Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Very impressed with Soolantra

  1. #11
    Senior Member Tom Busby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    Squalane oil has a very long carbon chain, 28 to 32, so it can't be metabolized by malassezia.

    Plus, squalane oil has a fairly high HLB number (12), which means it washes off slightly better than MCT oil (an HLB number of 5) -- the HLB system is a rough measure of the how any particular oil can be emulsified with water. Squalane oil has a "soft" feel compared to other oils, and in my opinion it has very nice aesthetic properties. However, it's still an oil so if you use it straight (neat) it's going to be very shiny and oily.

    Squalane oil was first derived from shark liver, but it's not possible to buy shark-derived squalane anymore, and it's nearly always distilled from olives. However, squalane oil is very expensive, costing about $1 per gram, whereas MCT oil costs less than $1 per 50 grams.

    But the carbon chain length of any particular oil makes no difference for demodex or their metabolic needs.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    216
    Country: United States

    Default

    I started using ivermectin horse paste from Amazon on May 10.. it's 1.87%. It's the yellow gel like substance with apple flavoring for horses. I'm more type 1 with concomitant seborrheic dermatitis, and I haven't seen it do much so far. I occasionally have some tiny pimples and red bumps but nothing like pics I see when I google image search type 2 rosacea... but I will keep using it I guess. Go back to useless derm on May 28 for the first time in almost 3 years. Don't expect much and not even sure why I'm going. In addition, I often lather OTC Nizoral on my face when I am showering but that hasn't done much. I guess I will ask for 2% prescription again.. but I doubt this does anything. My skin is just f'ed so bad right now. I'm picking off large flakes that are adhered to my nose pores and this one I picked off today just keeps oozing oil from the pores right now. It's bad.

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    44
    Country: Australia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Busby View Post
    Squalane oil has a very long carbon chain, 28 to 32, so it can't be metabolized by malassezia.

    Plus, squalane oil has a fairly high HLB number (12), which means it washes off slightly better than MCT oil (an HLB number of 5) -- the HLB system is a rough measure of the how any particular oil can be emulsified with water. Squalane oil has a "soft" feel compared to other oils, and in my opinion it has very nice aesthetic properties. However, it's still an oil so if you use it straight (neat) it's going to be very shiny and oily.

    Squalane oil was first derived from shark liver, but it's not possible to buy shark-derived squalane anymore, and it's nearly always distilled from olives. However, squalane oil is very expensive, costing about $1 per gram, whereas MCT oil costs less than $1 per 50 grams.

    But the carbon chain length of any particular oil makes no difference for demodex or their metabolic needs.
    Thanks a lot Tom, so it is safe to use with demodex issues?

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    44
    Country: Australia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aafdup View Post
    I started using ivermectin horse paste from Amazon on May 10.. it's 1.87%. It's the yellow gel like substance with apple flavoring for horses. I'm more type 1 with concomitant seborrheic dermatitis, and I haven't seen it do much so far. I occasionally have some tiny pimples and red bumps but nothing like pics I see when I google image search type 2 rosacea... but I will keep using it I guess. Go back to useless derm on May 28 for the first time in almost 3 years. Don't expect much and not even sure why I'm going. In addition, I often lather OTC Nizoral on my face when I am showering but that hasn't done much. I guess I will ask for 2% prescription again.. but I doubt this does anything. My skin is just f'ed so bad right now. I'm picking off large flakes that are adhered to my nose pores and this one I picked off today just keeps oozing oil from the pores right now. It's bad.
    I feel for you. It’s frustrating when derms just recite the general antifungals that apparently are supposed to work and offer no further option if they’re not working. My derm just prescribed me a sulfur cream to be made at a compounding chemist in an ‘aqueous cream’. I bought it for $30 used it for 3 days and it began burning my skin and I had to wash it off. Googled aqueous cream and in contains sodium lauryl sulphate! Which I explained to him was the worst thing for my skin and coincided with my skin issues appearing. And he refers me something with that in it! Wtf. So I called the office and they’re sending me a script for Sulfur in a sorbolene base which I will have to pay another $30 for, due to his error. And I’d say it’ll contain Malassezia containing ingredients. Ugh. I’d be so much richer if I didn’t have skin issues, it’s like when do you just stop trying. I’ll plummet into depression if I do that though. ��

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    5

    Default Symptoms

    Hello all,

    So I came across this thread and here are my symptoms and I was wondering if this is the same thing y'all experienced

    Dry skin extremely small flakes(mustache, forehead, in between eyebrows, nose
    extremely sensitive skin only flares when something touches my skin such as cleansers or extreme heat like sweating
    rough texture skin
    Redness
    Oily skin
    large pores
    everything reacts with my skin such as all cleansers
    very little pustules or papules


    can this be a Demodex infestation
    Last edited by Scrappy91; 15th May 2019 at 06:23 PM.

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    44
    Country: Australia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy91 View Post
    Hello all,

    So I came across this thread and here are my symptoms and I was wondering if this is the same thing y'all experienced

    Dry skin extremely small flakes(mustache, forehead, in between eyebrows, nose
    extremely sensitive skin only flares when something touches my skin such as cleansers or extreme heat like sweating
    rough texture skin
    Redness
    Oily skin
    large pores
    everything reacts with my skin such as all cleansers
    very little pustules or papules


    can this be a Demodex infestation
    Itís so hard to know, especially without a picture. I couldnít say yes or no and have any confidence in my answer. I donít even know what my own issues are caused by! Sounds like either demodex issues or seborrheic dermatitis to me but I really donít know Iím sorry. Have you tried any treatments? Does anything show signs of helping? Often that is the best way to work out the cause. If itís Seb Derm, Nizoral, Selsun Gold, Sulfur, Lotrimin Ultra etc can cause improvement. If demodex, TTO, sulfur, ZZ cream, Ivermectin (script only), Permethrin and perhaps Crotamiton tend to give results.

  7. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    1
    Country: United States

    Default

    That's exactly the problem, I suppose. There are so many ifs and buts surrounding this. Soolantra definitely sounds promising though.

Similar Threads

  1. Soolantra
    By Sarahfedup in forum Newbie questions / Introduction
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26th March 2019, 06:43 AM
  2. Soolantra.
    By Michael Vincent in forum Newbie questions / Introduction
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 9th November 2018, 01:31 AM
  3. Help! Whats best soolantra or zz? my doctor has scared me off soolantra
    By Elmo in forum Topical and oral products (non-prescription)
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 3rd October 2017, 09:19 PM
  4. Super impressed with this dermatolgoist and new skin regime (so far)
    By Kalamazoo in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 19th February 2017, 08:43 PM
  5. Fo those of you who have tried SOOLANTRA...
    By rosiekat in forum Prescription medications
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 29th September 2016, 12:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •