Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: How do I choose between IPL and laser treatment?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    2

    Default How do I choose between IPL and laser treatment?

    Hi,

    I've only just started looking at this and it seems like a bit of a maze. My face is pretty red and looks a bit patchy because some bits are redder than others. I do flush with exercise and spicy food, but it's the persistent redness that's the main problem. I don't have any pimples or skin thickening, although there are a few broken blood vessels visible just under the skin in the reddest areas. I'm trying to figure out whether to go for laser or IPL, and what type - from what I've read so far, that's important too. If anyone can help me navigate through all the info that's out there, or just point me to a trustworthy FAQ, that'd be great.

    If it makes any difference, I have a fair complexion and fair hair. I think I am predisposed to rosacea but my skin has also taken some punishment from acne creams and then oral roaccutane / isotretinoin in my late teens (20 years ago now), and from the sun. I am pretty good with using sunscreen but my skin just doesn't seem to like the heat.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    144
    Country: Great Britain

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Hi,

    I've only just started looking at this and it seems like a bit of a maze. My face is pretty red and looks a bit patchy because some bits are redder than others. I do flush with exercise and spicy food, but it's the persistent redness that's the main problem. I don't have any pimples or skin thickening, although there are a few broken blood vessels visible just under the skin in the reddest areas. I'm trying to figure out whether to go for laser or IPL, and what type - from what I've read so far, that's important too. If anyone can help me navigate through all the info that's out there, or just point me to a trustworthy FAQ, that'd be great.

    If it makes any difference, I have a fair complexion and fair hair. I think I am predisposed to rosacea but my skin has also taken some punishment from acne creams and then oral roaccutane / isotretinoin in my late teens (20 years ago now), and from the sun. I am pretty good with using sunscreen but my skin just doesn't seem to like the heat.

    Thanks
    Hi,

    Sorry, didnít realise no one had replied to this thread. So, in my opinion, judging by your symptoms, Iíd suggest v Beam 100% of the time. Iíve had 15+ v Beams, at altering strengths, and they have done more for my rosacea than any other treatment. I had IPL in the conditions infancy, and they probably helped with flushing, but v Beam is far more effective. Bruising is key if you want to get rid of residual redness.

    Hope that helps


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    408

    Default

    I'd go for a laser (probably Vbeam or another 595 nm PDL if you have an experienced practitioner you're comfortable with) because it uses a specific wavelength that is best for targeting the vasculature. IPL uses a broad spectrum of light, and much more of the energy will get absorbed by tissues other than the vasculature. This is why IPL causes hair loss and depigmentation. That said, I still think the most important consideration is not the type of light but finding a physician who you feel very confident won't injure you, who does the treatments themselves rather than delegating them to a nurse or aesthetician, who owns their own equipment, and has done this thousands of times before.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    201
    Country: United States

    Default Yes!

    Quote Originally Posted by jrlhamcat2 View Post
    I'd go for a laser (probably Vbeam or another 595 nm PDL if you have an experienced practitioner you're comfortable with) because it uses a specific wavelength that is best for targeting the vasculature. IPL uses a broad spectrum of light, and much more of the energy will get absorbed by tissues other than the vasculature. This is why IPL causes hair loss and depigmentation. That said, I still think the most important consideration is not the type of light but finding a physician who you feel very confident won't injure you, who does the treatments themselves rather than delegating them to a nurse or aesthetician, who owns their own equipment, and has done this thousands of times before.
    Best comment ever. 100 percent agreed. You're much better off opting for a pulsed dye laser, not IPL, but make certain your physician is experienced in treating rosacea.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    2

    Default Thanks guys

    I've sent a few enquiries. Only response so far is recommending IPL, so maybe that's a sign that they are not that experienced with rosacea. I have seen some online articles though saying that IPL is good for generalised redness with Vbeam preferred if you are targeting blood vessels of 1mm plus. I'm in the generalised redness category, but hopefully that came through in my original post and the advice is still to go for Vbeam. Anyway, cheers.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    272
    Country: UK

    Default

    I've had both.. but I always tried to give PDL a wide berth. I had PDL all over the face in July 2018 and had IPL in November 2018. I should have given it a few more months, as some of the areas where PDL bruising was heaviest ended up looking worse.

