Thread: Singulair may be helpful in reducing inflammation in eye glands after ocular rosacea

Default Singulair may be helpful in reducing inflammation in eye glands after ocular rosacea

Has anyone else taken Singulair after ocular rosacea and found that it helps oily tear production?

Singulair may be a possible treatment for eye gland function after ocular rosacea is cleared. This isn't proven to work. But it seems to be helping me.

I had demodex caused ocular rosacea and rosacea type II for years. Finally got it cleared up last year with the oral Ivermectin and oral Metronidazole 2 week treatment. Have been clear ever since.
    However, my eyes have still been too dry.

I started taking Singulair (asthma and allergies) about a week ago to treat allergy induced cough variant asthma.
    I've noticed over the last few days that my Meibomian (oily tear glands) are working much more normally. My eyes are not getting too dry even after long hours at the computer or e-reader.

Singulair may be reducing the inflammation in the eye glands allowing the oily tears to work more normally.

THIS IS NOT A PROVEN CURE. But it may help people with similar problems. I will update this post in a few weeks to report any changes.
    I was curious if anyone else had noticed a similar improvement in tear production?

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineA View Post
    Has anyone else taken Singulair after ocular rosacea and found that it helps oily tear production?

Singulair may be a possible treatment for eye gland function after ocular rosacea is cleared. This isn't proven to work. But it seems to be helping me.

I had demodex caused ocular rosacea and rosacea type II for years. Finally got it cleared up last year with the oral Ivermectin and oral Metronidazole 2 week treatment. Have been clear ever since.

I started taking Singulair (asthma and allergies) about a week ago to treat allergy induced cough variant asthma.
    I've noticed over the last few days that my Meibomian (oily tear glands) are working much more normally. My eyes are not getting too dry even after long hours at the computer or e-reader.

Singulair may be reducing the inflammation in the eye glands allowing the oily tears to work more normally.

THIS IS NOT A PROVEN CURE. But it may help people with similar problems. I will update this post in a few weeks to report any changes.
    I was curious if anyone else had noticed a similar improvement in tear production?
    I have taken Singulair for type 1 rosacea flushing/redness in general. It was helpful with those symptoms but I didn't have eye symptoms at the time (though I have had mild ocular rosacea previously). I had to stop singulair because of side effects - it felt like breathing panic attacks I was getting after a month or so of taking it. I'd be cautious about potential side effects with Singular, as other rosacea sufferers have found side effects with this medicine as well and parents have expressed a lot of concern about its side effects on children who take it for asthma. The side effects showed themselves more after 3-4 weeks rather than immediately. I do believe though that it can be very helpful for rosacea symptoms as I saw that in my own case - it's just a shame about the possible side effects.

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineA View Post

UPDATE: After 30 days on Singulair, my oily tear production still seems to be working better than before taking Singulair. I suspect that the Singulair is indeed reducing inflammation in those glands.