol... Maybe I should leave in hair for less minutes then. Do you know if the apple cider vinegar has to be organic? I have just been to 3 supermarkets & I can not find organic.
    I have never dyed my hair due to having severe allergies. Hair dye can cause allergic reactions for some of us.
    The vinegar doesn't have to be organic. But it might strip your hair color. I used to use it as a teenager and it would tend to bring out reddish highlights in my normally brown hair after repeated uses. Lemon juice tends to give me blond highlights. I might not have diluted it with enough water back then though.

You might try snipping a very small lock of hair from an inconspicuous spot (like under the back, maybe - depends on the style). Try dipping the hair in the borax first for a few minutes to see if it would hurt your hair color. Then try it in the diluted vinegar solution.

I have never dyed my hair due to having severe allergies. Hair dye can cause allergic reactions for some of us.
    The vinegar doesn't have to be organic. But it might strip your hair color. I used to use it as a teenager and it would tend to bring out reddish highlights in my normally brown hair after repeated uses. Lemon juice tends to give me blond highlights. I might not have diluted it with enough water back then though.

You might try snipping a very small lock of hair from an inconspicuous spot (like under the back, maybe - depends on the style). Try dipping the hair in the borax first for a few minutes to see if it would hurt your hair color. Then try it in the diluted vinegar solution.
    The itching could be from chemical reactions from hair dyes or hair products. It is hard to say there is is no visable reaction on my scalp. A day after washing my head starts itching & It could go on for days. I will cut a strand from the back & test it with borax as you said. Do you know if there is an alternative to borax?
    Last edited by Headuphigh; 1st May 2019 at 06:54 PM.

I have color treated hair and ha e used borax shampoo. It doesnt seem to have too much of an affect on the color...

Quote Originally Posted by Karen m.s. View Post
    I have color treated hair and ha e used borax shampoo. It doesnt seem to have too much of an affect on the color...
    Is your hair brown & does it lighten to a reddish tone when you use borax? My hair tends to do that especially when I have hi-lites.
    Last edited by Headuphigh; 1st May 2019 at 08:01 PM.

Is your hair brown & does it lighten to a reddish tone when you use borax? My hair tends to do that especially when I have hi-lites.
    It's auburn.

The itching could be from chemical reactions from hair dyes or hair products. It is hard to say there is is no visable reaction on my scalp. A day after washing my head starts itching & It could go on for days. I will cut a strand from the back & test it with borax as you said. Do you know if there is an alternative to borax?
    The itching sounds similar to what I had when the demodex were still active. No visible reaction, just itching. I was using a sulfate free shampoo at the time - so I had already eliminated the possibility that the sulfates might be causing the itch.

The only other alternative to Borax for demodex that I know about is Tea Tree Oil shampoo or adding 2 drops of tea tree oil to your favorite shampoo. Most if not all of the commercial Tea Tree Oil shampoos also have Sulfates in them which can be drying or irritating to the scalp and hair.

Is your regular shampoo a Sulfate Free shampoo? Sulfates like sodium lauryl sulfate are found in the majority of shampoos and liquid soaps. Sulfates can be very drying and irritating to scalp and skin. Burt's Bees, L'Oreal Sulfate Free and DevaCurl to name a few make Sulfate Free shampoos.

The itching sounds similar to what I had when the demodex were still active. No visible reaction, just itching. I was using a sulfate free shampoo at the time - so I had already eliminated the possibility that the sulfates might be causing the itch.

The only other alternative to Borax for demodex that I know about is Tea Tree Oil shampoo or adding 2 drops of tea tree oil to your favorite shampoo. Most if not all of the commercial Tea Tree Oil shampoos also have Sulfates in them which can be drying or irritating to the scalp and hair.

Is your regular shampoo a Sulfate Free shampoo? Sulfates like sodium lauryl sulfate are found in the majority of shampoos and liquid soaps. Sulfates can be very drying and irritating to scalp and skin. Burt's Bees, L'Oreal Sulfate Free and DevaCurl to name a few make Sulfate Free shampoos.
    I was using this shampoo for 2 years but product was not stoping itching completely.Also price was going up & up
    so I decided to try another brand.

http://www.allbeauty.com/gb/en/10917...SABEgJe8PD_BwE

This brand I use now doesn't lather at all & so I use a normal shampoo first then use the sulphate free/chemical free one after. The itching normally starts 24 hours later after use.

https://www.greenpeople.co.uk/shop/b...-shampoo-200ml

I did a hair strand test on the hi-lighted part of my hair. I used a tsp of borax with a sml capful of warm water. I left hair in there over half hour. I did not notice any colour change but I not certain if the product can thin hair out because then strand seemed thinner after testing it. I am also going to do another test as I have 2 colours in my hair. I will try on brown tinted piece of my hair & see if that makes any difference. Thanks for the shampoo links, I will look them up. We may not have them in UK but if not too expensive on Amazon.com I could give it a try.
    If you don't mind me asking how do you post photos on this site please?
    Last edited by Headuphigh; 2nd May 2019 at 07:19 PM.