Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When itís not Rosacea

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-C View Post
    I consulted my doctor about Capsaicin before I started treatment. I bought some OTC pure capsaicin and mixed 2 drops in 10 grams of shea butter. Apply a tiny bit from the lobule to the helix. Wait for 30 minutes, then remove it with a solution of Lidocaine/Ethanol. Never use pure water, as it spreads the Capsaicin around. My ear is flushed and will hurt for 1 hour afterwards, but will then stay mostly calm through the night. Nights are worst for me.

I will look into Zhongzhou cream thank you so much for your suggestion!
    I actually find that using the Zhongzhou cream seems to stop flushing most nights during sleep.

Rosacea is an autoimmune disease, have u ever tried keto/carnivore diet?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    Sumatriptan actually sometimes "turns off" my ear flushing/burning. My problem though is I would need to take it 4x / day and it's not really advised to take that often (rebounding migraines, etc). I think sumatriptan can inhibit TRPV1 activity on sensory nerves (amongst other things), as well as being a potent cerebral vasoconstrictor - so it helps nerves + blood vessels both. Botox / aimovig might similarly help you (botox helps me partially).

I'm impressed you get benefit w/ capsaicin on ears. I tried a dab of the smallest % OTC cream, 1 spot, and my face/ears just flipped out, and I could not continue even if benefit down the line. Capsaicin wants to desensitize the sensory nerves and TRPV1. There is a new topical eczema cream coming out that is a TRPV1 blocker, soon to be commercially available. My derm said that the cream can reach the sensory nerves and might be worth a try for me. I think PAC-14028

OTC (oral) palmitoylethanolamide helps them to be less sensitive to touch (does not help with heat).

I'm curious if you respond to sodium channel blockers?
    Hi Lasercat

How many units of botox per ear do you have and do you know the concentration? I have 15 units per ear, and above average concentration compared to what my dermatologist normally uses (though not sure the precise concentration). It makes the ears quite shiny just after it has been done (but no one would guess I'd had botox I think anyway because it's not a common cosmetic treatment for the ears!). I only have it done around the edge of the ears (on the rim of the outer ear, as this seems to be the pattern of where the blood flow starts into the outer ear).

Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    I actually find that using the Zhongzhou cream seems to stop flushing most nights during sleep.
    From reading past posts I thought this only worked for type 2 papules/pustules and is very drying. Did It actually stop your flushing when laying down. How long did it take to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mknlvi View Post
    From reading past posts I thought this only worked for type 2 papules/pustules and is very drying. Did It actually stop your flushing when laying down. How long did it take to work.
    I use zhongzhou cream in combination with other medications, but yes the combination does mean I can fairly reliably not flush when laying down, which is clearly a big advantage. In fact, I apply the zhongzhou cream only at night before bedtime and find I don't flush then, whereas if I lie down for a brief period during the day (when I won't have applied the cream) then I do flush. Zhongzhou cream reduces demodex mite activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mknlvi View Post
    Did It actually stop your flushing when laying down.
    For me, taking mirtazapine at night (22.5 mg) has let me lie down and sleep at night. I can't lie down during the day, though. I recently tried to go to bed before it kicked in, and it was awful, I remember how bad it used to be, I needed to sit completely upright otherwise my ears would explode, etc. Then suddenly it kicked in, and I was fine. For me it has been sort of a miracle for sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    For me, taking mirtazapine at night (22.5 mg) has let me lie down and sleep at night. I can't lie down during the day, though. I recently tried to go to bed before it kicked in, and it was awful, I remember how bad it used to be, I needed to sit completely upright otherwise my ears would explode, etc. Then suddenly it kicked in, and I was fine. For me it has been sort of a miracle for sleep.
    Have you tried/considered taking Mirtazapine during the day? Like splitting the dose maybe. Or does it affect you too much and you'd be too groggy?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff1 View Post
    Have you tried/considered taking Mirtazapine during the day? Like splitting the dose maybe. Or does it affect you too much and you'd be too groggy?
    Thanks for the idea. Yeah, the 22.5 mg and below make me groggy (which I like, because the more sleep I get, the better I am the next day). I'm upping my cymbalta dose during the day to see if that is helpful at all.