    I had PDL again on those worser looking areas in January 2019 and it's still not done healing, but looking better.

    I'll be having IPL again but not for some time. I know IPL helps as the results were lots of speckled areas of blanched normal skin tone. This is good for my general ruddiness, but PDL was the first port of call for me as it really did the heavy lifting by pushing back the redness.

    IPL will be a good feathering effect too, since PDL will leave a blotchiness behind. These are the pockets of redness where the laser will miss. I guarantee you will have the circular effect from PDL as it is a spot treatment. IPL is a wider distribution of treatment and should be part of your follow up strategy once you have taken PDL as far as you can go with it.
    I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.

    • Read about my PDL and IPL, with videos.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darren1 View Post
    I've had both.. but I always tried to give PDL a wide berth. I had PDL all over the face in July 2018 and had IPL in November 2018. I should have given it a few more months, as some of the areas where PDL bruising was heaviest ended up looking worse.

    I had PDL again on those worser looking areas in January 2019 and it's still not done healing, but looking better.

    I'll be having IPL again but not for some time. I know IPL helps as the results were lots of speckled areas of blanched normal skin tone. This is good for my general ruddiness, but PDL was the first port of call for me as it really did the heavy lifting by pushing back the redness.

    IPL will be a good feathering effect too, since PDL will leave a blotchiness behind. These are the pockets of redness where the laser will miss. I guarantee you will have the circular effect from PDL as it is a spot treatment. IPL is a wider distribution of treatment and should be part of your follow up strategy once you have taken PDL as far as you can go with it.
    Do you know which manufacturer and model of PDL your doctor used? I haven't had the spotting or grid pattern from my two non-bruising PDL treatments. Some of the newer models using a larger spot size, which might make this problem easier to avoid.

    I did get blanched areas of my cheeks where IPL looked like it had punched holes in the redness, but the effect didn't seem very unnatural on my skin type, so it didn't bother me.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    201
    Country: United States

    Default

    I've also had both IPL and V Beam. I had 7 IPLs last year, each about a month apart, and honestly, the results were not the least bit impressive. It helped with my flushing, but after having had V Beam, I see now that even the improvement that I saw in that regard was rather minimal. And that, mind you, was after 7 treatments. They did basically nothing for the spots where I had permanent redness.

    In hindsight, I now see the money I spent on IPL as a waste. Should've done V Beam from the very beginning.

    But that, of course, is just my experience.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    272
    Country: UK

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jrlhamcat2 View Post
    Do you know which manufacturer and model of PDL your doctor used? I haven't had the spotting or grid pattern from my two non-bruising PDL treatments. Some of the newer models using a larger spot size, which might make this problem easier to avoid.

    I did get blanched areas of my cheeks where IPL looked like it had punched holes in the redness, but the effect didn't seem very unnatural on my skin type, so it didn't bother me.
    No idea about make and model, but the wavelength was 565nm with high energy, hence the heavy circular bruising.
    I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.

    • Read about my PDL and IPL, with videos.

Similar Threads

  1. Which laser should I choose? Help!
    By Soldierdown in forum Intense pulsed light and laser
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 7th May 2011, 10:46 AM
  2. Re: Treatment with ipl, laser, etc.
    By Jasmine 215 in forum Intense pulsed light and laser
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 9th July 2010, 02:15 AM
  3. To those who have had IPL/Laser treatment
    By sweden in forum Intense pulsed light and laser
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 3rd November 2007, 09:12 PM
  4. What to choose, Accutane or IPL?
    By lakan in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23rd June 2006, 05:04 AM
  5. IPL/laser vs Topical Treatment (SansRosa)
    By JR in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 6th March 2006, 10:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •