Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very impressed with Soolantra

Default Very impressed with Soolantra

I have been dealing with rosacea for good 10 years now. In a very short time, I went from perfect, porcelain-like fair skin to the state when people kept asking me whether I had a severe sunburn. At its worst, my skin became extremely sensitive, even a slight touch of wind triggered a powerful reaction. It looked as if I was attacked with acid - not only was my skin red, there were many discolorations, a lot of oil&large pores, flakiness, and general appearance of unhealthy, struggling skin.

During this time I tried every possible therapy: topicals like Metro gel and azalaic acid, numerous supplements and creams, medical&beauty treatments (15 VPLs, 8 IPLs, iontophoresis, LED treatments), antibiotics, custom-made gels, Mirvaso, and many other. I believe I could buy a new car if we summed up all the spendings. The condition of my skin improved a bit, but it was still red and sensitive. My rosacea was constantly evolving, I mostly struggled with flushing and general bright red appearance, but at times also bumps, tingling, thicker skin, peeling, and eczema.

When I learnt that Galderma released a new product, it made no impression on me. I was pretty much at the point when I was fully positive that nothing could fix my face, and I drowned in my misery. But I have this mindset that I need to try everything, so I gave Soolantra a go, having in mind that it is intended mostly for people with papules, not my neverending redness, thus I can't expect much.

I have been using it for 4 weeks now, and I am literally shocked how my skin improved during this time. There are no more discolorations, redness decreased by 70% (I'm pinkish now, but it looks healthy), I can take a shower without going super red, and in general I no longer feel this discomfort, tightness, and dryness. After a disastrous experience with Mirvaso, I need to pay thanks to the creators of this drug, it gave me a relief I needed so much.

So happy for you! I've been reading so much about soolantra/Ivermectin, also on many FB groups how people use Horse paste. Do you have type 1 with "only" flushing? I have type one so i've always assumed soolantra wasn't for me. I'm also scared that it will dry my skin too much, that it's too harsh. have you felt that? How long do you plan to use it for, is it life time or does one scale down after a while?

Thank you for your time!

Quote Originally Posted by AstridOh View Post
    So happy for you! I've been reading so much about soolantra/Ivermectin, also on many FB groups how people use Horse paste. Do you have type 1 with "only" flushing? I have type one so i've always assumed soolantra wasn't for me. I'm also scared that it will dry my skin too much, that it's too harsh. have you felt that? How long do you plan to use it for, is it life time or does one scale down after a while?

Thank you for your time!
    Thank you! To be honest, I expected nothing, since I have tried many options before and nothing worked, so I was pretty sure it was going to be another gimmick.

I have mostly type one - I used to be red all the time, but could turn very red if I met my triggers. My skin is super sensitive, 99% of the products (even the gentle ones like Cetaphil) caused dryness and flare-ups. But somehow Soolantra keeps it calm - I put it on after washing and gently drying my face, and then use anti-redness cream. I didn't experience any side effects so far.

The leaflet indicates you should use it for 3 months. If you don't see any improvement, you should discontinue applying it. If it works, I believe it can be used without limits, but I didn't ask my doctor about it.

Generally, if Soolantra works for you and you get clearance after 12 weeks, a maintenance application once or so a week is all that is needed. If you have another flare up, obviously you apply it once a day, just as the instructions indicate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    Generally, if Soolantra works for you and you get clearance after 12 weeks, a maintenance application once or so a week is all that is needed. If you have another flare up, obviously you apply it once a day, just as the instructions indicate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hi Brady 😊

Just wondering if I may be able to tap into your wealth of knowledge - do you know if squalane oil feeds demodex? I know they feed on sebum and dead skin cells but canít find any info about squalane and am interested in trying Avene Extreme Cleanser lotion which contains this ingredient and it is evidently ok for seb derm.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Jess

Quote Originally Posted by aussiechick84 View Post
    Hi Brady 😊

Just wondering if I may be able to tap into your wealth of knowledge - do you know if squalane oil feeds demodex? I know they feed on sebum and dead skin cells but canít find any info about squalane and am interested in trying Avene Extreme Cleanser lotion which contains this ingredient and it is evidently ok for seb derm.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Jess
    Haven't heard of squalane oil, so Wikipedia says, "Squalane is a hydrocarbon derived by hydrogenation of squalene," while squalene is "a natural organic compound originally obtained for commercial purposes primarily from shark liver oil..." I have no knowledge whether or not Demodex eat squalane. The expert extraordinaiare for seb derm is Tom Busby and way more qualified to answer such a question as this. Tom, are you available for input on this question proposed by Jess?
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Haven't heard of squalane oil, so Wikipedia says, "Squalane is a hydrocarbon derived by hydrogenation of squalene," while squalene is "a natural organic compound originally obtained for commercial purposes primarily from shark liver oil..." I have no knowledge whether or not Demodex eat squalane. The expert extraordinaiare for seb derm is Tom Busby and way more qualified to answer such a question as this. Tom, are you available for input on this question proposed by Jess?
    According to everything I've read, squalane does not feed demodex. It's one of the few that does not... yet moisturizes supremely well. I had fungal issues and used squalane with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen m.s. View Post
    According to everything I've read, squalane does not feed demodex. It's one of the few that does not... yet moisturizes supremely well. I had fungal issues and used squalane with no problems.
    Great, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Karen m.s. View Post
    Thanks Brady 😊 Tom is definitely the guru, hopefully he sees this! Squalane oil is, I believe, a relatively new ingredient used in a lot of skincare products as it has great moisturising qualities. I believe there is olive squalane and also shark derived squalane. It seems to be well tolerated by rosaceans so I presume itís not able to be metabolised by Malassezia.

Quote Originally Posted by aussiechick84 View Post
    Thanks Brady 😊 Tom is definitely the guru, hopefully he sees this! Squalane oil is, I believe, a relatively new ingredient used in a lot of skincare products as it has great moisturising qualities. I believe there is olive squalane and also shark derived squalane. It seems to be well tolerated by rosaceans so I presume itís not able to be metabolised by Malassezia.
    Thanks
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi