Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nothing Works

Default Nothing Works

Hi I have red cheeks from a periodf heavy drinking many years ago. I ve tried everything and I n now 4 IPL treatments in with 3 more to go but still see no improvements. I am being told it will improve but I m starting to lose faith. Any advise pls

V Beam is more effective than IPL in my opinion. A purpuric treatment is your best bet, just make sure youíre in the hands of a experienced practitioner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't lose hope. There are many in RF who report controlling their rosacea. I control it using the ZZ cream and restricting my diet. There are many, many, other ways to control rosacea and all you do is browse through RF and see how others are controlling it. There is no cure, but you can control the rosacea beast. RF has many, many who have tamed the beast.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Thanks for the replies. I will have a deeper look Into this forum

Quote Originally Posted by Seb91 View Post
    V Beam is more effective than IPL in my opinion. A purpuric treatment is your best bet, just make sure youíre in the hands of a experienced practitioner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I really believe a good doctor with a good vbeam laser can help you. IPLs did nothing for me

Quote Originally Posted by arb161 View Post
    I really believe a good doctor with a good vbeam laser can help you. IPLs did nothing for me
    To be fair, 3 IPLs is not much. I've had one IPL and noticed a tiny improvement (speckled blanched skin on the cheeks) but it was the PDL that did all of the heavy lifting and really pushed back the redness and helped reveal some of my true skin tone once more.

Having said that, I will actually be using IPL from now on, since PDL is too hit and miss - literally. I see pockets of faint pinkness on my face where the laser missed because it is so specific.

The IPL, on the other hand, is wider and generally treats the background redness.

I won't be having IPL again until I can afford it, so in the meantime, I'll be going back to my LED at-home treatments for the next 12 months or so.
    I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.

• Read about my PDL and IPL, with videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    Don't lose hope. There are many in RF who report controlling their rosacea. I control it using the ZZ cream and restricting my diet. There are many, many, other ways to control rosacea and all you do is browse through RF and see how others are controlling it. There is no cure, but you can control the rosacea beast. RF has many, many who have tamed the beast.
    Brady, I was wondering your opinion on vbeam laser for someone diagnosed with neurogenic rosacea? I also think that I have some overlapping with phenotype 1. My main trigger is heat of any kind. Anything above 62į triggers me. I carry a spray bottle and handheld fan everywhere I go even in my house. It has been debilitating for me. Iím on clonidine and propranolol with very little help. I flush in the evenings very bad every night. I also have a cream with ketamine and amitriptyline and lidocaine in it and that doesnít help that much either. My ears are also affected. Obviously my cheeks are the main concern. I also get redness on my forehead and chin and eyelids but not like a normal rosacea person, and when that happens my face tingles. In the evenings especially, my face itís very painful and swollen. I live in Florida which makes it very difficult. I used to get IPLs for cosmetic reasons and then I got this condition and I did four IPLís last summer to see if it would help and they did not help but I feel like they may have exacerbated my condition. So my question to you would be....would it be safe for me to try the Vbeam laser? One last thingÖ I just started LDN because there were success stories from other people on the forum. I am only on my 11th day but Iím hopeful. My next step is to check into medicinal cannabis cream or something like that because I canít take the heat and pain anymore. I have yet to find anybody else on this forum that has the heat problem like I do. I hear that they are affected by the heat but mine is a 24 seven constant problem.
    Please give me any tips or suggestions.
    I thank you in advance.

Angela

I suffer from from the heat and also carry a hand held fan.Evenings are the worst and I flush every night.Ipl also made my skin more reactive than before treatment.
    The worrying thing is that I now have permanent redness across cheeks and jawline accompanied with loads of dilated capillaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Ange4 View Post
    Brady, I was wondering your opinion on vbeam laser for someone diagnosed with neurogenic rosacea? I also think that I have some overlapping with phenotype 1. My main trigger is heat of any kind. Anything above 62į triggers me. I carry a spray bottle and handheld fan everywhere I go even in my house. It has been debilitating for me. I’m on clonidine and propranolol with very little help. I flush in the evenings very bad every night. I also have a cream with ketamine and amitriptyline and lidocaine in it and that doesn’t help that much either. My ears are also affected. Obviously my cheeks are the main concern. I also get redness on my forehead and chin and eyelids but not like a normal rosacea person, and when that happens my face tingles. In the evenings especially, my face it’s very painful and swollen. I live in Florida which makes it very difficult. I used to get IPLs for cosmetic reasons and then I got this condition and I did four IPL’s last summer to see if it would help and they did not help but I feel like they may have exacerbated my condition. So my question to you would be....would it be safe for me to try the Vbeam laser? One last thing… I just started LDN because there were success stories from other people on the forum. I am only on my 11th day but I’m hopeful. My next step is to check into medicinal cannabis cream or something like that because I can’t take the heat and pain anymore. I have yet to find anybody else on this forum that has the heat problem like I do. I hear that they are affected by the heat but mine is a 24 seven constant problem.
    Please give me any tips or suggestions.
    I thank you in advance.

Angela
    Angela - I know this isn't directed at me but thought i'd throw my 2 cents in anyway. Although I have been diagnosed with neurogenic rosacea, my vasculature is or was totally destabilized. I thought if I researched the best laser docs etc, then going that route would be bound to at least be partially helpful. I noticed that newish derms said "why not" type of thing, and were willing to try. Meanwhile 3 well-established derms did caution against it. I thought it was my only option though, and i regret doing the 3-4 excel v's / v beam's. I believe they did permanent damage + I wasted time and $.

I think if you are below a threshold, you might be helped, but one (young) derm said the goal is 50% at best but just realistically the goal is less the more severe the flusher is. My observation is that the more severe the flushing is, the more risky it is and more it might actually backfire. Because I think there is something unknown and likely patient-dependent driving these extreme flushing reactions that goes beyond "too many blood vessels" etc (eg I have a vascular compression of the trigeminal nerve on my worse side)

If I were you I'd try (since vasoactives aren't working for you): lidocaine iv, mexiletine (ramp up very slowly), possibly other sodium channel blockers (sodium channel blockers will stabilize the overactive sensory nerves - the heat/pain sensing nerves - in theory), medical marijuana (the THC helps to stabilize those sensory nerves in a different way, but is very vasodilating, so titrate very slowly!), gabapentin, cymbalta, possibly clonazepam/memantine/baclofen. Mexiletine is the oral analog of lidocaine but will be a drop in the bucket (in terms of amount) compared to a lidocaine iv. The lidocaine iv is done sometimes as a test first before long term mexiletine therapy.
    When I tried THC I had a higher heat (and cold) tolerance though it was tricky with my "time of day" episodes.
    If you are willing to fly to doctors in California I could suggest some of the best ones I've seen.
    Ive never had permanent damage from oral medication I think (though I titrate up/down very slowly).

Ok, I think I'm over my 2 cents! I apologize for coming across as a know-it-all or what not i just wish I never did laser...

Hope you are hanging in there.
    Last edited by laser_cat; 12th May 2019 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by red devil View Post
    I suffer from from the heat and also carry a hand held fan.Evenings are the worst and I flush every night.Ipl also made my skin more reactive than before treatment.
    The worrying thing is that I now have permanent redness across cheeks and jawline accompanied with loads of dilated capillaries.
    I sympathize.... <3
    My lasers definitely caused blood vessel growth for me. That only laser will be able to get rid of, lol.