Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Subtype 1 is spreading: Is 22yo too young to consider laser?

I've seen more anecdotal evidence that Vbeam has been more effective for subtype 1. I could be wrong, or looking in the wrong places.

I'm likely going to wait till I'm older before I consider laser. Seems like a lot of risk, and not something I want to worry about -- especially scarring for fews weeks-a month and how that would interfere with my life.

Does red light actually help? Everything I've come across says it doesn't and I question those who claim it has done anything. Placebo?

I've come across a lot of positive reports for clonidine. At some point I'm going to try this as well. A lot of people say it also can help slightly with persistent redness.

Quote Originally Posted by MP1985 View Post
    TobyG - is there a reason you are considering Vbeam instead of IPL? I would strongly suggest you consider IPL. I don't think there is any studies or anecdotal evidence that vbeam is more effective for Subtype 1 than IPL. Also, most folks have very little down time on IPL (the next day my face was a little sensitive and that's about it). You might want to read this pamphlet for some very helpful info about Subtype 1 and IPL:

https://rosacea-support.org/wp-conte...-Warm-Room.pdf

Also I would suggest you consider Red Light therapy. You can do some searching on these forums and some say it was the best treatment they found. For me it did help a lot, I still use my red light every day. Here's an article about IPL + Red light together:

https://rosacea-research.org/wiki/in...._Goldberg,_MD

Cheers,
    Matt
    Last edited by tobyg; 6th May 2019 at 03:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrlhamcat2 View Post
    In retrospect I wish I could have nipped this in the bud with Vbeam and topical tranexamic acid rather than experimenting with off-label uses of prescription medications that never provided more than symptomatic relief. Finding the right Vbeam practitioner can be difficult though.
    jrlhamcat2, Interesting thank you for your perspective. How many times have you done vbeam / how frequently do you do it? How do you deal with the recovery period? Do you have subtype 1? I'm mainly worried about bruising for weeks and having to avoid work / other people.

I think it might help with my persistent redness. But my flushing feels very internal (a combination of a warm room / social / fear of flushing mostly) and I think a beta blocker is the only thing that would help with it.

Quote Originally Posted by tobyg View Post
    jrlhamcat2, Interesting thank you for your perspective. How many times have you done vbeam / how frequently do you do it? How do you deal with the recovery period? Do you have subtype 1? I'm mainly worried about bruising for weeks and having to avoid work / other people.

I think it might help with my persistent redness. But my flushing feels very internal (a combination of a warm room / social / fear of flushing mostly) and I think a beta blocker is the only thing that would help with it.
    Yes, classic subtype 1 with none of the type 2 bumps. I've had three sessions with the Vbeam Prima laser, 4-8 weeks apart. We increase the energy used each time to assess tolerance.

There is a risk of bruising, but bruising isn't essential to the treatment. The doctor treating me told me that bruising is more likely with very pale people, whereas I'm more a pale/olive mix.

So far the adverse effects have been limited to some redness and swelling which clear up after a few days. I haven't had the spot/grid pattern some people show either.

Before this I tried propranolol for a few years and found it reduced flushing somewhat, but the exercise intolerance was really annoying. I tried adding clonidine but it gave me toe Reynaud's and I got frostbite on one of my toes, which mostly recovered but still looks damaged. Mirtazipine and mepacrine both made me feel insane.

Using lasers to remove the excess vasculature in my face has been a much more effective approach, and modern lasers with the right operator are able to do this without much damage to the surrounding tissue.

I still flush sometimes in response the classical triggers but I don't get so abnormally red anymore.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jrlhamcat2; 6th May 2019 at 04:40 PM.

Default I don't think so

Quote Originally Posted by tobyg View Post
    I thought my subtype 1 (redness + flushing) wouldn't progress beyond my cheeks but it definitely has been expanding its surface. Noticing more redness (though it depends on the time of the day) on the side of my face too. I was planning to consider v-beam down the line, hoping 10-20+ years from now, but I'm wondering if it's best to start now.

Just this week, maybe because I've been sick, I noticed another random red mark underneath my eye. My skin is very thin (I even have bags under my eye) so I guess it was just a matter of time for blood vessels to become visible beyond my cheek area. However, it looks very noticeable because it's separated from my cheeks and I'm thinking v-beam might need to be considered now.

Is 22 too young to consider v-beam? I hate the idea that I'd have to do this consistently and the possibility of bruising, fat loss, marks, etc. Since my skin is so thin I do get the feeling that I'll be left with abnormal marks, especially if I do it annually for the rest of my life. Another question: How do you guys manage the bruising? I've seen some gnarly photos of bruising that people have for a few weeks. Do you take off work that long? I have a roommate and I definitely wouldn't want to be walking around my place like that. I could go home for a few weeks but even then there's bound to be people coming and going through my house and I know they would be super critical about it. It does look very strange..

Would highly appreciate any advice. This forum is a gem and I'm glad I found it. I currently use Avar face wash, vanicream, beta blocker 1-3 times a week. Should I explore more options before considering laser? I've tried soolantra though also accompanied by rhofade which caused rebound redness, keto diet, some supplements. But I might keep trying other diets / supplements first. I have metrogel sitting around but haven't tried it because I read its mostly for inflamation.
    Personally, no, I don't think 22 is too young. I'm 27 and I've had 2 full face PDLs. Going for another on Friday. It's been very helpful, and I wish I'd done it sooner.