Thread: Intro & Questions

Default Intro & Questions

Hello All,

New here. 42 year old mom with light skin, hair and eyes from the Northeast of US. I have not been diagnosed with Rosacea but I'm fairly certain that's what this is. I believe I've had it for about 8 years now, since the birth of my last child, however, it was manageable and I thought it was just acne. I'm a soda drinker, which I know is terrible, but, I still drink it. I don't drink coffee, tea or water so considering that I've managed to get myself down to 1 soda per day. Three years ago I was hospitalized for kidney stone and colitis. The following year I had an outbreak of shingles and since then is when my Rosacea has been just out of control and has become painful (prior to this it was not painful).

I think I have the sub-type 2 (papulopustular) as I get the bumbs on my face like a rash and then super dry skin like sand paper. I don't really get the flushing. I get the feeling like my face is hot all of a sudden and then the throbbing but it doesn't really get red except where the bumps are.

I'm looking into trying anything but I'm finding that what someone said works for them doesn't for me etc. so it's so hard and frustrating to slowly figure this out. For example, I cut all dairy out of my diet for 2 weeks and it did nothing for my Rosacea. Helped in other areas but not a thing for Rosacea. I also find that going to the gym and working out and using the dry heat sauna actually makes me feel better and again helps in other areas but have heard it's a huge no no for Rosacea. I didn't feel it helped or hurt with my Rosacea. Another thing some people have said is that using TTO is too harsh but for me it seems to feel better and soothing. I dilute it a little and mix in with my lotion because it's too drying. I've started using the ivermectin horse gel/paste topically but I'm having mixed results with it. When I put it on at night (way too greasy for day time) and wake up the next morning my face feels good, bumps aren't red and throbbing but then if I even touch my face dry scaly patched just start falling off. If it's the weekend I leave my face alone and don't wear makeup but during the week there is no chance in hell I'd go to work without trying to cover this up. I've also been using Bye Bye Foundation by It Cosmetics and I heard such great reviews but no luck for me. It covers nothing and just slides around on my face. Then when it dries/absorbs a little it's like the dry scaly patches all over my face again but worse with ivory coloring to them. It honestly looks terrible but for me it's still better than the humiliation of my work seeing my red bumps.

Have you visited a dermatologist?

It sounds like it may be 2 problems. The flakes sou d like yeast to me. You may need an antifungal as well as ivermectin. Perhaps try lotrimin ultra (it has to be ultra) as well as the horse paste/cetaphil mixture. You should see a dermatologist, but it is hard finding a good one that will treat approximately and not brush you off.

Welcome to RF,
    You may want to read up on rosacea 101. As bilge and Karen m.s. both suggest, seeing a dermatologist is probably a good idea. Be sure to read this post on what to ask. You are correct, what works for one rosacean may nor may not work for another, which is what has been dubbed the rosacea X-Factor. TTO should be diluted, usually a 50/50 ratio since as you discovered it is way to harsh on rosacea sensitive skin. The horse paste usually takes 12 weeks to get clearance but you should see improvement in a month. Just apply it on your red bumps at night, and then wash it off in the AM. There are a number of cosmetics that are designed to cover redness, as you know, IT Cosmetics was founded by Jamie Kern Lima who suffers from rosacea. Finally here are some tips on exercising and rosacea.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by bilge View Post
    Have you visited a dermatologist?
    I have not yet. I'm on the dreaded waiting list.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen m.s. View Post
    It sounds like it may be 2 problems. The flakes sou d like yeast to me. You may need an antifungal as well as ivermectin. Perhaps try lotrimin ultra (it has to be ultra) as well as the horse paste/cetaphil mixture. You should see a dermatologist, but it is hard finding a good one that will treat approximately and not brush you off.
    I agree. I'm on the dreaded waiting list. I've heard of waiting months, spending a fortune, and it still doesn't work stories that have me scared.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    Welcome to RF,
    You may want to read up on rosacea 101. As bilge and Karen m.s. both suggest, seeing a dermatologist is probably a good idea. Be sure to read this post on what to ask. You are correct, what works for one rosacean may nor may not work for another, which is what has been dubbed the rosacea X-Factor. TTO should be diluted, usually a 50/50 ratio since as you discovered it is way to harsh on rosacea sensitive skin. The horse paste usually takes 12 weeks to get clearance but you should see improvement in a month. Just apply it on your red bumps at night, and then wash it off in the AM. There are a number of cosmetics that are designed to cover redness, as you know, IT Cosmetics was founded by Jamie Kern Lima who suffers from rosacea. Finally here are some tips on exercising and rosacea.
    I'm on a waiting list for a dermatologist. I've seen improvement in using the ivermectin for approx. 3.5 weeks now but still not enough. Yes the TTO is way too drying and harsh alone but I literally add it to everything, ivermectin, aloe, and moisturizer. To me though it feels good and gives me a cool soothing feeling compared to the usual stinging/throbbing. I watched the infomercial around Christmas time and had my mom get me the Bye Bye Foundation. It just didn't work for me for some reason. Way too greasy like it just won't absorb fully for like the first half of the day. I'm looking for CC creams. I've tried BB creams and that too was just too greasy for me.

Thank you for the links. I'll look into them.